I hear it a lot. Oh, geez, you don't need that thing (usually 44 mag). These bears around here don't hurt nobody. Yeah, right. Those have always sounded like "famous last words" to me. This was probably your typical family type campground but I'm still disappointed that the people injured and killed didn't appear to be "prepared" for this kind of thing. RIP.

Bear rampage

• Like 2

I hear it a lot. Oh, geez, you don't need that thing (usually 44 mag).

I'm thinking Mosin M38 for bear repellent on my next camping trip. That'll get the job done. :killer:

I'm with ya Dogman. If I'm in the woods, I'm carrying my .44 mag (and I'm only in black bear country). I read that story earlier, and I just watched Prophecy-the giant, mutated bear movie from 1979-last Sunday. Weird. I still want to camp in Montana someday, and I will.

People easily forget we humans are not the top of the food chain....always be prepared....:eek:

Also I noticed that this story is very strange compared to other animal attack stories. Very strange behavior from a bear. I know anytime you go into an animals habitat and change it, it changes them. But usually its just one attack and they run off. Seems like this bear was on a mission to ravage anything and everything. Wonder if its not sick or some thing else wrong with it...

Edited by Chevyman097

I'm thinking Mosin M38 for bear repellent on my next camping trip. That'll get the job done. :killer:

I'm with ya Dogman. If I'm in the woods, I'm carrying my .44 mag (and I'm only in black bear country). I read that story earlier, and I just watched Prophecy-the giant, mutated bear movie from 1979-last Sunday. Weird. I still want to camp in Montana someday, and I will.

+1 ktcm, in black bear country here too. I carry a Super Blackhawk 7" .44Mag in a Kodiak chest holster. Got trailed by a full grown Mountian lion a few years ago, taught me a lesson.

Sounds like a Grizz attack. They are just plain grumpy

• Like 1

People easily forget we humans are not the top of the food chain....always be prepared....:eek:

Also I noticed that this story is very strange compared to other animal attack stories. Very strange behavior from a bear. I know anytime you go into an animals habitat and change it, it changes them. But usually its just one attack and they run off. Seems like this bear was on a mission to ravage anything and everything. Wonder if its not sick or some thing else wrong with it...

I agree, sounds sick or maybe injured.

When I was a kid my family used to go camping in Yosemite every year and almost every time a bear would come into our camp and take food. Usually we could just scare them off by yelling and banging pots and pans around, they dont like the loud noises. One time though my mom brought one of her friends along and she had never been around a bear in the wild before, so when the bear came into the camp she FREAKED OUT, she was screaming and trying to run away. She convinced my mom to take her to the rangers station so she could report that there was a bear in the camp grounds. I did not go with them, but when they got back my moms friend was mad at the rangers because when she told them about the bear in our camp their reply was "Well ma'am did you do anything to bother the bear? This is their home, you are just visiting.". I thought it was pretty funny.

Nobody at that camp site was ever hurt by a bear that I am aware of. Although one time a bear broke out the back window to my uncles Bronco and took out one of the ice chests and started biting and clawing it to get the food inside. Another time my uncle had built a wooden chest to keep food in, it was about 8'x3'x3' and it was filled with food. A large brown bear came into the camp and wanted the food inside so he gave it a good swipe and knocked the entire thing over.

A couple years ago there was an article in (I think?) Western Horseman magazine by a woman upset at the wolf reintoduction program. She claimed that NOW she feels she has to carry a gun when horseback riding in the mountains. As if the Black Bears, Mountain Lions and Rattlers weren't enough of a reason. Let alone the Two Legged Snakes. I was livid for days about that one. Iirc, I even wrote a rebuttal, lol. At any rate, any damn fool that goes into the "wilds" without a weapon, deserves to get ate.

I've watched Black Bear stalk and attack Long Horns and like TimBob, I got tracked by a Mountain Lion once, damn erie feeling that is, as was mentioned, to be on the other end of the food chain.

But Chevy's right, it's odd for a critter to attack like that unless there's illness or famine involved.

UPDATE: They caught the bear in a trap after it came back to the same location where he killed the man. It was a female grizzly with three cubs. She wasn't protecting the cubs or anything like that when she attacked the first time. It didn't appear to have any health problems. It was apparently just a bear with a bad attitude.

I'm with the 44 mag.

Something powerful, small & quickly maneuverable & double action.

One person awoke to a bear chewing on her arm.

I'm no expert, but I think I'd rather manipulate a 44 mag one handed with a bear on my arm than try to manuver & ready a bolt action with one arm while being snacked on. :huh:

• Like 2

I'm with the 44 mag.

Something powerful, small & quickly maneuverable & double action.

One person awoke to a bear chewing on her arm.

I'm no expert, but I think I'd rather manipulate a 44 mag one handed with a bear on my arm than try to manuver & ready a bolt action with one arm while being snacked on. :huh:

Well, I'm an expert on sleeping in tents with guns in bear country and I think you're right. There is always something you need that other hand for. Either opening the zippered doors or windows to peer out or hold on to the dog who is trying to go after something. Not to mention getting up to take a piss. My 44 Ruger Redhawk DA fits the bill nicely but I have to admit I'm not real confident it is a good match for a grizzly bear. I'd much rather have my Beowulf .50 or S12 with Bernanke Black Magic bear slugs. Having the .44 is a compromise that I'm willing to live with for maneuverability. But I am starting to think that sometimes I might want the heavy artillery in there with me, too. Getting torn apart by a bear just really sucks.

• Like 1

[

Well, I'm an expert on sleeping in tents with guns in bear country and I think you're right. There is always something you need that other hand for. Either opening the zippered doors or windows to peer out or hold on to the dog who is trying to go after something. Not to mention getting up to take a piss. My 44 Ruger Redhawk DA fits the bill nicely but I have to admit I'm not real confident it is a good match for a grizzly bear. I'd much rather have my Beowulf .50 or S12 with Bernanke Black Magic bear slugs. Having the .44 is a compromise that I'm willing to live with for maneuverability. But I am starting to think that sometimes I might want the heavy artillery in there with me, too. Getting torn apart by a bear just really sucks.

The S- 12 AOW should be just the ticket for shooting a bear off your ankle while taking a piss....................

• Like 1

Coming from someone who has lived and camped in a tent in Montana, I can tell you many tips to keep bears out of camp. Mainly, keep food away from camp and strung up in trees. Bear spray is highly recommended. I know someone personally who used it on a Griz while Elk hunting and it really worked. A firearm may or may not stop the animal right away.

I have a buddy who is a Wildlife Biologist with Montana Fish & Game. He investigates bear attacks and bear kills. One year during hunting season, he and another guy had a bull Elk on the ground. In particular areas, the Grizzlys are commonly called "Dinner Bell Bears" as they know a gunshot means food on the ground for the taking. As one worked on dressing the Elk, the other stood watch. Sure enough, a large Grizzly boar charged them to take the Elk away. Both started shooting, hit the bear with eight .300 Win Mags, the final one that killed him was from about 10 ft away. As my friend investigates bear kills, he examined the wounds and determined seven were kill shots in the vitals, the eighth was a head shot. Once these bears are amped up, they have so much adreneline pumping through them, their body will continue to function for a few seconds even with an exploded heart which can be enough time for them to get a hold of you.

The same friend was down in Yellowstone doing some kind of bear study one year and watched a Black Bear kill a mature cow Elk. As they were observing, a Grizzly came in and killed the Black Bear for the Elk. That being said, Grizzlys are nasty critters at the top of the food chain up there. The standard drill if attacked by a Grizzly is to play dead as they would rather (normally) eat your carcass after it starts to decay. They will normally hide you under some brush and crap for a later meal. If a Black Bear attacks, it is the opposite. You need to fight/flee for your life as it will rip you to pieces even if you pretend you are dead. The Blacks are easier to kill with a firearm however. Sorry to hear about these attacks but it is what happens when you step into their turf. Yellowstone bears are worse as they are used to humans BTW.

• Like 1

That's a lot of good points. I'd like to weigh in on a few.

1. I agree the .44 is the minimum standard for bear country and is better than screwing around with a carbine in close quarters. Cor-Bon makes a 305 grain, hard cast, and a 305 grain soft cast expander round. Either one would be good for bear defence. A lot of people moved up to .454, .50, and .460-my favorite, but the Cor-Bon/.44 combo has less recoil.

2. Bear spray is excellent if you're in open space and upwind. Try that in a collapsed tent at point blank range and now you have hot sauce in your eyes, throat, lungs, and wounds!

3. For a worry free sleep in a tent, they make a small electric fence that circles your entire campsite that runs off a battery and solar charger. Wildlife film crews have been using them with good results for years.

4. 8 shots with a .300 Win mag and still kicking is down right scary. At over 100 yards, they have the energy of a .44 at the muzzle. It just goes to show that 'know your enemy' is the best defence. Sadly, with all the urban sprawl, we're going to see more encounters with animals in the years to come, and the results are bad for people and worse for the critters.

• Like 1

I camp and hike with my .44 mag. If I am only hiking I take my AK with a loaded 40 round magazine. When other hikers ask why I am packing it, I ask why they are NOT packing good iron. There are so many good camping areas that I stay away from crowded National Parks, where guns are a no-no. I will be No Lunch!!!

I camp and hike with my .44 mag. If I am only hiking I take my AK with a loaded 40 round magazine. When other hikers ask why I am packing it, I ask why they are NOT packing good iron. There are so many good camping areas that I stay away from crowded National Parks, where guns are a no-no. I will be No Lunch!!!

Guns are OK in NPs now as long as they don't interfere with local laws. Not that I ever gave a shit anyway.

Guns are OK in NPs now as long as they don't interfere with local laws. Not that I ever gave a shit anyway.

Beat me to it Dogman. Next time I'm back up north and cruising Yellowstone or Yosemite, I'm loaded for bear, pun intended!

This ^^^

Cool, Guns are allowed! Too bad my Dog is treated like small pox in Nat. Parks!! Can't take 'em anywhere in the parks. Not even on a leash. But at least I can take the ol'.44 to see old Faithful now! Hmmm... Now I want to see how it works to take an AK over your shoulder to see the sights!