My first Saiga 12 build - Thanks Everyone !!

Thanks to everyone here and the wealth of information, I finally completed my first Saiga 12 build. I checked the things that needed to be checked. I also polished the bolt to enhance reliability.

I had one failure to feed and one failure to extract in the first 5 rounds (using Winchester Universal). After 50 rounds of NobelSport LE 2 3/4 12 pellet 00 Buckshot my Saiga 12 fired the Winchester Universal without any malfunctions. I fired the following:

50 rounds - Centurion LE 2 3/4 Multi-Defense Buck

50 rounds - Federal LE Tactical Flitecontrol 8 Pell. OO Buck (1145 fps)

50 rounds - Federal LE Tactical Full Power 9 pell. OO Buck (1325 fps)

20 rounds - Federal Personal Defense Low Recoil 9 pell. OO Buck (1145 fps)

20 rounds - Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 8 Pellet OO Buckshot

50 rounds - Winchester Universal 2 3/4, 7 1/2 shot

The only malfunctions were in the first 5 rounds with the light Winchester Universals. No other malfunctions occurred with all the rounds expended. I'm a happy camper! :)

DSCN2683.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2686.jpg

DSCN2682.jpg

DSCN2685.jpg

Edited by Sam Cro

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out what color to refinish the receiver and barrel with.

The grip is a modified MD Arms "Molot" style grip. I reshaped the grip slightly and took off the lover finger groove. I textured the grip with my "Urazame" texture and the forearm with my "Urazame" and "Tawashi" patterns for more grip.

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out what color to refinish the receiver and barrel with.

The grip is a modified MD Arms "Molot" style grip. I reshaped the grip slightly and took off the lover finger groove. I textured the grip with my "Urazame" texture and the forearm with my "Urazame" and "Tawashi" patterns for more grip.

Sam Cro (as in Son's of Anarchy?) how did you do the texture, is it a spray on?

Sam Cro (as in Son's of Anarchy?) how did you do the texture, is it a spray on?

Not sure how Sam Cro did his but it looks like he used a soldering iron. I know a guy that does that to a lot of his polymer framed pistols.

It actually works quite well and improves the grip, especially if your hand are wet.

Others that has done stippling/texturing can use a soldering iron or a wood burners kit.

My technique that I developed for customizing polymer framed pistols uses heat and a home made tool similar to a branding iron. These tools have my patterns carved into them. The key element is prepping the surface to get textured and watching the temperature. Too much heat can compromise the polymers structural integrity.

That makes sense, as I noticed some similarities there, (I have 2 MD Molot grips myself). But of course the single finger groove and texturing were different.

Great job, man! :up:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are current pictures of my Saiga 12. I refinished it in O.D. Duracoat. Tune the trigger assembly. Radiused the trigger edges and reprofiled the bolt hold open lever. Also, retextured the MD Arms "Molot" grip. Also pictured is my Arsenal SGL-31 (5.45x39).

DSCN2687.jpg

DSCN2690.jpg

DSCN2688.jpg

DSCN2689.jpg