East St. Louis is in IL and not actually part of the city of St. Louis which is in MO.

The Illinois State Police (according to the article) do work for the city of East St. Louis. Well guess what, the ISP is laying off (has done or is going to) a portion of its troopers on the payroll as well.

East St. Louis was not a pretty place to be in previous to this article, hate to see how it turns in the months to come.

I feel for the guys that have lost the means to provide for their families. At the same time, apathy has gotten us into this situation. The people of this Country may need to go through some tough times and take their personal safety into their own hands to get control of this. I understand that this is a foreign thought for most of this Country but it doesn't mean it's wrong. People united in their own communities can really be far more effective than the police if necessity requires it of them.

When seconds count, the police are only minut... errrrr... not going to show up.

This is going to become the norm as the economy keeps going down the shitter.

SCOTUS has already ruled that the police have no duty to protect us, they are primarily investigative... Defend what is yours!

I had to LOL a bit.

people really do cut their own throats, especially within Unions, and all their perks, bonuses, extended vacations time and retirement/pension plans.

The city official was absolutely correct, many city employees use (misuse) as perks, city vehicles/fuel.

Not to mention a host of other wastes, e.g. office supply theft.

I bet the vehicle maintenance/fuel costs, if saved, could have funded a police officers or firemans job.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Good point on this being EAST St. Louis.

This could just be a hardball negotiating tactic. If the police won't give, just lay them off and make them negotiate their jobs back. That process will be, obviously, unmerciful to the police.

Then again, maybe the police have managed to piss the powers the be off so bad at this point that they want PAYBACK and they're not willing to negotiate this. It may be about getting rid of a bunch of malcontents.

However, when Reagan fired the PATCO air traffic controllers back in 1980, the controllers didn't just "go away." Many of them had air-band radios and they started giving false clearances and instructions to airliners - to seriously fuck air traffic up. They wanted to send a message to Reagan that YOU DO NOT FUCK WITH US LIKE THIS OR YOU WILL PAY THE PRICE.

I wonder how many of the laid off police will want to send a message like that to the E St. Louis Mayor... "You thought the crime rate was high before.... Hee hee, just watch it NOW MOTHER FUCKER!"

East St. Louis Illinois, located across the Mississippi River from St. Louis MO, has been a shit hole for thirty or forty years, even poked fun of in National Lampoon's movie with Chevy Chase. The area is filled with strip joints and drug dealers. The city government is traditionally corrupt, and a former (black) mayor had bodyguards carrying full auto weapons even though they are illegal in Illinois. I live in a St. Louis suburb and thus hear about all the crap there on the local news.