Range Day at ImpactZone

NinerRider, Keith from Tac47, Raoul_Duke and I all hit the range on Saturday to give our opinion on the auto plug and to function test a new 8" shorty that Keith is working on (along with the usual clay shooting and various rifle's we bring out). No Dragunov action this trip because we ended up burning through a crapload of shotgun ammo and had a hard time doing anything other than clays.

I think I fell in love with the 8" shorty...no failures of any kind including a mag dump of all 3" magnums (but my shoulder is still feeling that one). There is something wickedly simple about it, it's extremely pointable and pretty darn good for busting clays. Recoil doesn't feel any stronger than my 18.5" S12 and I didn't notice the blast coming back at me. I think my only preference would be a Russian triangle folder and a picatinny rail under the gas block for mounting something like an X300 light, but otherwise I think it's damn near perfect. You can see from one of the pics that it's a bit awkward with the 12 round drum so maybe a VFG would make it a little handier, but I doubt I'd be using a drum so I'm ok with it as is.

Thoughts on the auto plug:

It works really well as far as I can see. This is the first time I've used it and so was interested to see how well it runs...I was impressed, it ate everything we threw at it in mixed mags ranging from Federal 7 1/4 birdshot to high brass to 3" magnums. I concentrated on mag dumps as fast as I could and was getting a good rate of fire, the plug seems to handle changes between high and low brass really well and never stalled or choked no matter how fast the mag got dumped. My observations are subjective but I didn't feel any difference between high and low brass when I was shooting...I'm not entirely sure if that's the plug's doing or if I wasn't paying attention, but during the mag dumps it all generally felt the same ... minus the 3" magnums which probably nothing on earth will tame.

I only ran into one issue with the plug near the end of the day when mag dumping Winchester Bulk Pack, I had a couple FTE's out of about 3 mag dumps / 24 rounds. Overall it seemed to do fine with Winchester in everyone else's guns but compared to every other kind of ammo I'd already shot with no problems, it did give my S12 some issues. If we had more time I would have liked to burn through another few hundred of the Winchester, but maybe next trip.

Definately had a really good outing, the plug is interesting and seems to work well. Most of all I enjoyed the 8" shorty...that thing is a piece of work :)

Niner and Raoul engaging clays

NinerS12_RaoulTromix12_Clays01.jpg

NinerS12_RaoulTromix12_Clays02.jpg

Keith function testing the shorty

Tac47_8InchShortRounds.jpg

Tac47_8InchShorty1round-01.jpg

Tac47_8InchShorty1round-02.jpg

Niner_8InchShort2rounds.jpg

Me simulating full auto with the shorty

Z_8InchShort2rounds.jpg

Z_8InchShort3rounds.jpg

Z_8InchShort_2rounds02.jpg

Z_ShortyClay.JPG

SLR105 withj PK-AS red dot

NinerSLR105LamPK-ASLeft.jpg

Niner's new SLR105 with magnificiently refinished wood (did it himself and came out great)

NinerSLR105RefinishedLam.jpg

SLR107UR restored to black finish

NinerSLR107URBlack.jpg

Z

TxZen- I'm just curious, does your gun have issues with with the Winchester ammo when you are using a regular plug?

Wit the stock plug I couldn't reliably shoot the bulk pack at all. After using the Tac47 adjustable plug I could mag dump all day and it ran flawlessly, with the auto plug prototype it had those few FTE's that I mentioned. I don't think the auto plug (or any plug for that matter) guarantees any gun can fire the crappiest ammo 100% of the time, but it did fine by me.

Z

My god it was hot out there and I am really used to the heat. Well, Keith the crack dealer has got us hooked on another gun. On our trip out to the range Tx-Zen and I were contemplating our next project guns and neither of us had an SBS on our list, for me it was an AK54R or a Izzy 5.45, for Tx-Zen it was a Tula krink or a Izzy 5.45. On the trip home we both had that post high glazed look on our faces, we both keep saying yeah gotta have an SBS. Tx-Zen is flat out amazing on mag dumps from any S-12 configuration, he makes the rest of us look stupid slow. I had shot Tx-Zen's SLR-105 and really liked it so when the right deal came around I snatched up a 105 and put on some Bulgy wood furniture that I was refinishing. I am blown away, it is a really fine weapon and it is so easy to shot. Raoul Duke always has fun toys and the suppressed 5.45 was really cool. Can't wait till the 107UR can come and stay at my house!

Did the gun show any sign that the carrier hit the rear trunion with the 3" magnums? Are there any provisions in the plug design to tailor your pressure range? In any event if you ran birdshot and magnum loads without short stroking or over travel that's pretty damn impressive. Did you try it out on the shorty and full length S12's?

Did the gun show any sign that the carrier hit the rear trunion with the 3" magnums? Are there any provisions in the plug design to tailor your pressure range? In any event if you ran birdshot and magnum loads without short stroking or over travel that's pretty damn impressive. Did you try it out on the shorty and full length S12's?

That is funny, this same subject came up on the 5.45 section when Tx-Zen posted pics over there. I naturally shot any gun AR, AK, or otherwise by holding the magazine, I have had fore-grips on my shotguns but ended taking one off and leaving the other one on. The only case where I personally like having the fore-grip is when we shoot drums on the shotgun. When we toke Sonny Puzikas class last May I noticed he griped the magazine as well, so I figured if a Spetsnaz was doing it it couldn't be to bad.

My god it was hot out there and I am really used to the heat. One big NO SHIT to that, I got pretty sunburned! Raoul Duke always has fun toys and the suppressed 5.45 was really cool. Thank you, but that was a 7.62. Not that it really matters, just FYI.

That was a great trip! :up: Aside from the aforementioned heat, I can't complain.

I've used a mag hold on AK's for a long time, anyone that actually shoots AK's alot knows how hot HG's can get. Square range shooting is one thing where you can take a break but during any kind of sustained shooting heat is a factor to be considered and if you use a rail system it can be especially problematic. To me the mag hold is natural, makes sense and you get decent real world accuracy, plus you don't have to use a VFG which I don't care for. Transitions to offhand are easier and maybe quicker too, in my subjective (and non expert) opinion.

Overall it feels more fluid than other stances I've tried where your forearm is way way out on the HG's...while I understand how that technique can improve accuracy, it's always felt forced and seems too over engineered in real world conditions, for me anyway.

Also not sure if the carrier was hitting the trunnion under 3" magnums because I didn't think to look, but again subjectively speaking it didn't feel like the recoil was considerably higher than 2 3/4's, plus the ejection distance was nearly the same except for one particular brand of 3" turkey loads which ejected a bit further. FWIW I felt that the recoil with 3" magnums was the same or maybe slightly less than shooting the same ammo on the Gunfixer or Tac47 plug on position 1, but again things were happening fast and it was hard to get past my sh*t eating grin after each mag dump, so don't take it as the final word.

Here's Raoul's suppressed 7.62 Saiga, pretty neat:

Raoul_SaigaSuppressed02.JPG

Z

Go to about 1 min 50 seconds in this video and see what a 7.62 AK does when fired. The carrier coming in contact with the trunnion isn't an issue. Slamming the hell out of the trunnion is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD7palHcaqE&hd=1

Slamming the hell out of the rear trunion is what I was refering to. Most properly gassed S12's will beat the shit out of the rear trunion if you have it set to run light loads and change over to slugs or 3" magnums without changing your gas setting. That's a extreme range of loads. If the new self regulating plug allows you to change from bird shot to the heavy stuff with no FTF/FTE issues and no beating the shit out of the gun then I'd have to say it's a winner if it holds up. Good stuff, hope to hear more reports of success.