Isn't there a single NON-Arsenal Saiga for sale anywhere???

I am sick and tired of seeing these over-priced Arsenal AK's everywhere. Sure, they're great, but I don't have the kind of money to throw at people on something I can easily do myself (conversion).

I want to buy just a plain ole go to hell saiga 5.45x39 without paying some gouger an exorbitant amount.

Is there such a thing right now??? I'm on a very tight budget and was going to do 3 gun comp this year; I will be completely out of luck if I have to wait another 6 months for a saiga 5.45x39 and that's the only ammo I can afford to use currently. From what I have read, all the other AK74's have very low/spotty quality control and I don't want to take a risk. Can someone help me?

Please excuse the weary, desperate tone--I have been searching all over the dang place and can't find a single one for sale; I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

• Like 1

Ok I'm looking at paying $435 ($384 + $25 ship + $25 transfer) where I should be paying $350 + 35 tax= around $385 from the local shop when they were in stock. Online even, they were $390 for everything included. I just don't have the funds to pay more and then still have enough to do a conversion.

What worries me also is that he Only accepts Money Order--what's the deal with that? There's just no accountability for me to make sure:

1. It's in good condition

2. he'll actually send it

3. if it's a lemon, I'm screwed and can't get a refund or exchange....

ugh if only Izmash would import more soon...may have to settle for a century arms POS that may or may not have a proper 5.45 barrel instead of the POS US made 5.56 barrels a lot of theirs have...

yes..you're right...I just don't feel comfortable with the listing either. Any AK74's that are decent and around $400? I'm just going to have to settle; I need something for 3 gun comp and it doesn't need to be a tack driver; was wanting a 2 MOA like the saiga, but will settle for a 3 MOA AK74...

Thanks for the help...this is just a very frustrating time and I wish I had gotten one sooner...

There really isn't much difference between Saiga's and AK74's as far as accuracy goes and generally speaking a 5.45 Saiga isn't going to outshoot a regular 74 anyway. Not sure where you've heard that Saiga's are 2 MOA vs 3 MOA for other types but I wouldn't take that as the gospel, I'd expect 3-4 MOA for all of them.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to bust your balls, but there really isn't as much of a price difference as you might think between the Arsenals and sporters:

An SGL is basically an AK74M with a fixed stock and semi auto FCG...A sporter Saiga is a commercial grade civilian rifle and not in quite the same league as an SGL. Some people don't care about all the front end work or having a 'proper' 74, they just wants something that shoots and I don't blame them...but the difference in price isn't just Arsenal ripping everyone off, there are parts onboard the SGL's that the sporters don't have and you can't forget that those have some kind of value also. The SGL31 is already converted when you buy it...therefore there are no holes to weld up, no trigger guards to move and they've already put in the 922R compliant FCG. It also already has 922R compliant furniture added, proper upper and lower HG's and a 24mm front site block with US made 74 brake in addition to the 1000m rear sight leaf. None of that may matter to you, but those are the significant differences which change the cost of the rifle vs a sporter. Neither is really going to outshoot the other IMO, but they are different from each other.

Again, you may or may not care, but here are some of the reason why the prices are so different:

Furniture: $75-100

FCG: $35-45

Upper and lower HG: Cheap to buy your own HG retainer but then you have to either make a custom mod to it yourself or press off your FSB and gas block, not everyone can do that at home. Dinzag charges $50+ for his HG retainer for example

FSB: $40 used

74 Brake: $50-100 depending on what you get

Labor: ???

If you add them up you're looking at roughly $200 or more, not counting labor to get a sporter into the same configuration...if you add that to the cost of the uncoverted sporter you'll probably see that the price isn't so far off from the SGL after all.

Granted all AK's are overpriced today but comparing the SGL to uncoverted isn't a big a gap as you might think. And even if you skip all the front end work on your own conversion you're still looking at roughly $100 in compliance parts anyway...so now the $400 sporter is still going to cost close to $500. It's the nature of the beast, which is why when the 5.45's came out I skipped them and held out for the SGL31. Ultimately there isn't that big of a price difference IMO and I ended up with a nice 74M without having to put any effort at all. I enjoyed my 7.62 conversion experiences but again the savings wasn't enough to keep doing all the work myself when I did the math on the SGL31's.

If you want a really cost effective shooter, save up a couple hundred more and scour around for an SLR105. They've been going for about $650 lately and are still amoung the best (if not the best) 5.45 rifles on the market, especially because prices are very close to what they sold for back in 2005.

Z

It's mainly a balance between budget and quality. With the parts and doing the conversion myself (if I get a rifle for $400 total), I come out to about $530 at Most. I actually like the saiga type/longer handguard and I wouldn't want that part converted; just the grip, stock, and bullet guide. The problem I have about Arsenal is that they charge a premium for their parts and their labor, plus they add on a bunch of frills/bells and whistles that I would never care to use. To my understanding, they used to charge $500 as well and now it's $800...

I can't find a SLR31 for under $800, but I'll start looking. I found a saiga in 5.45 on AKfiles forums that is EXACTLY how I want it for $500, but I just created a profile and can't send the seller a dang email or pm! I emailed the moderator; hopefully I can get ahold of this guy and hopefully it's for sale still when and if I do. Can someone who has an account on there message this seller for me and get him to contact me?

With the parts and doing the conversion myself (if I get a rifle for $400 total), I come out to about $530 at Most.

Thats my exact point about quality vs cost...SLR105 is about $120 more than a converted sporter but you get the whole package...complete 80's era AK74, effectively designed 74 pattern brake and the proven track record of the SLR105 in the field...and no work needed on them, no worries about tapping for a bullet guide or getting compliance parts. No one complains about them...for good reason. To me that's worth $120 bucks easy.

Not saying anything about your comments at all but honestly sometimes I can't understand why people are always looking to get the best AK on the market for under $400...they just don't exist at that level (and people seem to get pretty bent out of shape when they can't find them in that price range). IMO AK quality in 5.45's increases in $100-$150 slices...bottom of the barrel for $350, converted sporter for $500ish, used top of the line SLR105 for $650, brand new in box Izzy built SGL31 for $800. It's easy to see the difference between the bottom of the barrel and the SGL31, it's a lot tougher to judge the value in the middle.

Your logic is understandable and again I'm not pointing a finger at you, but I thought I'd lend my .02 cents having owned SGL31's, an SLR105, an SLR107UR and sporter Saiga's including S12's. All in all the SLR105 is probably the best of them dollar for dollar especially if you factor in time and effort involved.

I don't have a membership over at akfiles or I'd lend a hand, but in any case best of luck to you seriously. 5.45 is a hell of a round and I've been more than happy with it, so much so that I don't any 7.62 rifles anymore. I'm sure you'll really like it too, especially at 300+ yards

Z

With the parts and doing the conversion myself (if I get a rifle for $400 total), I come out to about $530 at Most.

Thats my exact point about quality vs cost...SLR105 is about $120 more than a converted sporter but you get the whole package...complete 80's era AK74, effectively designed 74 pattern brake and the proven track record of the SLR105 in the field...and no work needed on them, no worries about tapping for a bullet guide or getting compliance parts. No one complains about them...for good reason. To me that's worth $120 bucks easy.

Not saying anything about your comments at all but honestly sometimes I can't understand why people are always looking to get the best AK on the market for under $400...they just don't exist at that level (and people seem to get pretty bent out of shape when they can't find them in that price range). IMO AK quality in 5.45's increases in $100-$150 slices...bottom of the barrel for $350, converted sporter for $500ish, used top of the line SLR105 for $650, brand new in box Izzy built SGL31 for $800. It's easy to see the difference between the bottom of the barrel and the SGL31, it's a lot tougher to judge the value in the middle.

Your logic is understandable and again I'm not pointing a finger at you, but I thought I'd lend my .02 cents having owned SGL31's, an SLR105, an SLR107UR and sporter Saiga's including S12's. All in all the SLR105 is probably the best of them dollar for dollar especially if you factor in time and effort involved.

I don't have a membership over at akfiles or I'd lend a hand, but in any case best of luck to you seriously. 5.45 is a hell of a round and I've been more than happy with it, so much so that I don't any 7.62 rifles anymore. I'm sure you'll really like it too, especially at 300+ yards

Z

My opinion is that the Saigas have to come down to $250 or below to become economically viable again.

This is probably the reason why we're seeing such a slow fill time to replenish Saiga inventory.

They know the price has to come down but they don't want to do it. They are trying to make sure every Saiga in stock is completely sold out so that they don't leave retailers in the lurch. That's my guess. If it was K-var, they'd say phuk the retailers and just start selling them direct for $199 which would be awesome ( at least for us).

• 2 weeks later...

No joy with Classic Arms.

We currently have none in factory stock configuration.

We do have one that is stock configuation (non-converted) with a threaded muzzle. The price for it is $499.00 + $30.00 S&H&Ins.

I thought all 5.45's came with threads under the FSB sleeve? Doesn't matter. I'm going to cut the barrel...

And the waiting game continues...

Yeah classicarms.us's main page does say:

SAIGA CARBINE RIFLES

7.62X39, - .223 - OR, - 5.45X39 ARE AVAILABLE ALL AT THE SAME GREAT PRICE........ $339.95

But if you go to their online order page:

LNGSAIGA-545 RIFLE, SAIGA 5.45 CALIBER - RUSSIAN MADE WITH 10 ROUND MAG $339.95 No(In-Stock)

:(

• 5 weeks later...

Classic arms is sold out--already called. Everyone is sold out. Your BEST chance is to buy a used one, that's what I did.

Just like Classy said a few weeks ago Atlantic Firearms has some. I just ordered one last week and it's going to be at my FFL on Monday. When I spoke with them they didn't have many left so if you want one before the next shipment then pick one up. I paid $400 for mine after shipping. To me not a bad deal to some maybe it is but I wasn't going to wait possibly months for the next shipment to come in. I sure wasn't going to get a CAI after reading their bad rap either. So if you want a 5.45x39 I suggest hurrying up and getting one from Atlantic Firearms.

Forgot about this thread. I eventually found one on Gunbroker.

Just posted this in an unrelated thread...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191803562

Great guy to work with.

Got mine last week.

Good communication over the phone.

Gave me a UPS tracking# right away.

Believe he has a hand full left. At least one as of time of this post...

Price shipped is on par with the normal places too.