Krink flash hider

Not the worst idea and it probably won't do much immediate harm in semi auto, but it really is designed to boost Krink backpressure to keep the weapon from stalling under full auto.

I'd imagine the main effects will be damage to the rear trunnion due to increased recoil force on a full size barrel but who knows? I'd suspect that a 7.62 bolt carrier recoils with more force than an increased back pressure 5.45 anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

Z

That's something to look into. But since my gas tube is (will be) vented anyway, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Those vents are cosmetic. Any AK will run without one. It's just there to guide the gas piston into the gas block.

It's the gas port in your barrel that is responsible for the operation of the weapon.

Edited by nalioth

To make sure we're on the same page, you're saying that these holes do nothing?

First off, please don't stick BMP files up here. They suck, just like their pimp and carrier.

2nd, nope, those holes just look cool :)

All the action takes place inside the gas block. Smooth gas tube, vented gas tube - it makes no difference.

Fuller says the bulgy 4 piece flash hider is for 12" or shorter barrels. Just glancing at the copy I'm sure this should be put in the same category.

Don't use this on a 16" barrel. This will beat the crap out of your rear trunnion, trunnion rivets, and bolt carrier.

There are better flash hiders.

I've been trying to get a clear answer on that for a while.

Dumped some info in this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=54497&st=0&p=511104

As soon as I find someone in the area who will do some high speed video for free I'm going to buy the most popular flash hiders, rent out a range, and do some cheapo tests.

My GUESS is vortex will be the best hider. Curious to see if I can get some examples of the "ping" noise it makes though.

If you're going to permanently attach a FH, I don't see any choices other than phantom.

Great video here:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/03/24/smith-vortex-vs-aac-blackout/

You can actually hear the "ping" of the Vortex and the blackout. Shame. Would love to use either.

can really hear the ping in this one. AAC has a slightly different pitch.

Edited by jamesavery22

After watching those vids a few times I'm sold on the Phantom. Putting 1/2"-28 threads on an AK barrel and using a vortex or blackout is a nice idea. I'd just never want that ping. The idea of my rifle making a tuning fork noise while its not firing is a deal breaker for me.

Sure the Phantom doesn't have as much flash hiding ability but its still damn good. In that "shooter perspective" vid its very little and thats in pitch black. I'd much rather a split second tiny flash than a minute long semi-quiet "here I am" hum.

Putting 1/2"-28 threads on an AK barrel and using a vortex or blackout is a nice idea.

Why would you want to do that?

Vortex with native 14x1LH threads.

[]http://www.novarata.net/abrams/ak/ak_625.JPG[/]

If you permanently attach it and want to use that companies suppressor later.

Think this config: http://warriortalk.com/showpost.php?p=998618&postcount=1461