New Saiga 12 - factory mag won't catch

Howdy. Just bought my first Saiga 12 yesterday at a gun show. Got it home, took it out of the box and the factory mag won't lock in.

I know, I shoulda checked at the show but they gave me a brand new in the box, rather than the display and I didn't think to check.

It looks like the tab on the back of the magazine is too tall. Either that or the magazine catch lever is too tall.

Looks like 1/16'' would need to be filed off one or the other before the magazine would be able to lock in.

Is this normal? In another post someone mentioned that all that should have been checked by the factory before it went out the door.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums.

Totally normal, mine was like that too.

Except in very rare cases, you should not file the mag catch on the gun.

You fit the mag to the gun.

Do a search on mag fitting or look in the MD Arms section for info on

fitting their drum, it's pretty close to the same idea.

• Like 2

Howdy. Just bought my first Saiga 12 yesterday at a gun show. Got it home, took it out of the box and the factory mag won't lock in.

I know, I shoulda checked at the show but they gave me a brand new in the box, rather than the display and I didn't think to check.

It looks like the tab on the back of the magazine is too tall. Either that or the magazine catch lever is too tall.

Looks like 1/16'' would need to be filed off one or the other before the magazine would be able to lock in.

Is this normal? In another post someone mentioned that all that should have been checked by the factory before it went out the door.

Thanks in advance!

Mine did that, too. you have to push it way down in the front before you tilt it down to click. Funny, but my remedy was to put one shot shell in the mag and then it went in just fine. Ever since it caught the first time, it has clicked in fine every time.

Welcome to the forums.

Totally normal, mine was like that too.

Except in very rare cases, you should not file the mag catch on the gun.

You fit the mag to the gun.

Do a search on mag fitting or look in the MD Arms section for info on

fitting their drum, it's pretty close to the same idea.

Actually it is exactly the same. Only if you were lucky enough to get a factory instruction sheet the factory doesn't mention what I refer to as the A fitting and only cover the B fitting. I have seen many factory mags butchered on the B fitting to account for the A fitting becasue of this... The factory must not be fitting the mags as much as they use to because I am hereing this more and more. Remember when you would find the last 4 of your serial number penciled in on the 5rd mags? Hey Dirks, does your mag have the last for penciled in on it?

• Like 1

As a matter of fact,the last 4 of the serial is penciled in on the factory mag. Didn't know what that was. Does that mean that someone supposedly checked the fit?

There is no way any amount of pushing is going to get it to click in - there is at least a good 1/16'' extra thickness on the magazine tab that is stopping it from going in far enough to seat properly.

As a matter of fact,the last 4 of the serial is penciled in on the factory mag. Didn't know what that was. Does that mean that someone supposedly checked the fit?

There is no way any amount of pushing is going to get it to click in - there is at least a good 1/16'' extra thickness on the magazine tab that is stopping it from going in far enough to seat properly.

Check this thread out. Pay more attention to the pics with the areas to fit. It is VERY likely the thickness you are looking at is not the area of interference. I am guessing it is the A fitting you need. That is way, way more common than the B, but it will always look like a B if you don't look for the A first. The side pics showing tower to receiver alignment is not relevant for you with a 5rd mag. ALSO NOTE... the A fitting is the back surface of the rear mag catch, NOT the top surface. You need to thin front to back, NOT up and down from the top surface. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=30195

• Like 1

Mine didn't fit at first either. I stuck it in there, and gave it a sharp smack to the front of the mag, and it went in (gentle pressure didn't do it, I had to whack it). After doing that a while, it goes in fine now. I didn't have to file, it wore in eventually.

Listen to Mike D.

He's the S-12 Mag MASTER in the US, when it comes to troubleshooting & engineering them.

I've read many many posts on many mags & written many repair tutorials myself. This guy is one of the few who actually notices the minute details that lead to reliability. The smallest overlooked detail can lead to an unreliable mag & this man has the capacity to recognize those details.

It's commonly known that a mag is right up there with the hardest part of a firearm to design, hence why so many pistols are built around dependable mags.

Listen to Mike D.

He's the S-12 Mag MASTER in the US, when it comes to troubleshooting & engineering them.

I've read many many posts on many mags & written many repair tutorials myself. This guy is one of the few who actually notices the minute details that lead to reliability. The smallest overlooked detail can lead to an unreliable mag & this man has the capacity to recognize those details.

It's commonly known that a mag is right up there with the hardest part of a firearm to design, hence why so many pistols are built around dependable mags.

Thank you for the VERY kind words!

And I am reading of people forcing their mags in with hard hits... DO NOT SMACK, WHACK, BEAT, or FORCE your mags in people. Yes, It may have worked for you... But you very well might soon find your rear mag catch falling off your mag and your mag hitting the ground. You may also flex and warp your receiver out under the front mag catch... It's a damn shame we have to screw with fitting mags, I know, trust me I know... But there is definately a right and wrong way. That is ONE right way and many, many wrong ways...

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what's the smallest a rear mag catch can go while still maintaining it's structural and strength integrity?

One of my guns requires both "a" and "b" fitting done on all mags, and quite a bit of material generally has to be removed. The mags fit perfectly when I'm done...no slop or wiggle room, but it kills me to have to remove so much material. Is this area a high stress point on the mag (like the front lip)?

Out of curiosity, what's the smallest a rear mag catch can go while still maintaining it's structural and strength integrity?

One of my guns requires both "a" and "b" fitting done on all mags, and quite a bit of material generally has to be removed. The mags fit perfectly when I'm done...no slop or wiggle room, but it kills me to have to remove so much material. Is this area a high stress point on the mag (like the front lip)?

Billyjoebob, You should be alright as long as the material is coming mostly from the "A" fitting (front to back). And a whole lot can come off it without weakening the mag. But if the "A" fitting is done from the top way too much material will be removed. The "b" fitting should be very minimal. If more than a few thousands needs to be removed from the "b" fitting it is very likely it should have been "a" or that you have an exceptionally long mag release lever. I haven't seen an exceptionally long lever before but I have seen exceptionally short like maybe the guy on the grinding wheel nodded off for a moment... If you don't like having to fit so much you can remove the material for the "a" fitting from the gun itself so it matches your other gun. I don't recommend this to people though just because If they screw up a mag I can fix it a lot easier than I can weld up their gun... Can you post a few side pics of some of your rear mag catches in concern? I'll let you know what I think.

Mike-

Thanks for the offer to review some pix (and sorry for the delay in replying). I just snapped these:

(modified is on left, stock is on right)

img2808oro.jpg

(Close up)

img2807.jpg

The mag fits great! No wobble or play at all...

What do you think? Did I reduce the strength or integrity by removing too much?

btt

I don't think you will have to worry about strength. But from what I can tell the fitting was a little wrong. It looks like you hit the "a" from the top surface rather than from the back surface. I updated my fitting instructions in the user's guide because as the guns fell further out it made my old instructions a little grey. When I first released the drums the instructions were fine. But as time went on a lot more material was required to be removed from the "A". Simply rounding the corner was no longer sufficient. This is what caused confussion on where to go next. If you want you can send your drum in and I can weld a little material back for refitting and send an updated instruction guide.

I had the same problem as the OP. I just followed Mikes instructions as well and now I can finally snap my 5rnd factory mag in my Saiga12. I was confused as heck why the darn thing wouldn't fit and I probably would have never realized the true root of the problem if it wasn't for Mikes pictures and instructions. Thanks Mike!!! If I didn't live in CA I'd buy a shit load of your drums!!!