saiga vs mini 14

Both are of comparable accuracy.

Likening them to apples, both are apples, but one is a Red Delicious and good for eating, the other is a Granny Smith and better for baking.

Different rifles designed for different uses.

Out of the box, the Ruger would IMO, be better suited to knocking Wiley's tail into the dirt.

Just my $0.02

Yes, cost is a issue, but you can take the Ruger out of the box and it'll handle sweetly, cost new $600-700, add a scope and your really GtG.

There are some damned good deals on used Ruger Mini-14s, with glass, to be had.

Saiga, your going to want to at least do a simple conversion, stock, FCG & PG, $350-$400. turns into $500-$550, get down on the conversion/customization and your in the Ruger's $$$ range.

im not going to upgrade the stock on it, about the only thing is im going to put a scope rail on it

Believe us when we say, the stock trigger is SHIT, convert... restore the rifle to it original design, and put in a decent FCG.

The stock trigger wasn't to bad for me. If I was you I would try it and make your own decision if you want to convert it on not. I just wanted to do the pistol grip on mine.

And with the Ruger in the 600-700 dollar range, even doing the conversion on the Saiga would be less than the price on the Ruger. You would be talking $300-350 price of the Saiga + around $100-150 for the PG conversion. So you are still under the cost of the Ruger about $100-200 dollars that money can go towards ammo, glass, mounts, magazines what ever you could want.

With everyone saying that they have comparable accuracy I'd lean toward the Saiga myself especially for yotes under 100yards.

Elsewhere it's posted that the factory triggers on the 223 and 308s are improved over the 7.62x39; someone here might be able to confirm that?

Also why not 5.45x39? 11 cents a round and a strong varminter round. I know they're tough to find, but sounds like for good reason.

cause there is alot of 223 ammo around where i live and its cheap some of it anyways, and the 5.45 is close to the 223 so might as well get the gun with the most ammo round where i live, also what kind of ammo do u guys shoot in your 223, wolf,silver bear,etc... and which one gives u the best accuracy at 100yds, and one more thing i posted this in another section but got no response so ill ask here since u guys are answering everything i put out, im looking for a scope rail that sits low enough that i dont have to use a cheek riser, im going to keep the gun with the factory stock so the lower the better

• 2 weeks later...

I liked fat girls all through Jr High, they were easy and put out, I swore by fat girls. Then a lil'hottie got a hold of me, & fat chicks quickly became second rate poon... Ignorance is bliss.

• Like 3

I liked fat girls all through Jr High, they were easy and put out, I swore by fat girls. Then a lil'hottie got a hold of me, & fat chicks quickly became second rate poon... Ignorance is bliss.

Like they say "fat girls are like mopeds, they are fun to ride, but you don't want to get caught riding one by your friends..."

Like they say "fat girls are like mopeds, they are fun to ride, but you don't want to get caught riding one by your friends..."

Shit, my friends tried to give me grief over them fat girls... I just reminded'em whos dick was getting wet, and who was still stroking their own.

Never heard another word about it :lolol:

• Like 1

Chile's pretty much right. I've got both a .223 Saiga and a Mini 14. The Saiga's unconverted and I don't mind the trigger but, if you're going to put glass on the gun, go with the Mini 14. It's built to take a scope and will add up to a sweeter handling package.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Saiga 223 and it is used for coyote hunting. I too was not going to restore my rifle as it seemed to shoot very well and the trigger was just fine. Then I picked up a Saiga 308 and the trigger on that was horrendous, so I restored it. It was so easy, I restored the 223 as well and it is a HUGE difference. The 223 is now more accurate than it was before and it is very accurate out to 300 yards consistently. The scope mount I use is the UTG quick disconnect on ebay. $50 and it holds zero after removing and is rock solid. I have one on my 308 as well.

No experience with the Mini 14 but I highly recommend the Saiga. BTW, I shoot Wolf and whatever Wallyworld has for plinking and Hornady 55gr V-Max for the Desert Dogs.

• 1 month later...

I got rid of my Mini so I could get a Saiga.

The Ruger was clunky/poorly balanced, ludicrously inaccurate, and couldn't fire off 3 rounds of Wolf without jamming. Plus they ream you on decent mags.

Liking the Saiga much better. It addresses all of the problems I outlined above, and it looks cool as hell.

I have had both for many years. I have numerous Saiga 5.56mm all converted and all in various configurations. I have three Mini 14's.

The Mini's are not as accurate as the Saiga. I have convinced myself it is the barrel harmonics of the Ruger. When the barrel heats up on the Mini it is a crap shoot where in the hell your round is actually going to hit. I see 3-4 inches of "wander" @ 100 yards with all my Mini's after the barrel heats up. There are many barrel stabilizers on the market for the Mini's for a reason. Ruger forums will tell you to install a muzzle break (bullshit) cut down the barrel (more bullshit) install one of the many barrel stabilizers (Accustrut is the most popular)....

so out of the box...the Saiga will walk the Mini in A) Cost=Value B) Accuracy C) Reliability.

Not much of a decision in this old mans eye's.

I have three Mini 14's.

so out of the box...the Saiga will walk the Mini in A) Cost=Value B) Accuracy C) Reliability.

I have three Mini 14's.

I have three

Mini 14's.

three Mini 14's.

I have

I have Mini 14's.

three

Why screw around with making the Mini's shootable when there are better, cheaper rifles to be had?

Sounds like you have two many 14's. :o

Edited by Slingadero

I have owned a saiga 223 for quite a few years now. I had left it stock for about five years with no complaints. Then I bought a S-12, and I took that out and shot it stock. I was amazed at the difference the conversion made in the overall balance and "feel" in the weapon. Needless to say I converted my 223 shortly thereafter and never looked back. I my honest opinion, the conversion truly transforms the rife. The amount of weight that is placed on your support hand is greatly reduced. The rifle has a much better balance. With the improvement in balance, the rifle comes up to my shoulder and presents itself a lot quicker for the initial shot. Not to mention that reducing the OAL helps the rifle handle much quicker when moving onto target. I liked the stock saiga, I LOVE my converted saiga. Mine is the short barrel though, I cannot say if the 20" barrel version would have the same transformation.

• Like 1