Chevyman has a good question. does cal metter? If not how about a Ruger LCP or its Keltec counterpart. Keltec P9 singles stack 9mm, P10 double stack 9mm 10rounds, P12 12round 9mm. None are bad for SD. All under $450.

If he wants something different maybe the Mak or the Polish P64. The P64 is still around $200. All steel, Walther like, shoots 9x18Mak, Holds 6+1. Yugo M88 is a 9mm Tokarev

Edited by Arik

Chevyman has a good question. does cal metter? If not how about a Ruger LCP or its Keltec counterpart. Keltec P9 singles stack 9mm, P10 double stack 9mm 10rounds, P12 12round 9mm. None are bad for SD. All under $450.

If he wants something different maybe the Mak or the Polish P64. The P64 is still around $200. All steel, Walther like, shoots 9x18Mak, Holds 6+1. Yugo M88 is a 9mm Tokarev

My dad has an LCP, and he loves it. The only issue with it is that there's no LRBHO. But with such a small gun, there's no way to fit that on there, and since it's based on the Kel-Tec which doesn't have one either, you can't go wrong with either.

my vote is still a good DA revolver but if he's got to have the semi auto a Glock or a DA semi auto that he doesn't have to remember to flip a safety to get it shooting. stuff that works on the pull trigger goes bang in a panic situation saves a lot of time training.

Glock and a lot of these other suggestions are great. But I have never been able to find any brand new glocks, XDs. Rugers, S&Ws for under 450. Maybe im shopping at the wrong places. Im thinking out the door price.

Am i just misunderstanding the price range? Is his limit dead set on under 450?

Chevy-here's a good example http://www.gunbroker...?Item=182002924

when the gen 4 9mm came out for Glock, the gen 3s shot down in price. You could find a "used" gen 3 (maybe 200rds, which isn't shit) for $400.00 to $450.00.

Cool. Forgive me. lol I dont shop the used handgun sections often, other than the maks/toks thing like that.

Glock and a lot of these other suggestions are great. But I have never been able to find any brand new glocks, XDs. Rugers, S&Ws for under 450. Maybe im shopping at the wrong places. Im thinking out the door price.

Am i just misunderstanding the price range? Is his limit dead set on under 450?

Yes it is dead set.

Any of the polymer guns mentioned (Glock, XD, M&P) may cost a little more but their value and the gun itself is going to be better. The M&P has a $50 rebate and I've seen them for around $500 new. With tax and background check its going to put him over his limit. I don't know about you, but I'd skip a couple lunches and cut back on a few other things to come up with the extra cash before cheaping out with a Hi-point pistol.

Like others have said, check the used market. I've seen Glocks for $375 before. I just sold a well worn but still serviceable M&P to a friend for $350...so there are deals out there.

While I would recommend a 9mm plastic gun over a 1911 for a first gun, probably one of the BEST sub $400 guns I've owned has been an Armscor/RRA. 1911 http://www.centerfir...px?find=armscor

Edited by Arnisandyz

budsgunshop also has a used section. I see a 2nd Gen G17 for $369, an XD for $379, a CZ for $389, a Sig etc...lots of guns under $400. FREE shipping and no tax, just have to pay the FFL transfer and background check so figure another $35-40. Any of them would be under the $450 limit.

CDNN has good deals as well.

Edited by Arnisandyz

I have many handguns and if I was going to be limited to just one (C/C being of paramount importance) I would still go with the Ruger SR9-C at $415.00 ($430.00 delivered) new, with both 10 and 17 round mag's.

Worth checking out.........

-guido

I posted in your WTB add, but ill go ahead and say here. You might check out JGsales shooter, they usually have a pretty large stock of nicely priced Glocks.(used, but in G-VG condition.) Might be just what your looking for.

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't checked them yet.

budsgunshop also has a used section. I see a 2nd Gen G17 for $369, an XD for $379, a CZ for $389, a Sig etc...lots of guns under $400. FREE shipping and no tax, just have to pay the FFL transfer and background check so figure another $35-40. Any of them would be under the $450 limit.

CDNN has good deals as well.

Just a note: When looking at the pricing at Buds, keep in mind that the price shown reflects a "3% cash discount". Meaning if you pay with a CC, add 3% to that price.

If it's not too late for your friend, Gilbert's Gun Shop has the XD9 (4"), XD.40 (4") and XD.40 (3") "Essential" packages (handgun, 2 x magazines, cable lock and hard case) for $429.95, new.

I think I paid $25 shipping (for both) when I bought my S-12 and XD9SC. That would put you at $455 out of the door.

Before ordering, I called and talked to them, they seem nice people. They also shipped same day and e-mailed me the tracking number. Got my packages in time. Nice experience.

I have no other affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.

I know they are not a vendor here, maybe one of the moderators (owners) can contact them and ask them if they are interested in joining the forum. Occasionally I see pretty good prices of the stuff they have (good selection of firearms and accessories).

Springfield Armory Springfield XD Essentials 9mm 4" Pistol (XD9101HC)

h**p://www.gilbertsguns.com/Handguns/Springfield+XD/Springfield+XD+Essentials+9mm+4+Pistol+XD9101HC

Springfield Armory Springfield XD Essentials 40 Caliber 4" Pistol (XD9102HC)

h**p://www.gilbertsguns.com/Handguns/Springfield+XD/Springfield+XD+Essentials+40+Caliber+4+Pistol+XD9102HC

Springfield Armory Springfield XD Essentials 40 SubCompact Pistol (XD9802HC)

h**p://www.gilbertsguns.com/Handguns/Springfield+XD/Springfield+XD+Essentials+40+SubCompact+Pistol+XD9802HC

Gilbert's Gun Shop

2282 Louisville Rd

Frankfort, Ky 40601

Fax: 502-227-2233

I have 3 XDs (1 x 9mm - 4", 1 x 9mm - 3" and 1 x .45 - 5"). Shot the hell out of them - in about 3 months (over 2,500 rounds).

No problems of any kind (no FTEs, FTFs, etc), they are extremely boring (click, kaboom, rinse, repeat). :lolol:

Good luck!

For inexpensive handguns, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Charter Arms revolvers. They've been getting very good reviews in various magazine articles and are in the $325 - $425 range. I have (2) snubs myself as a carry weapon in the car or concealed. One in .38 blued the other in .44 stainless. They go pop everytime when you squeeze the trigger, are made well,are rugged and fairly accurate for a self defense weapon (as accurate as my Llame minimax in .45 anyway). They're not tack drivers but they do make 4" barrel models also.

I might get blasted for this...but those small pocket guns like the Kel-Tec, Khar etc. aren't really meant to be shot a lot. Think about this, would you trust that little Kel-Tec or a Glock/XD/M&P to put 20k rounds through it over the course of a year?

They are great for what they are intended for (deep concealment) and are ok to be shot occationally but for a CCW, primary and ONLY handgun I would suggest something more robust. A G19 is about the perfect size for a gun that fits a multi-role. You can carry it everyday, train with it without worrying about it breaking, shoot it in IDPA competitions and it will work well for everything.. I cut down one of my M&Ps to be about the size of the G19.

I'm not saying the KT or Khar are bad guns, I have one myself for when I need something smaller to carry, but its a specialty gun, I would get a good service size type gun first to learn on, practice with and carry first.

Edited by Arnisandyz
  • 4 weeks later...

My suggestion.............Have him look at the Springfield XD-9. I just purchased a new one on gunbroker.com new XD-9 Service model for $369.00 plus $35 shipping. Great furearms. I have had my XD45 Tactical for about 5 years. One of the best guns I have ever owned!

• 1 month later...

Used CZ-75 +-B

+ Will last forever

+ Accurate

+ Most used 9mm in the world

+ Natural pointing (for me atleast)

+ DA/SA (a plus for me)

+ Manual safety (again personal preference)

+ Less recoil than the XD I had due to the gun weighing more.

+ Can carry condition 1

+ Digests a multitude of different ammo without complaint

- Heavy compared to glock/ xd service

- More controls/complex compared to striker fired ie glock/xd

- Not practical for CCW. I know you said doesn't matter to friend.

Used CZ-75 +-B

+ Will last forever

+ Accurate

+ DA/SA (a plus for me)

+ Can carry condition 1

Don't forget the hi-cap magazine (14-16 rounds all depending on what you get). I agree with everything you said except for one thing I don't agree with the CZ 75B not being concealable. I have 3 or 4 different holsters for mine and I'm a small person. A horizontal shoulder holster works best for me and I also use a cross-draw and a small-of-back holster for concealed carry, but since that doesn't matter to your friend the point is mute.

I love my CZ, and with my Ruger Security Six they are the most accurate handguns in my collection.

Used CZ-75 +-B

+ Will last forever

+ Accurate

+ DA/SA (a plus for me)

+ Can carry condition 1

Don't forget the hi-cap magazine (14-16 rounds all depending on what you get). I agree with everything you said except for one thing I don't agree with the CZ 75B not being concealable. I have 3 or 4 different holsters for mine and I'm a small person. A horizontal shoulder holster works best for me and I also use a cross-draw and a small-of-back holster for concealed carry, but since that doesn't matter to your friend the point is mute.

I love my CZ, and with my Ruger Security Six they are the most accurate handguns in my collection.

I guess when I was thinking of concealment I was thinking of an all year round gun. For me personally in California that would be too big in the hot weather clothing.

He went ahead and bought a Ruger SR-9. Found a good deal on it.

Personally I hoped he wouldn't get a 9mm. I bought a 9mm, not a Ruger, when I was 21 and to be honest I haven't even picked the damn thing up in 10 years. Bought a .45, .40, .357 etc. etc.......... and never looked back.

I guess a 9 would be ok if you need to arm a small girl.naaaa.gif

Thanks for all the input guys.027.gif

Edited by Stansplace