converted at last with more to do

should tell the reader up front this in not a "how to" do it (others have posted great instructions that helped me) more of a what thought process I had while doing it.

:super: after messing with other 20 ga. projects for months I finally did the conversion on one.

still to come:

the one I did is the one my son shot the video of for Sanders mag ad and when time and money :dollar: allow will go to VanKiller for a Cutt's comp to be put on

ordered one of TAC-47's Auto Plugs seeing how this gun may go from bird shot to slugs at a match once in a while with no time to change gas settings (+ if someone is making managed recoil slugs and buckshot for a 20 I haven't stumbled across it yet).

the other thing that looks like will have to be changed again is the folding stock

got a Tapco folder to see if I really wanted a folder, ran into 1 big problem, I shoot left handed and the mechanism will punch me right in the nose 1st time I don't mount the gun right every time. :blink:

forgot to think about what kind of finish / coating to do, maybe a Crown Royal theme.

as to the conversion:

really simple as everyone has said, 5 rivets (2 from the side, 2 from the bottom, and 1 from the top trying to save trigger guard), grind the bump off the Tapco hammer (bought the plain Jane set actually pretty good set and trigger pull with nothing but removing the bump from the hammer for clearance),

I didn't put the bolt hold back on may have to rethink that, kind of thought about using a notched safety selector for the bolt hold back not sure on this one yet.

was going to reuse the trigger guard but I did rethink that and got a CSS-Rifle-Guard one that was a good way to go.

above and beyond:

removed the gas block, drilled 4th port (didn't increase the existing ports and went with a #44 drill (.086") don't want to go from under gassed to over gassed in one step), reinstalled the gas block.

test fired:

without the stock, the gun ran with the Centurion ammo but not with the bulk pack Winchester ammo, no surprise there even with a 4th port it didn't like Walleyworld 100 pack Winchester.

Should Note:

1st and foremost I BLAME SN13, his gun looked so much better than anything I had, I used it in our mag sales ad, he shamed me into it.

photos and a how does in all work or fail as a complete gun to follow

post-20842-039840100 1281489894_thumb.jpg

Edited by going12220

got all the parts on (photo to follow), not sure I got the shepherd's hook on the hammer pin just right, have a 2nd one to play with.

the real surprise was shooting with the stock on and a lighter recoil spring had some FTEs with ammo the gun use to like pretty well, this after putting in a 4th port.

I verified all 4 ports open and gas selector on #2. (did it again today with the same results, damn)

Edited by going12220

re-polished, re-cleaned, re-oiled, and poked the ports again

loaded gun with 14 rounds of 7/8 oz. Centurion shells walked out the back door and scared the shit out of the cat. :eek:

Gun ran fine, cat might have been running faster :lolol: , life is good again. :super:

Edited by going12220

after some heavy test firing this morning a change to the stock (left handed shooter and Tapco folder not a match made in heaven) will be higher on the list than it was yesterday. cheek and nose can't take the beating after about 50 rounds enough is enough.

only fair to note I didn't see the cat, I don't think that it was stock related.

Edited by going12220
  • 2 weeks later...

internals out, re-profiled hammer, switched to a rifle pin lock plate instead of the Shepherd's hook / crook, internals back in. too late to test fire feels good, find out this weekend.

Edited by going12220
  • 2 weeks later...