Looking for a good sub machine gun style weapon

While not true subguns, the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 and Hi-Point 995 are both very inexpensive, very handy weapons with fairly good reputations. Both are available in 9mm or 40S&W, but the SUB-2000 folds cleanly in half.

Personally, I couldn't get a good sight picture with the SUB-2000, which is a shame, because I like all the other specs on it. I just couldn't get my head where I needed to be. The Hi-Point was easier for me to acquire a target, but I wasn't in love with it. There's a company out there that makes an $80 replacement stock that looks about a thousand times better, but to each is own.

I'm sure others will chime in with better choices soon!

(Note: Hi-Point has the white background, Kel-Tec the gray background)

post-25215-052875900 1281471275_thumb.jpg

post-25215-066763100 1281471282_thumb.jpg

Just playing devil's advocate here, but why do you want one? The only advantage of a subgun is a high rate of fire in a handy package. They aren't good at anything else, and are rarely issued to personnel for a reason. And I'm assuming you can't afford Class III or you wouldn't have mentioned cheap.

All you are getting with a semi-auto subgun is a very heavy, bulky pistol. I love UZIs but a Glock with a hi-capacity (30+) magazine is cheaper and much more useful.

The suggestion of a carbine makes sense if you're looking for a smaller weapon that fires a pistol cartridge with better accuracy. I don't own either a Hi-Point or a Beretta CX4 but both are fairly well regarded.

While not true subguns, the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 and Hi-Point 995 are both very inexpensive, very handy weapons with fairly good reputations. Both are available in 9mm or 40S&W, but the SUB-2000 folds cleanly in half.

Personally, I couldn't get a good sight picture with the SUB-2000, which is a shame, because I like all the other specs on it. I just couldn't get my head where I needed to be. The Hi-Point was easier for me to acquire a target, but I wasn't in love with it. There's a company out there that makes an $80 replacement stock that looks about a thousand times better, but to each is own.

Just a note on the Hi point 995TS which is shown on the pic. In order to put it into the ATI(after market) replacement stock that is mentioned, you would need to modify the stock for clearance of the LRBHO on the newer model 995TS.I would recommend the Hipoint 995 if you are looking for a pistol carbine. It runs about $250 for a brand new one. Only problem is it takes single stack 10rd mags and there are no known good aftermarket mags for it ATM. Not really a problem if you live in a ban state but if you don't and you want a hi cap mag the only alternative is the ones made by promag(hint: they suck). It also comes in .40 if you prefer that over the 9mm. You do have more options for the keltec sub 2000 due to the different models that can accept standard pistol mags from glocks , sig 226 etc. It is also available in 9mm,.40, and .45.

+1 to basically everything that has been said so far. Although I had no idea the Hi-Point X95 carbine was being made with a LRBHO now; that's really good news.

I probably shouldn't have to say this but, definitely stay away from anything made by Special Weapons. They are VERY poorly made H&K clones. They are the carbine equivalent of a Jennings pistol, and Todd Bailey is a charlatan.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but why do you want one? The only advantage of a subgun is a high rate of fire in a handy package. They aren't good at anything else, and are rarely issued to personnel for a reason. And I'm assuming you can't afford Class III or you wouldn't have mentioned cheap.

All you are getting with a semi-auto subgun is a very heavy, bulky pistol. I love UZIs but a Glock with a hi-capacity (30+) magazine is cheaper and much more useful.

The suggestion of a carbine makes sense if you're looking for a smaller weapon that fires a pistol cartridge with better accuracy. I don't own either a Hi-Point or a Beretta CX4 but both are fairly well regarded.

Basically just looking for something that is more compact for the house and thats fun to shoot. will probably go with the keltec or hipoint that one person pointed out earlier.

Thanks for the input. Did you see this http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/08/11/hi-point-45-acp-carbine/

You might want to take a look at the LUSA SMG. The HK guys like to shit on it, but it really shoots well.

The standard stock is a POS though. Go with the PDW stock or install something else.

Tony

Thanks for the input but looking for something 850 or less more than likely.

FWIW, when I was looking into a pistol-caliber carbine, I was leaning towards the Hi-Point.

Aside from it being ugly as sin (even with the aftermarket stock, it's still ugly as hell, IMO) and the lack of higher capacity magazines........most said they ran great and were pretty damn accurate.

(I ended up going with a 9mm AR, more for the mag capacity and familiarity with the platform. Definitely not the most cost-efficient route, but I had some spare change at the time)

You can get a LUSA under $700, no problem and may even get one under $600. There are plenty on GunStroker.

Just don't let your HK cool-aid drinking friends see you with it or you'll catch a pile of shit.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

P.S. In a world of compromise, HK starts with the trigger.

You can get a LUSA under $700, no problem and may even get one under $600. There are plenty on GunStroker.

Just don't let your HK cool-aid drinking friends see you with it or you'll catch a pile of shit.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

P.S. In a world of compromise, HK starts with the trigger.

Just did a quick check:

$599, no reserve, NIB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184158969

$650 starting bid, Buy-Now is $680, NIB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183362709

Edited by -Shooter-
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a MPA 45 ACP Carbine, I really like it, I like that it takes m3 grease gun mags too. The only negative for me is it weighs a ton! But with that it has no recoil and is very accurate!

I know a guy localy who has a Lusa with several stocks and 7 mags, he wants 1000 or so. I had never seen one, it seems really well built.

post-33660-0-23448800-1340938579_thumb.jpg

You might want to take a look at the LUSA SMG. The HK guys like to shit on it,

the "HK guys" like to shit on anything that doesn't have the ohhhhh-ahhhh HK logo emblazon on it that cost 6 times more that people with any brain cells wouldn't pay.

the polish made PPS43 semi-auto pistol is neat sub-machine style and cost under 3 bills. granted it shoots 7.62x25, but that round has a lot of muzzle velocity to it, 420m/s roughly 1400 ft/s. someone on THEAKFORM swapped out the barrel to 9x19. which for the price of the gun is very doable. you won't have a ton of money into it.

I bought one, SBR'd it, and made a drum for it, 70 round of happy bang-bang, it is the cat's ass biggrin.png

PPS43_WITH_DRUM_SIDE_VIEW.JPG

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Well if you’ve got a Glock or a 1911 to use as the lower there are the Mech Tech CCU conversions. They go for about $300.00 for the stripped basic unit (no FFL needed). I will say the Glock one I got works great the only thing that sucks is the cheap wire stock works like a tuning fork but there are other stocks.

post-26137-0-16396300-1340969484_thumb.jpg