Saiga 20 Bullpup

Thanks to chibajoe and the inadvertent inspiration his posts caused:

The basics:

It started as a 22" barrel, in sporting config, OEM trigger control group.

I used an AK-47 bullpup kit, from centerfire systems, which, as I found out, has a LOT of differences with a saiga, especially when the barrel is half an inch wider. (exaggeration)

Centerfire systems, doesn't include instructions, which I knew, but, well... I thought assembly was a little more common sense than it was, which might be true, if it were being put in a true ak-47, with no modifications needed.

The only piece, of... 15 or so, that I didn't have to modify, was the trigger hook. For the record, I don't have a "work shop", I have a much appreciated (to my wife), man-cave, to include a desk-converted work bench. I have a single speed drill (speed only adjusts by how hard you squeeze the trigger), plethora of hand tools, and a bench vise.

The trigger, which was 1 solid piece, now consists of 3 parts, because I had to make it hinged, to allow the trigger wire, to flow correctly, which btw, inadvertently fixed the terrible trigger pull. Not quite crisp, but very smooth, with a clean break.

The rail system, which was designed to be on the bottom, fits almost perfectly when on top, with enlarged screw holes, and drilled into the cut pistol grip, and, finally (yes, it's- unorthodox?), is a pipe clamp, to make sure nothing goes anywhere, and the screws don't strip from firing abuse. Visually.... interesting, but actually very impressed with the sturdiness of it.

So it is now a 16.5" barrel, with a 2.5" compensator, permanently fixed by both silver solder, and pinning, to give a total barrel length of 19", and an overall length of 30".

Considering the hardest thing I'd done since this, was change my HK USP to an LEM trigger/hammer group, I think it came out fairly well. Like I said, a few errors and dead ends resulting in cosmetic flaws, but range tested it, and it runs great. Balance is perfect. I learned a lot, entertained myself, and now have a fully functional bullpup shotgun for the enjoyment of yours truly.

Whaddya think?

So here's a finished pic, with a cheap good-enough-for-now red dot sight:

post-22178-037049300 1281525296_thumb.jpg

Side by side comparison:

post-22178-065222900 1281555418_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeadRebel

It looks great! Did you work out the trigger issues; can you post a pic of what you did with the trigger?

I'm afraid to take the pistol grip off, in fear of stripping the screws or the plastic. But I can explain it, with a fabulous mspaint drawing that I did.

My wife understands the drawing, so hopefully you will too, since you know what the trigger looks like.

The red, on the left side, indicates the section that I removed from it. I then took the top part, and brought it down. Drilled two holes on the lower piece, and then ran 28ga brass wiring, from those holes, to the original hole the trigger wire goes through.

While that may sound very jerry rigged, that was my intent. Welding it would still cause issues when the trigger is pulled, because of the larger barrel of a 20ga. The wire, on the other hand, keeps the top in place, to pull the trigger wire forward, but allows it give, to bend to the side, as it needs to, to slide across the barrel. The brass wire has about a 15 lb test, and I ran 3 layers, so it's not breaking.

The unexpected upside, is that because the trigger wire is closer to the axis point, you have to pull the trigger farther, for less movement. This gives a longer trigger pull, but a much smoother, lighter one.

Lastly, from the "behind trigger view" on the right side, I ground off a larger portion that sticks out, for where the retention pin slides through. Allowing the trigger to side farther to the right, inside the pistol grip. And I put washers on the left side, to prevent the trigger from sliding back and forth, which was a design flaw of the kit.

And... screw you all if you try making fun of my awesome drawing.

post-22178-018635200 1281735905_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeadRebel

I love those things but shooting LH makes in impossible for me to get into it with out a lot of pain. Great looking gun/s.

I shot it lefty, and the shells don't go in your face, but you do get some powder spray. Not enjoyable, but it's possible to do without dying. Wear eye pro and keep your mouth closed.

You could also try a handloading with a faster burning powder, would give you less blowback. Alliant Blue Dot and HS Longshot are popular shotguns powders, but I used Alliant Red Dot, which burns much faster. As always though, safety and caution are a must, and start with a much lower grain for faster powder. For instance, if Blue Dot loads were 35gr, try starting with 20gr in Red Dot. More than likely won't be powerful enough to cycle the gun, but it's better to start lower and work your way up,