People don't cry about realism per se, they cry about realism in the context of the game. Meaning,

my badass rail gun might be unreal, but it had best be able to kill you before you run up and knife me.

Connection rates have much to do with this. Not only latency, but throughput rates as well.

Part of the problem is that there has been a shift towards making a game console based, which is a bad thing.

The original FPSs were always PC based, and you could run your own server. This is why games like Counter-strike

(Source) are still extremely popular 6 years after it came out. People host good servers on their own dime,

and people go play the good ones.

A console game makes you play on licensed servers, put up by people just trying to make money. Add to that the

limited controls present in a console game, and one can see that, while a console-native game may look pretty

it just doesn't have the robustness of a PC native game. Unfortunately, as the gamer demographics move from

people who buy/build awesome PCs to people who buy gaming consoles, this trend will only continue.

Not to mention that the big software companies, originally founded by visionaries, are now just money whores.

EA and Activision sold out years ago. Bethesda, Valve, and Blizzard are still sticking to their integrity (and

writing games for PC first.)

Someone made a comment about Bad Company 2 and how you could control vehicles. The problem is, BC2 was a failure

compared to the sheer awesomeness that was Battlefield 2. Yeah, it looks much better, but BF2 was a fully

functional flight sim with native joystick support. They had fucking fighter jets! You could dogfight, bomb people,

get shot up, bail out, parachute, blow up some shit, steal a tank, kill more shit, lose the tank, and just spend the

rest of the time shooting people. Now, THAT'S a game! Too bad we'll never see something that awesome again; it's all

looks these days.

A good test of whether or not a game company has sold out to console bitches is how powerful the sniper rifles are.

The original AWP in counterstrike would kill you just by its concussion. You got hit in the HAND, you died. Nowadays,

you need a headshot with the magnum ammo on someone with low body armor for a one shot kill. Sucks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea why so many gamers bitch that shooting games are unrealistic. The first person shooter genre was born from games that were absolutely nowhere near realistic (or even trying to be, for t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ouf9RyA33A     Check out Kobe with the noob-tube and Kimmel with the RPG.

Posted Images

Video games... :rolleyes:

A friend of mine wanted to show me how realistic my guns were to shoot on one of his games...

I think it may have been COD...

When I offered to take him up & show him how realistic mine were to shoot... ^_^

He took a pass. :huh:

I just don't get it. :unsure:

I have it pre-ordered so Tuesday I get to pick it up but from the videos I've seen of online play on youtube it doesn't look as good in the quality of the graphics and the weapons don't look as detailed kind of getting bummed already. I looked forward to MOH and it was a pretty big disappointment hoping the videos of COD BOP was just beta and not yet fully polished. Dan I can't hit crap with the Thumper so I give you props bro'. I rarely even use the grenade launchers on the assault rifles.

I have it pre-ordered so Tuesday I get to pick it up but from the videos I've seen of online play on youtube it doesn't look as good in the quality of the graphics and the weapons don't look as detailed kind of getting bummed already. I looked forward to MOH and it was a pretty big disappointment hoping the videos of COD BOP was just beta and not yet fully polished. Dan I can't hit crap with the Thumper so I give you props bro'. I rarely even use the grenade launchers on the assault rifles.

Yeah, I used to suck with the Thumper. But once I started playing so much HC, there's really no need for a secondary (hipfire your primary in close quarters and you'll usually get the kill), so I started rocking the Thumper since I didn't need to shoot down any air support either (Cold Blooded).

I got pretty good with that thing when you ADS with it. Standing outside of the big bunker on Afghan, the side with the Hummer right near the entrance ramp......I've been able to thread a 'nade through the view port of the bunker, and hit the ground on the other side and get kills with the Thumper that way, lol.

I received payment today for a 9mm upper I just sold on Arfcom.

.............So I'm contemplating on swinging by one of the local Wally Worlds at midnight to pick it up. :ph34r: I never cared enough about a game to go buy it at midnight, but we have like 4 Walmarts near us. One of them has to be slow and not have a line for the game, right? :lolol:

I called gamestop, they said $30 dollars and some change credit for MOH with my vip card and extra 15% b/c its going toward blackops so yeah, im going tonight to trade that fail of a game in on blackops. im super excited about the 3D capability.:wub:

Ive only got to use the damn 3D function of my high dollar tv ONE TIME, when i watched the monsters VS aliens movie that came with it!! and ive had it almost 6 months!!:cryss:

I called gamestop, they said $30 dollars and some change credit for MOH with my vip card and extra 15% b/c its going toward blackops so yeah, im going tonight to trade that fail of a game in on blackops. im super excited about the 3D capability.:wub:

Ive only got to use the damn 3D function of my high dollar tv ONE TIME, when i watched the monsters VS aliens movie that came with it!! and ive had it almost 6 months!!:cryss:

BO has 3D capability? For single player campaign only though, I'm assuming?

That's pretty cool. I love my current 52" LCD, but I think it's time for an upgrade. Something that can do 3D would be pretty cool, if there's not a huge upcharge for that ability. The last PS3 software update included 3D capabilities with 3D Blu-Rays.

I wonder if there's going to be problems in MP tonight. I'm reading that BO didn't have a beta, so there's probably going to be a lot of bugs to be worked out? Especially with so many people going online with it tonight?

I'm gonna leave my house at about 11:50, head to 2 different Walmarts, and hope there's not a 100 person line. (Planning ahead; I don't do it) If there's a huge line, I'm not waiting. But I have a hankering for some tater chips anyway, so the trip won't be a complete bust. :lolol:

EDIT:.....and I'm skipping the campaign completely for now. I'll worry about that on a rainy day.

Edited by -Shooter-

Got my game.

Me too. Just got back from Wally World. Wait time was under 20 minutes and that included my girl and I going to find some jalepeno Cheetos. :lolol: Funny thing is, the Game Stop next door to Walmart had about 100 people waiting. I was in and out of Walmart before that line even moved much. Muahahahaha. :devil:

Anyone on PS3, add my new ID: KalashnikovJunky

Fuck campaign, I'm going straight to MP. :super:

I'm liking MP so far. I will say, there's a bit left to be desired, as far as graphics in MP go (haven't even played SP campaign yet). The game itself has a very COD4 feel to it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...........but I think they could have stepped up the graphics a bit. They don't even really compare to MW2, to be honest.

I love being able to buy perks and attachments, etc, etc. As opposed to waiting to unlock them. I know I haven't even scratched the surface, as far as unlocks in MP go. I'm only at like level 14 or so. The RC car is pretty fun.

It also saves entire games you play (not sure how many exactly, or for how long). There's a way to upload them directly onto YouTube (but apparently only in 30 second clips?) straight from your PS3/XBOX/etc but I'm still trying to figure that out.

I'm not a gamer but I got some information from the the Vietnam Special Operations Organization I belong to. I understand the Vietnam portion is based on the MACV-SOG missions. These are now de-classified but at the time they were top secrete cross border operations into Cambodia, Laos, & N. Vietnam.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

" Subject: SOG in Major New Video Game

Thought you'd like to pass along that a new video game, "Call of Duty: Black Ops," will be released in the next few days, and it includes a major section on MACV-SOG recon missions.

John assisted the company, Activision, with photos and details about SOG weaponry, clothing, etc., so that visually it will be INCREDIBLY realistic. I had no input on their missions or what happens in the game, but I saw some of the footage/scenes, and it looks so real it is absolutely amazing.

In one mission, a team goes into Hue City during Tet '68 (I think to rescue Americans kidnapped by the NVA/VC). The architecture, street scenes EVERYTHING looks so perfect for a Vietnamese town of that era that it's like you are there. The players can select any gear and weapons that we really used -- and they can call in helicopter gunships for support.

In fact, (again, amazingly), when he calls in gunship support, the player can switch into the chopper and actually fly as the pilot and gunner, firing rockets and mini-guns.

I don't know that our comrades will play the game, but their grandkids might -- as far as I know, this is the most cutting edge military game every produced. If you want to see some of the images, just do a google for "Call of Duty: Black Ops."

Thought you'd like to know about it."

Something cool to try out:

Treyarch apparently put an "Easter egg" in the main menu area. When you're staring at the main menu, pan your view downwards, you'll see that your hands are tied to a chair. (On PS3) start hitting the L2 and R2 buttons, and you'll break your hands free and you stand up. Walk over to the computer and hit Square to use it. Type in "zork" and hit Enter. Sit back down. Break free again and go back to the computer. This time, type in "DOA" and hit Enter. It brings you to some oldschool zombie arcade game. Neat little feature.

EDIT: This is supposed to work on all platforms. But I don't know what the equivalent buttons are on PC and XBOX.

Edited by -Shooter-

Treyarch apparently put an "Easter egg" in the main menu area. When you're staring at the main menu, pan your view downwards, you'll see that your hands are tied to a chair. (On PS3) start hitting the L2 and R2 buttons, and you'll break your hands free and you stand up. Walk over to the computer and hit Square to use it. Type in "zork" and hit Enter. Sit back down. Break free again and go back to the computer. This time, type in "DOA" and hit Enter. It brings you to some oldschool zombie arcade game. Neat little feature.

EDIT: This is supposed to work on all platforms. But I don't know what the equivalent buttons are on PC and XBOX.

DUDE! Dead Ops is sooooo much fun!

DUDE! Dead Ops is sooooo much fun!

but the map **FIVE** is so much funner.

At that computer type in 3ARC UNLOCK to open up the pentagon level.

At that computer type in 3ARC UNLOCK to open up the pentagon level.

Is that what you were trying to invite me to? Like I said, there was some sort of error. It said something about one of us not having the data or something like that. Maybe because I hadn't done the unlock thing? I just looked on YouTube to see the Pentagon level, and the description of the video says its a level that's unlocked once you beat the game. Did you beat the game, or does that unlock code unlock it no matter what? I still haven't even tried campaign yet :ph34r: . I've been going hard at MP and got up to level 28 or so. I already got Ghost and Hardened up to Pro level. Now I'm working on going Pro for Ninja, and I have 2 of the 3 challenges for it done. I just need to play some S&D and plant 10 bombs while using Ninja to get Pro.

Duke: Good games, bro. Sorry about team-killing you with my RC car :lolol: . I was running out of time with it so I blew it at the first person I saw, lol. Did you happen to spectate me at all during any of the HC games we played? I put Tiger camo on my FAMAS and a red dot that has a green skull for crosshairs! :lolol::super: It's pretty sweet.

I played for a few minutes last night, but could not stay at the PS3 for long. I played the "Bay of Pigs" campaign, to try it out, and that is all I had time to do. I've got to take three 14 year olds to a concert tonight so I doubt I'll get on tonight. Probably Thursday night.

WJ

Just got done messing with the new video-save feature. It's pretty cool, because you can watch previous matches from any player's perspective or 3rd person point of view. Then you can take 30 second clips and upload them directly to YouTube, or take screenshots and upload them. The Theater feature still seems a little buggy, but it's working somewhat now.

I just took these 2 screenshots from a match last night of me (KalashnikovJunky) and theDuke (Lead_Poisened) tearing shit up. :super:

EDIT: I just noticed in the kill-feed in the first pic that we're both rocking the same gun, lol. The FAMAS is beast.

post-5916-0-44403300-1289519276_thumb.jpg

post-5916-0-09316300-1289519284_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Shooter-

Just got done messing with the new video-save feature. It's pretty cool, because you can watch previous matches from any player's perspective or 3rd person point of view. Then you can take 30 second clips and upload them directly to YouTube, or take screenshots and upload them. The Theater feature still seems a little buggy, but it's working somewhat now.

I just took these 2 screenshots from a match last night of me (KalashnikovJunky) and theDuke (Lead_Poisened) tearing shit up. :super:

EDIT: I just noticed in the kill-feed in the first pic that we're both rocking the same gun, lol. The FAMAS is beast.

Awww, look at the two of them!! So in love :lolol: