getting my Saiga12 today!!

gonna pick up my new Saiga 12 today after work from the pawn shop..the owner is a friend of mine and wants to try it out with my 20rd drum..he's gonna supply the ammo..I'm also gonna take my 2 10rd mags and hopefully I'll have a good time with it.It will be fired un-converted straight out of thee box, so I hope it performs well, I have some upgrades(gunfixer plug,twister puck) that I will add on after I get home from my test firing ..I'll let you guys know how it went

Yes! Although I doubt black vans and SUV's will appear from nowhere, it is a Federal crime to use any mag other then the factory one until you convert it with enough parts to be compliant with 922r. Note: the mag counts as parts, so if they are US made then you only need like one or two more.

Congrats on the purchase! I still remember my first S12 purchase ... had to wait a week before I could find time to get out to the range!

You're going to love it. Be sure to report back on how it ran.

Safe shooting,

Zach

Kross, LLC

got my Saiga at home..didn't get to shoot it today..the guys at the pawn shop didn't have time..going back Saturday..this gives me time to do the conversion ..got a Tapco intrafuse stock with pistol grip(yea I know)..Tapco fore grip with vertical grip, Chaos Warthog breacher,Gogun puck and gunfixer plug, 2 AGP 10 rd mags and a Promag 20 rd(which doesn't want to lock into place)..BTW the safety lever is really hard to move back and forth, any suggestions on loosening it up? I can also see 3 holes in the choke tube, so I guess I got a good one..one more thing..when I took the gun out of the plastic I foung a little v-shaped coiled spring loose in the wrapping..any idea what that might be from?

Thanks for your help

The 2 "V shaped coiled springs" (torsion springs) that the guns have that come to mind are the mag-catch spring & the BHO spring.

the mag-catch is smaller than the end of your pinky, the BHO is larger, but thinner gauge wire.

The Mainspring is also a torsion spring, but I haven't see anyone call it V shaped.

A pic would help.

BTW the safety lever is really hard to move back and forth, any suggestions on loosening it up?

Use the gun. Engage and disengage the safety during normal use. It will loosen up a little bit as it wears in.

You should really look into a conversion, the Intrafuse stock does not fix either the balance or trigger issues that are the main reasons people convert.

• Like 1

Cool gun. I hate to sound like a broken record, but another $50 in parts, 2 pins and 3 rivets removed, and you will see the real "beauty" of the S-12. You should really look into a conversion.

I'd just make a big mess and screw up my gun..

You won't. It's really, really simple. I had absolutely no mechanical skills at all when I converted my first Saiga. It's extremely simple and there's tons of videos out there, not to mention ppeople here that will help.

• Like 2

Cool gun. I hate to sound like a broken record, but another $50 in parts, 2 pins and 3 rivets removed, and you will see the real "beauty" of the S-12. You should really look into a conversion.

I'd just make a big mess and screw up my gun..

I think you underestimate yourself. It ain't rocket science, (actually it's damn easy). ;)

• Like 1

Ridiculously easy bro.

& you can sell that stock to the next guy here.

BTW, hold on to that extra mag-catch spring.

CSS carries them now, but it's nice to have an extra.

The pin that holds it isn't secured too well. If it walks out, the spring "springs" off into the unknown.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

No one here is trying to pressure you to restore your s-12 but I promise you as soon as you handle one that has been restored you will feel the difference. They feel much better set up the way they were meant to be. I can tell you the hardest parts of the restoration are waiting for the parts, the friggen fraggen retaining pin (this was the only pain I had and I wished I had a plate instead), and finding a way to get the non twist lids off of your beverage of choice (lost the bottle opener). Do some research here there is a ton of info and ask questions anything you need to know someone here will know and be happy to help you, and many good vids. on you tube (one of which I watched over and over saying how in the hell did they make that look so easy). I promise You Can Do It.

thanks for all the advice..I'm gonna keep it like this for a little while and them when I feel brave enough I'll do the conversion, any suggestions on the best parts to get for the conversion? can I re-use my tapco stock and pistol grip?

anyone here live close to Augusta, Ga. willing to give me a hand in doing the conversion?

Edited by RichardC1967