Hello, I'm in the process of converting my saiga 7.62 rifle. I just finished instralling the bullet guide and after testing it once to see if it would feed, I ejected the live round, then, when i tried it again, the bolt was stuck and now the round will not eject.

it appears as if the bolt is making contact with the bullet guide screw, but im not sure. there is a very small amount of play in it before it sticks. I thought about hitting it with a mallet, but i don't want the round to go off accidentally. should i try to fire the gun or is this a bad idea?

any suggestuons?

If you can get the bolt out, then you can drop a cleaning rod on the round to push it out. If you can't get the bolt out, then you're better off bringing it to a smith. I wouldn't fire it because if the bolt is hung up, you could do bo-coup damage.

yeah the problem is that the bolt is stuck. im not sure if the bullet itself is stuck but the bolt is jammed in there too hard for me to pull it out by hand in order to exract the bullet. with the hammer decocked, would it be safe to hit the bold lever with a rubber mallet to try and dislodge it? damn it this sucks I didn't think this problem was possible witht he bulet guide installation.

phew! okay i was able to get the bolt to open by pressing the bolt lever against the table and pushing on the stock.

now that THAT problem is solved, i have to figure out what is causing this. has anyone ever heard of the bullet guide causing the bolt to stick. the only damage i can see on the bullet is on the very end where its pointed, its a little smashed/marred up on the tip...kinda weird im not sure what couldve caused this.

Edited by CommieGunner

i got it from carolina shoothers supply. everything looks good to me as far as installation. the hole is just slightly off center, but its close enough so that the hex screw seats al the way down into the guide like its supposed to. i did notice quite a bit of wear on the top of the hex screw for having only cycled a bullet through it twice. could it have been cause by the fact that i reused a bullet that had already been extracted? the bullet did have a few scratched on it. im scared to try it again because i dont want it to get stuck in there again or possibly cause damage.

is it possible that the bolt was just slightly contacting the hex screw and the bullet guide just needs to be "broken in" by using it more?

Edited by CommieGunner

okay I've been looking at it for a while now and I'm almost positive the problem is that when the bolt turns to lock up, it is coming into contact with the bullet guide/hex screw. so now I'm guessing that I need to file/grind this bullet guide down so that it sits low enough to clear the bolt when it is locking up...has anyone had this problem before? would you reccomend either grinding the part that the bolt is hitting, or the entire backside of the guide so that the rough side that I grind doesnt come into contact with the bullets?

Hello, I'm in the process of converting my saiga 7.62 rifle. I just finished instralling the bullet guide and after testing it once to see if it would feed, I ejected the live round, then, when i tried it again, the bolt was stuck and now the round will not eject.

it appears as if the bolt is making contact with the bullet guide screw, but im not sure. there is a very small amount of play in it before it sticks. I thought about hitting it with a mallet, but i don't want the round to go off accidentally. should i try to fire the gun or is this a bad idea?

any suggestuons?

Bullet guide for a 308??? Never heard of it, maybe this is your problem?

is it possible that the bolt was just slightly contacting the hex screw and the bullet guide just needs to be "broken in" by using it more?

If you installed the bullet guide correctly, the bolt should not get hung up on the screw, which should be sunk down into the recessed space in the bullet guide. Did you drill and thread ALL the way through the trunnion?

yes the screw is slightly off to the right, but I checked it is definately seated all the way into the part where the circle is cut out for the screw to sit. I put the factory clip into the reciever and when i looked, i noticed that the bullet guide sits about 1/32nd-1/16th of an inch higher than the plastic bullet guide inside the factory mag.

I DID also notice that the guide is cut a little differently than others i have seen. im going to try and find a picture of a guide like mine...I'm starting to wonder if maybe removing the guide and using just the screw would feed reliably...

this is exactly what mine looks like 2359912.JPG

could it be possible that my trunion just sits higher than most other saigas and this is causing the guide to sit too high in the reciever?

id also like to add that this is only an issue when there is a bullet in the receiver. with no bullet the action works flawlessly, but it just slightly seems to touch the bullet guide.

Edited by CommieGunner

okay after exploring various options the best thing i could come up with was to take the dremel to the hex screw, which is what it did. cycles like a swiss clock now. its amazing what grinding off a few millimeters will do.

this must be something really rare because i looked all over the internet and couldnt find anything about the bullet guide screw sitting too high.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad ya fixed it, but YES, there are a lot of threads about bullet guide problems. Most are fixed by a lil grinding and filing. MIne on my x39 was hanging up, after I rounded off the leading lip a bit, and filed the top of the screw percetly level to the BG, no more issues that breaking the gun in didnt cure, and no more problems ever, no matter which Mags I use...