read a thread about a rusty gas tube on an sgl so i went to check mine and found mad rust.i have never cleaned the tube and it's been sitting ever since a humid day at the range a couple weeks ago.when i think about it logically i think of course it rusted.strange thing is it's the only rust i found anywhere.i also have a converted saiga and a bulgarian that have dirty gas tubes but no rust on those.it's been a mad hot humid summer as you know and all my guns have been sitting in the same safe, no ac just kitty litter in a sock.....no rust on anything but this gas tube.got me thinking maybe this tube isn't as well protected as everything else and maybe i need to replace it.i mean aks were dragged around in Vietnam jungles.maybe they cleaned them more than i suppose they did.i know i sound like a moron but i'll risk it to give a heads up to anyone as lazy and sweaty as i am.check the tube dude.

read a thread about a rusty gas tube on an sgl so i went to check mine and found mad rust.i have never cleaned the tube and it's been sitting ever since a humid day at the range a couple weeks ago.when i think about it logically i think of course it rusted.strange thing is it's the only rust i found anywhere.i also have a converted saiga and a bulgarian that have dirty gas tubes but no rust on those.it's been a mad hot humid summer as you know and all my guns have been sitting in the same safe, no ac just kitty litter in a sock.....no rust on anything but this gas tube.got me thinking maybe this tube isn't as well protected as everything else and maybe i need to replace it.i mean aks were dragged around in Vietnam jungles.maybe they cleaned them more than i suppose they did.i know i sound like a moron but i'll risk it to give a heads up to anyone as lazy and sweaty as i am.check the tube dude.

Why are you going to replace it? just get rid of the rust and clp it. Even heavy rust does not mean the gas system is gonna fuck up.

This "mad rust" :rolleyes: you mention was most likely just surface oxidation. It'll wipe right off, and your gas tube will be fine.

Take this as a lesson learned: if you live in a humid climate, you should clean your gas tube from time to time, (it ain't hard), and leave a residue of CLP or the gun oil of your choice.

i'm not not looking for shit tritium and don't think i'm not going to call you out on putting "act" in quotes trying to belittle me using my choice of words.you too post apoc.you can gtfo with that malarkey.all im doing is talking turkey about rust in my gas tube.

i'm not not looking for shit tritium and don't think i'm not going to call you out on putting "act" in quotes trying to belittle me using my choice of words.you too post apoc.you can gtfo with that malarkey.all im doing is talking turkey about rust in my gas tube.

Honestly bro, they are not talking down to you, they are both just trying to help out. Rust is not normally as bad of a problem with this platform as in others. The key is to brush off surface rust and clp everything after words. Pay careful attention to the barrel, bolt face and pin. Beyond those not much can be fucked up. Good luck man, let me know if you need anything else! :super:

Dude - why so touchy? You ask question, they answer, perhaps with a bit of humor. Grab a beer, laugh it off mate!

Dude, chill! Clean the tube like you'd clean the rest of the gun and all will be well. That's ALL I'm saying.Geeze.

maybe im new to internet culture and don't understand the detachment between people.imagine if you were talking about this to someone you don't know at the range and they made bunny ears and said 'act'.I appreciate everybody's help but i know how to clean this gun i was only posting for the "heads up" cause i read a lot of talk about aks doing 20 thousand rounds in swamps and pissing on it.I imagine that is with the price of rust.how come nobody asked me if i was shooting corrosive or said that the gas tube isn't chrome lined so it rusts faster?yall must be slipping.

oh i guess you did ask

If your shooting steel cased bi-metal jacket ammo, a good portion of the rust is in fact condensed residue from the ammo. I've tested this by starting with a shiny rust free gas tube and shooting a few hundred rounds then cleaning within a few mins, 'rust' was present.

There are several products that will remove or convert rust. I've used them on our old cement equipment and it kills the rust off as if it was never there, I don't know how it would react with the finish on the saiga gas tube, but I've never had paint peel with any of them (you can get a bottle at home depot for like 6 bucks).

Another thing that is good to remember is that the gas tube really only supports the piston, the only area that needs to make a seal is the gas block. So a little rust pitting is not going to impair the function of the rifle, if it was a problem the ruskys would chrome line it.

You really don't want to start with me... you're overmatched. ;) I was trying to help you. I'm sorry that I'm more well-spoken than you are, "friend".

I won't bother in the future. Figure shit out yourself, "tough guy". <_<

Edited by post-apocalyptic

don't try and paint me as the bad guy because i stand up for myself post apoc.i've never been snide to anyone on here.if i want to be an asshole i'll go do it on 4chan.and i don't know what kind of competition you want to prove that you can over match me.I mean "overmatch" me but as far as i can tell the only thing you've got on me is grammar and that doesn't mean anything in my life.see if you can get your high school teacher in here so she can give you a big check plus.you don't have to slide out of anything because you think i'm being a tough guy over the internet I'd love to see what you have in mind to show how much better you are than me.

• Like 1

don't try and paint me as the bad guy because i stand up for myself post apoc.i've never been snide to anyone on here.if i want to be an asshole i'll go do it on 4chan.and i don't know what kind of competition you want to prove that you can over match me.I mean "overmatch" me but as far as i can tell the only thing you've got on me is grammar and that doesn't mean anything in my life.see if you can get your high school teacher in here so she can give you a big check plus.you don't have to slide out of anything because you think i'm being a tough guy over the internet I'd love to see what you have in mind to show how much better you are than me.

lol :lol: So easy.

Anyway, man.. when I responded to you above, I'd just gotten home from work. It was a hell of a week, so I wasn't in the best of moods. Since that last post of mine I've taken some stress-reducing substances ;) and so I'm not even interested anymore.

Fix your gas tube and move on.

that you can over match me.I mean "overmatch" me...

Uh, if you're trying to imply that I was incorrect in my use of the term, you should read this.

...as far as i can tell the only thing you've got on me is grammar and that doesn't mean anything in my life.see if you can get your high school teacher in here so she can give you a big check plus...

That's actually pretty damn funny. :D

Anyway, I'm done with this. I hope you are too.

• Like 1

Wow lot of pissing matches on the board lately, must be the weather.

As for tube rust if it is corrosive primers it would be a odd place for it to be and no where else although a LOT of people dont clean that part so possible. More likely the coating on the inside of the tube was a bit light so just wipe it off and go about your business.

Wow lot of pissing matches on the board lately, must be the weather.

I'm thinking it's more likely attributable to the stress of starting the new school year. We old pharts are immune to this but those young dudes are susceptible. Stress has a way of bringing on anti-social reactions (kind of like the Jet Blue dude). I'm guessing in a few weeks the board should be back to normal.

just in case anyone else wants to help me let me rewrite what i wrote many posts earlier:I appreciate everybody's help but i know how to clean this gun i was only posting for the "heads up" cause i read a lot of talk about aks doing 20 thousand rounds in swamps and pissing on it(yes i don't know how to use the quote feature) i don't mean to sound hard or anything but i feel it's my duty to not have a thread go on and on with people writing "clean the tube" over and over.i got it and i know how to do it and i'm guessing any future readers will get it by now.as far as so called pissing matches go i'm seriously not here to create internet beef but i'm not going to be talked to with some snotty attitude.not without pointing out to the antagonist it's of poor character and/or fucking with them.if you didn't mean it that way cool.

whats up with old guys not comprehending words and coping attitude.read the post right above you klassy and dont put a 2010 fact spin on it

You've started this thread with an attitude, and you're seeing bogey men where there are none. If an answer is not worded to your liking, although honest and innocent, then it is your personal problem. You appear to be looking for an argument. Cut the shit or leave the building. Any mouth and my next action will be administrative in nature. Clear enough?

bullshit go back and read every post of mine i am clearly trying to be nice and new people keep jumping in saying this or that.i tried more than i should have to be clear about my post and the reactions i was getting.if you still think im in the wrong ban me.im not looking at this thread anymore either way