Virgin post for me as new owner of the mighty S-12. Picked it up nearly new at pawn shop for $200 a few weeks ago after seeing one in action at a 3 gun just mow down the targets.

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Browning Belgium A5. A little neighborhood disturbance had me reaching for the Saiga.

Later a friend asked for some help with a water mocassin and copperhead problem by his creek. The dogs are tangling with them. 5 for 5 eliminated with low brass 8 shot. The family gaped in wide-eyed wonder at the sight of this weapon. I love this damn thing.

Mags are as much as the gun, but it's destined to be a classic.

The way it wheels and aims and soft recoil is wonderful. I put a big honkin' muzzle brake on it and it looks like an anti-aircraft gun. Got an 8 round coming from Roosha-maybe!

What muzzle brake are you using? I'm trying to figure out if I'd rather do a muzzle brake, chokes, or a choke-compensator combo. Can you post pictures of your new gun? Thanks

post-2029-1115311166.jpgI'll try to get a photo. It's plain Jane. Muzzle brake is Veriforce Tactical. $35. It has 6 slit ports held on by 4 set screws. It fits 1" 12 Ga. barrels and was too tight, so I sanded it down (aluminum) inside to just fit with persuasion. I think it helps the rise a bit, and it is so tight it won't ever come off unless I heat it.

I like the short sight distance myself and didn't go with the sight/brake combo. It splattered those snakes at 10 yards just fine! The deer in North Carolina have a surprise instore with 3" 00 buck screaming their way next year. Doing 3 gun in June if it's legal. No BHO.

Cheers

Edited by snake

A little place called Hickory Flat, Ga. It's 10 miles from Alpharetta, 35 miles north of Atlanta. I'm a native Atlantan, but rarely go down the city.

Brought up hunting and fishing. My dad is from Winton/ Ahoskie, NC. My cousins live in Nags Head and Va Beach, lucky dogs. Guns and such were never a big deal. We used them to kill deer, dove and squirrels and ward off bad guys. I took them to school for show and tell!

My buddies familiar with AK types and other friends who don't know which end goes in front both react to this thing. It means business.

Edited by snake

You can get one of Black Jacks "Swift" levers for the S12. It replaces your existing safety and has a notch for a bolt hold open. It also has an extra tab on it for engagement of the safety with yout right forefinger. Assuming that you are right handed it will work very well. I have one on my SAR1, and one on the way later this week for my S12. It should be enough for the 3 gun rules. I know a lot of guys here use the S12 for 3 gun, and I intend to do the same here shortly.

Nice find by the way. Is it already converted to pistol grip, or are you going to do it?

IJ

No pistol grip now. I find it quite comfortable as a sporter stock but maybe in the future the whole grip/kobra sight etc may happen. Right now the gun and 8 shot mag will suffice to consume my toy funds.

Thanks for the safety latch suggestion. The man using the S-12 at the match cut about 45 to 60 seconds off his time reloading as it was snowing! Cold hands=slow reload. I recognized his gun from the ones in Centerfire Systems catalogue. Dismissed it as a piece of Russian crap at $219 for years! When we asked him the brand he answered "Saiga" with that authoritative tone and smiling nod of his head. Then wow there's one on the wall at a little pawn shop. It's a ferocious shotgun that shoots about like my MAK 90. Only there's a pound of lead involved.

Cheers

Edited by snake

S! Snake!

I bought my 1st Saiga due to my lack of thrill after viewing a Romanian AK at my local shop...I just wanted a "Defense-Rifle" and $350 for THAT rough looking rifle made look deeper. I found the Saiga at a Kmart type store and easily spent $350 bring my Saiga back to "Defensive-rifle" status..BUT..Dang they are new and sweet..not a 30 year old pass- around. I so wish I would have bought more that 1 S12 while I could! :cryss:

Hey snake welcome aboard! I used to have some family up in Ahoskie. Damn 3/4 of the people who live in this state have never even heard of it. I hope those snakes you were bustin were really poisonous. To some folks all snakes are copperheadrattlemoccasins. :devil:

SSSSSSSSSSS

Thank you for all of the kind words of welcome.

Where the hell is Ahoskie, NC?

Careful, my vette eats Cobras for lunch!!!!! (Chevy-Ford thang)

Yes these were venomous. I scared his wife and kids with those 2 big teethees. I don't like killing snakes of any species and they don't frighten me. It was for the good of his family and pets.

Most certainly RBGC! I went as a guest of a member (Bob S.) to watch. I live 15 miles from it and shot skeet and sporting clays many times but had never seen 3 gun in person.

Saigas are not fair in 3 gun. They are simply vastly superior to pump and tube fed semi auto. If I want to go pistol grip I'll definitely holler. I'll watch in June.

Cheers

Edited by snake

Until Tony adds some classes I'm gonna go with what's FUN!

I also run the action pistol match at RBGC, 3rd Saturday of the month. $15, three bays, about 100-120 rounds shot...we even provide lunch!

Hell I wish I was 15 minutes from the club!

hey snake, definately welcome aboard. i have similar reactions from people where I am when they see my s12. the one i have now im not parting with ever. this is without a doubt the best shotgun ive ever shot.

heres something else about the saigas seeing how you get rain where you are....that finish on the gun? ive gotten mine soaked in downpours and just wiped it off when i got indoors and racked it for a month. it wont rust :)

ive also run shells left over from a rained out duck hunt ten years prior without a hiccup from the thing. there are numerous abusive examples like that across this board proving this gun's ultimate reliability.

now that you said it LOOKS like an antiaircraft gun, try bump firing it :) it almost sounds like one too then.....but hey, im just happy i have a 12 gauge AK.