Good '74 muzzle brake

I'm looking for the final part of my rifle conversion... a '74 style muzzle brake threaded in 24. I hear some are less authentic than others, and the result of that being that some barely reduce recoil and muzzle climb while the genuine designs almost eliminate the two. What do you guys recommend?

I'm looking for the final part of my rifle conversion... a '74 style muzzle brake threaded in 24. I hear some are less authentic than others, and the result of that being that some barely reduce recoil and muzzle climb while the genuine designs almost eliminate the two. What do you guys recommend?

It's kind of self-correcting.

If it's not a 24mm threaded brake, it's one of the sh***y ones.

While not all the 24mm US made brakes are "authentic", they're damned sure closer to it than the cheapy 14mmxLH ones.

• Like 1

i got one of the ak-103..com brakes. it works great. looks 99.9% identical to the russian ak-103 brake minus the izhmash arrow in triangle.

The advantage the ak-103.com brakes have is that they are chrome-lined. The other US-made '74 type brakes are not. The disadvantage is that they're almost twice as expensive. It's not a big deal either way, but the chrome makes a brake tougher, easier to clean, and a bit more authentic.

Currently I use a K-Var '74 type brake, (came with my rifle). I have one that I bought from ak-103.com.. but the local fascist revenue-collectors are still holding it as "evidence". :evil: I should get it back in Oct/Nov, after my case finally comes to trial.

The advantage the ak-103.com brakes have is that they are chrome-lined. The other US-made '74 type brakes are not. The disadvantage is that they're almost twice as expensive. It's not a big deal either way, but the chrome makes a brake tougher, easier to clean, and a bit more authentic.

K-Var is quite proud of their chrome-lined US-made brakes.

I have one that I bought from ak-103.com.. but the local fascist revenue-collectors are still holding it as "evidence". :evil: I should get it back in Oct/Nov, after my case finally comes to trial.

Geez, Post, I hope things go well for you. If you end up doing hard time, I'd suggest the Forum form a prison ministry unit. We'd take turns coming to visit you in the big house and read selected Forum threads for your enjoyment. We'd edit out Big Sal's comment so as to not anger you. Maybe if the volunteers became accredited ministers in this "church" we could take advantage of the tax breaks that are allowed to these guys. Always trying to be helpful.

Edited by denden
  • Like 1

K-Var is quite proud of their chrome-lined US-made brakes.

I just checked their site, and while they do have some US-made '74 type chrome-lined brakes available, they're for 5.45/5.56, not for 7.62.

The US-made '74 type brake they make for 7.62 makes no mention of chrome-lining, (it's also cheaper, which further indicates a lack of chrome)... and the ones I have are not.

I have one that I bought from ak-103.com.. but the local fascist revenue-collectors are still holding it as "evidence". :evil: I should get it back in Oct/Nov, after my case finally comes to trial.

Geez, Post, I hope things go well for you. If you end up doing hard time, I'd suggest the Forum form a prison ministry unit. We'd take turns coming to visit you in the big house and read selected Forum threads for your enjoyment. We'd edit out Big Sal's comment so as to not anger you. Maybe if the volunteers became accredited ministers in this "church" we could take advantage of the tax breaks that are allowed to these guys. Always trying to be helpful.

lol :lol: This unconstitutional bullshit charge I'm facing is a class 3 misdemeanor, so no "hard time" will be involved.. just the loss of thousands of my dollars in legal fees and hours of my time wasted at the courthouse.

I do appreciate your offer of the "S-12 ministry"... but I gotta say, were I incarcerated, that I'd be more interested in a coordinated effort to provide suitable (tasty) candidates for conjugal visits. :D

I'm thinking about picking up a few items for my WASR, I'd like a 74 style brake if it really works. I've always wondered though, is there a special 74 style brake for 7.62 rifles?

The design most definitely works to significantly reduce muzzle climb.

What you need to use an effective, (properly designed), '74 type brake on your WASR is a 14x1mm LH to 24x1.5mm RH thread adapter. Either that or yank and replace your FSB. Installing the adapter's a bit easier. :D

So they don't make any brakes in 14x1mm lh? Weird.

They do make brakes with 14x1LH thread pitch.

Some are very good, but they're not AK74 pattern brakes.

The ~$20 "AK74 style" brakes in 14x1LH are smelly POS' - stay away from them if you expect military AK74 brake functionality.

My shooting buddy recently purchased a 14mm brake at a gunshow here in the houston area recently and finally had a chance to use it. it was installed on the factory threaded barrel of his new saiga. all shots were hitting very high. he later found out that the bullets were hitting the exit hole on the brake and going askew. there was copper on the lower edge of the brakes exit.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Ha, I didn't address it directly before, but I will now: your posts usually amuse, inform, and entertain me.. but they don't make me angry. You don't have that kind of power over me, Sal. ;)

Yep, that demo video is pretty impressive.

If I were in the market for a 14x1 LH muzzle brake, I'd probably go with that one.

However, my current rifles have 24x1.5 RH threading, (no more AKM's), so I'm all about the '74 type. :smoke:

A side-by-side test of these two types would be interesting to see.

Ha, I didn't address it directly before, but I will now: your posts usually amuse, inform, and entertain me.. but they don't make me angry. You don't have that kind of power over me, Sal. ;)

:lolol: :lolol: I would hope I educate you more than anything else!

Image9_screen.jpg

FWIW... initially I bought the AK-140US model from K-VAR. The one I received seemed to be slightly out of spec and had issues threading onto both of my 14x1mm LH to 24x1.5mm RH adapters. The coating seemed to be painted on and might flake off after a few hundred rounds or so; can't say for sure if that would have happened or not.

I returned it to K-VAR for credit and bought one from Krebs Custom instead. Don't have my barrel threaded yet to try it, but it seems to be very good quality.

yeah, that pws brake is nice, and i also would like to see a comparable test with the 74 24mm brake. maybe even a video showing a FA AK with 74 brake from a similar angle.

thats the first time i looked at the krebs page in a while. has anyone seen his Saiga specific safety? By the wording I presume its for the unmodded saigas. its pretty odd looking.

lol :lol: This unconstitutional bullshit charge I'm facing is a class 3 misdemeanor, so no "hard time" will be involved.. just the loss of thousands of my dollars in legal fees and hours of my time wasted at the courthouse.

I do appreciate your offer of the "S-12 ministry"... but I gotta say, were I incarcerated, that I'd be more interested in a coordinated effort to provide suitable (tasty) candidates for conjugal visits. :D

Dang, Post A! That BS garbage from last winter still hunting you? I thought you beat it long ago!