S308 16in - Range Cartridge Comparison

TxMark,

Looks like the Hornady 168 Amax or 175 Match is the way to go.. or the Radway Green or Winchester..

Great report now I have to go buy a box of each and try it.. :killer:

Shoot any Tula 150 gr?? Someone mentioned the 110 TAP ammo yesterday as being accurate...

FYI Note: I remeasured/figured my shooting from last weekend.. it was 263 yards (at least 260) and not 300 yards.. though it was up a narrow trail.

I was shooting low when set at 230 yards but hitting 50%.. then the next morning I cranked the scope to 300 yards and those 5 rounds totally missed (which were the Prvt Partizan 168 HPBT Match).

I'll be trying one more volley with the Prvt Part at 200 yards this coming Friday and hurling some Tula 150gr 200 yards also...

Al

Al;

Thanks. I'm convinced that the 168gr A-Max is THE round for my 16 incher.

BTW... the 300 yard experience may not have just been misjudged range. A 10-degree slope can change impact significantly. The mil-dot master calculator has a plumb line capability for inclination/declination shooting.

Never shot the Tula 150gr. But, I'm sure I can learn through you.

Can't wait to see the 200 yard work.

While Al (YWHIC) is prepping for his Friday 200 yard shoot, which I look forward to as well, I'm setting up for a 100 yard test this weekend.

A little background:

Throughout the 70's I was heavily into reloading and shooting. My primary rifle was a Model 70 Winchester XTR bull barrel in .243. Cases were trimmed, thinned, flash hole prepped, primer pocket reamed, and checked for consistent volume. I could repeatedly shoot tacks at 200 yards and took coyotes at 250-430 yards. Two of my other rifles were a Mini-14 and an HK 91 A3. Nine years active Navy, reserves, and the Texas State Guard put me through quite a bit of training on many different weapons.

But, after a long break from shooting, I'm back to tac. Perhaps I'm a 'born again' noob? I tend to think of shooting as more like riding a bicycle.

So, in preparing to squeeze what I can out of the Saiga 308, I'm doing one thing necessary for someone who isn't hand loading - weighing and inspecting the rounds.

DAG German milsurp: 24.14 grams to 24.31 grams, variance 0.17 grams (2.55 grains)

Federal GMM 168gr Match: 25.47 grams to 25.55 grams, variance 0,08 grams (1.2 grains)

Hornady 168gr A-Max: 23.93 grams to 24.10 grams, variance 0.17 grams (2.55 grains)

What would account for weight variance? Probably a combination of case and powder, right?

It only stands to reason that cartridges that weigh the same are more likely to shoot the same than those that are not.

My next magic trick will be a cartridge spinner that uses an amplified photocell to generate a tone based on bullet shape and concentricity, A steady tone would indicate a straight round. A warbling tone would reveal a wobbly round. If someone else wants to invent one using my idea, please repay me by giving me one free. :) I'll be happy to draw a diagram.

BTW... if nobody else has closely inspected the inside of the cartridges after firing, have a look sometime. I found the DAG fired cases to be the cleanest inside. The Germans must have been using one great powder back in the 90's.