Few questions for new S-12 owner

hello all i have lurked the forums for a bit now. An just picked up my S-12 two weeks ago. I have a few questions, if anyone could help me i'd much appreciate it :D

1: Any S-12 owners on long island/NY ? I'm a bit confused about getting a pistol grip. i know I'm not allowed a folding stock.. but when i asked the gun store about the pistol grip, he said yes but make sure to get it professionally done... that made me a bit worried.

2: I went to the range this weekend, shot off about 50 rounds, no miss feeds what so ever which i was very happy about ... after i started to clean my gun the gas piston was jammed/gunked up an very hard to remove... this normal after shooting ?

so if any one knows {facts} on NY/long island rules/reg converting plz let me know.. TYVM

I'd like to add.. I was looking to send my S-12 here. http://www.firearmsp...Saiga-Page.html

full conversion stock/grip an trigger grp for 300$

Overhaul the gas system is $80

Upgraded gas puck and plug are $70

Reduced power recoil spring is $15 installed

Performance power main spring is $20

Internal Polishing if contact surfaces is $65

is this a good price?

was looking at tromix too

Can't help you out about laws in NY or anywhere else, other than to say don't break them with a gun, because they take all that stuff real serious.

On the puck getting gummed up yeah it's kind of normal, shouldn't be too bad after 50 rounds. Did you clean the gun / gas block before you shot and leave it dry? If you leave it oily that makes it worse and I'm just starting to look into what shells shoot cleaner or dirtier powders.

Good luck and enjoy your gun.

You re-posted while I was writing, don’t know the company you’re looking at there, they aren’t giving anything away and most of the builders on the forum here could be as good if not better in the build and cost.

I'd like to add.. I was looking to send my S-12 here. http://www.firearmsp...Saiga-Page.html

full conversion stock/grip an trigger grp for 300$

Overhaul the gas system is $80

Upgraded gas puck and plug are $70

Reduced power recoil spring is $15 installed

Performance power main spring is $20

Internal Polishing if contact surfaces is $65

is this a good price?

was looking at tromix too

My be a good price, but it's not a Tromix.

Do yourself a big favor and go with one of the proven vendors here on the fourm, you'll save money, time and worry.

I'm no expert, but I thought you couldn't have a pistol grip in NY. Skeleton stocks are OK though. Can anyone confirm?

yea thats what i thought until.. my gun shop said you can, just get it done by a weapon smith so you can prove it was done by a professional.. which makes no sense.. to me at least.

Edited by NYLI81

I'm no expert, but I thought you couldn't have a pistol grip in NY. Skeleton stocks are OK though. Can anyone confirm?

yea thats what i thought until.. my gun shop said you can, just get it done by a weapon smith so you can prove it was done by a professional.. which makes no sense.. to me at least.

If the guy at the gun shop is wrong, who gets the fine/s, gun taken away, and/or jail?

Employment in a store doesn't make someone an expert in the law.

Use caution and find out for sure what's legal.

that one of the reasons for me asking.. think it would be best just to call my local police department ?

Welcome NYLI81!

I'm in Central New York. Had the same question as you last year when I got my S12. If you search the forms here you will learn that thumbhole/skeleton stocks on the S12 are OK in New York State. Pistol grips are not.

To paraphrase NYS AWB re shotguns:

"Assault Weapon" defined as a Semi-auto shotgun with two of the following:

Folding or Telescoping Stock

Pistol Grip

Fixed Magazine > 5 round capacity

Detachable Magazine

Since the Saiga-12 already has a detachable magazine, adding the folding/telescoping stock or a pistol grip puts you in violation.

Silly crap, I know.

I called the NYS Police on this issue and was told thumbhole/skeleton stocks are not considered pistol grips. Furthermore, the text of NY's proposed expanded AWB adds thumbhole stocks to the forbidden list. Why would they be specifically added to the proposed (not in effect) law if they were illegal under the existing law?

If it helps you with you decision, here I am in NY with my S-12 equipped with a skeleton stock. Mine is not converted. You used to be able to get a Bulgarian skeleton stock that worked on converted (trigger group moved back to original location) S-12's, but I don't think they are available any longer.

Have Fun!

post-15886-041831200 1282077599_thumb.jpg

Welcome NYLI81!

I'm in Central New York. Had the same question as you last year when I got my S12. If you search the forms here you will learn that thumbhole/skeleton stocks on the S12 are OK in New York State. Pistol grips are not.

To paraphrase NYS AWB re shotguns:

"Assault Weapon" defined as a Semi-auto shotgun with two of the following:

Folding or Telescoping Stock

Pistol Grip

Fixed Magazine > 5 round capacity

Detachable Magazine

Since the Saiga-12 already has a detachable magazine, adding the folding/telescoping stock or a pistol grip puts you in violation.

Silly crap, I know.

I called the NYS Police on this issue and was told thumbhole/skeleton stocks are not considered pistol grips. Furthermore, the text of NY's proposed expanded AWB adds thumbhole stocks to the forbidden list. Why would they be specifically added to the proposed (not in effect) law if they were illegal under the existing law?

If it helps you with you decision, here I am in NY with my S-12 equipped with a skeleton stock. Mine is not converted. You used to be able to get a Bulgarian skeleton stock that worked on converted (trigger group moved back to original location) S-12's, but I don't think they are available any longer.

Have Fun!

tyvm citzen bob

some BS .. but thank you again for taking you time an posting.... guess i'll have to do whit the skeleton stock :(

ok quick question... how come an AK can have a pistol grip whit a stock an is clip feed,, an i cant on the s-12 ?

seems wrong.. no ???

Of course it seems wrong.. the entire concept of an "assault weapons" ban is wrong.

If you mean that it seems inconsistent, yes it does. But since bullshit laws like these are based on ignorance and emotion rather than logic, shotguns are considered "more eviler" than rifles and are even more restricted.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

ok quick question... how come an AK can have a pistol grip whit a stock an is clip feed,, an i cant on the s-12 ?

seems wrong.. no ???

Of course it seems wrong.. the entire concept of an "assault weapons" ban is wrong.

If you mean that it seems inconsistent, yes it does. But since bullshit laws like these are based on ignorance and emotion rather than logic, shotguns are considered "more eviler" than rifles and are even more restricted.

so wrong on so many levels :(

If the guy at the gun shop is wrong, who gets the fine/s, gun taken away, and/or jail?

Employment in a store doesn't make someone an expert in the law.

Use caution and find out for sure what's legal.

that one of the reasons for me asking.. think it would be best just to call my local police department ?

HELL NO!

The police rarely ever tell you the law. They rarely KNOW the law in my experience.

I would read the administrative rules & revised statutes on the subject.

I'm waiting for forum Mod Nailbomb or Member AKA Stormi to cue in....

I'm sure there's a reason they use skeleton stocks on all their conversions.

ok quick question... how come I can go buy an AK whit a pistol grip whit a stock an is clip feed,, an i cant on the s-12 ?

seems wrong.. no ???

The NYS definition of an "Assault Weapon" is different for rifles vrs shotguns vrs pistols.

There is no logic to any of it.

I will tell you this, if you are going to play with these things in NYS invest some serious time learning the laws.