While looking at another post earlier I was thinking about how some brands of shells seem to leave more deposits behind when fired.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience about what if any brand seems the cleanest or the dirtiest when firing?

As far as the cheap shells go, the Federal bulk pack at Walmart will leave about 10 times more fouling in the gas block compared to the Remington shells. The Remington bulk pack is very clean at least when fired in an 8" shorty.

Tony

• Like 1

Generally speaking, the more expensive the ammo, the less residue it'll leave in your gun.

Winchester Universal is the worst, Federal works well but is pretty dirty, and yes, the more expensive Remington is relatively clean.

More expensive varieties of Federal burn much cleaner.

ymmv.

Winchester is with out a doubt, the worst as far as carbon fouling. At the Pan American shotgun match GunfighterUk shot several winchester slugs in rapid order and the smoke from the slugs actually obscured the rest of the targets from his view. We honestly believe Winchester uses black powder because it's anything other than "smokeless".

• 11 months later...

First thanks for the input.

Based on the long posted information I had kind of steered clear of the Winchester shells, still buy some flats if I get a good deal.

With some testing we were and are still doing we've tried to pick up a pretty good variety of different shells (Kent, Rio, Estate, Federal and Remington bulk pack), after a while it was more of a test of what shotgun shells that would cycle the gun and less about what fit in the magazine. Plus I was seeing some of these brands tended to be pretty nasty as far as the puck and gas block were concerned.

I had a pile of Centurion 7/8 oz shells that I've about reached the end of (stuff ran the gun fine but was kind of dirty).

Now I'm looking at the next bunch of flats to order for testing and my shooting skeet / clays (I prefer 1 oz loads but I am a cheap SOB). Bass Pro has Remington Gun Club for $5.00 a box and their shipping is cheaper than a lot of the places I was looking at.

Any last thoughts on their Gun Club ammo before I pull out a credit card?

The gunclub is good as any. Personaly, I don't realy see any differance in any of the brands listed. They all run the same and produce the same fouling. My latest experience has been fouling on the gas puck of my Saiga-12 K. I have a 16" barrel with four port holes. I took it to the range and ran 150 rounds of three different brands of low brass bird shot and when I got home to clean it, I noticed that there was a plastic waifer formed in a half moon in between the gas plug and the gas puck. Yeah, the fouling from the burnt powder hardened into some form of plasic looking sruff that glued the puck and gas regulator together, I actualy had to make a special large screw driver to turn the gas regulator out . Once I saw the plastic looking disk formed in front of the gas puck, I had to use a small screw driver to pry it out because it was formed solid and nothing would move inside the gas block. My question is, has anyone had this same experience and how many rounds were fired to cause this condition inside the gas block. Anyway, I did'nt mean to get off subject, but yes the Gunclub is good stuff as is the Remington 1oz birdshot. I shoot mostly Remington 1oz #8 shot in both my Saiga 12's without any feed issues at all. It's just the fouling that I'm concerned about in this particular gun.

Edited by macaholic

i bought some cheap federal 1oz loads from academy and within 20rds my ports were clogged so bad it would hardly cycle.

Did you notice any of the plastic stuff I described in between the puck and gas plug? :unsure:

Yes it was mostly all melted plastic fouling. My gun is a 09 3 port drilled to 3/32"

I use Winchester cause it's whats most common locally. It does smoke ALOT. I shot about 40rnds one day in my wooded 40yrd range and I'm suprised no one called the fire department.

As for fouling, I don't know, since I tend to shoot a mix when Ido shoot out back, it's hard to tell what's the worst.

Good thread though, I'll start switching out to Remy and se if I notice a diff.

Edited by BpS12

i shoot everything in my 12, i like all the smoke and fouling just for range run lets you know you really when and shot when you get back in the house and take you regulator plug out and have it filled stanky carbon

but yeah Winchester is pretty nutz in term of what you'll be left cleaning up, and i had a bulk pack of 100 rem 3" hunting loads, shot the entire box at my skeet shooting range and when i started cleaning the gun it barely had any carbon built up it barley needed to be cleaned so +++ for the rem bulk

i bought some cheap federal 1oz loads from academy and within 20rds my ports were clogged so bad it would hardly cycle.

Did you notice any of the plastic stuff I described in between the puck and gas plug? :unsure:

Yes it was mostly all melted plastic fouling. My gun is a 09 3 port drilled to 3/32"

My gun has 4 ports but they aren't that big. I think they are more around 5/64. I'm just trying to find out if this much fouling is normal after shooting 100 or so rounds of low brass. I never ran more than 75 rounds at a time in this particular gun, untill I had the barrel cut and went from 3 ports to 4 ports. The ports are angled toward the gas piston and they are postioned in the shape of a square, rather than a diamond. I will say the gun runs very well, it's just the fouling I'm worried about because it does seem a little more that I would expect, but I realy don't know because I'm fairly new to the Saiga-12 platform..

Edited by macaholic