UP Grade to my old reliable Saiga 12

Gents, two weeks ago I found that my Saiga 12 with a very basic conversion was no longer competitive (yes I'm a bit rusty) still with all the mag wells and optics every seems to have these days. I was pretty obvious that my old reliable weapon needs an up grade.

So I'm looking at options to make my S-12 a race Shotgun and still my go to gun if I need it. I'll post a picture of it now. I have a great deal of AGP mags and Russian 8s not sure I want to modify my mags, so I think a last round bold lock will work for me. I was at one time pretty quick with the rock and lock. with the bolt held back it will be that much faster.

Got to get back to work now.

Topmaul.

Word to the wise, Mid barrel comps work, but it's not worth the headache. I'd never put one on if I could go back.

Mag wells are reversible but with the rock n lock guide that Carolina Shooter's Supply Sells, I'd just go with that and practice.

Yes, Mag wells are fast, but I'm going to try and beat all the 12ga guys with my S20 here in a month or so. I'll let you know once I have everything worked out.

Send me a PM and we can talk. :)

Topmaul.

Word to the wise, Mid barrel comps work, but it's not worth the headache. I'd never put one on if I could go back.

Mag wells are reversible but with the rock n lock guide that Carolina Shooter's Supply Sells, I'd just go with that and practice.

Yes, Mag wells are fast, but I'm going to try and beat all the 12ga guys with my S20 here in a month or so. I'll let you know once I have everything worked out.

Send me a PM and we can talk. :)

I've been thinking to build up a 20ga comp gun. I sold my first s20 many years ago when finding that local 3 gun matches were oft requiring 00 buck (manliness factor as they let wominz shoot 20's lol) ... it was a real sweet shooter and VERY reliable right out of the box ... sigh .... I've got another 20ga, but my 10 rounder 3" mags aren't competition ready :(

Tell me about your s20?

Are your finding the 14 rounders 100 percent reliable? I've got them on my "to buy" list, but will wait for more field reports before buying in bulk :) Seems like their smaller width would make it easer to carry. Also, better grip on mags = more reliable reloads ... IMO ... especially valuable if you are running them cinched (I'd definitely want to do that, at least for a starts). Any thoughts on putting extensions on these, try to reach 20 rounds?

What optic is that, and how is it mounted?

Love the look of the tank brake! but I wonder how effective it is way out on the end? (vs the mid bbl brakes which have more pressure to work with). S20 is a pretty soft shooter anyways so might not be critical.

what kind of choking do you have on it (factory fixed? factory threaded? aftermarket threaded?)

Top, I agree with the above suggestion, I'd get the wedge and practice for a few hours in the house to see if you can get proficient.

If you get really serious you HAVE to buy a timer. It'll help you set goals and measure progress. For instance, you could set the goal of a reliable 2 second reload. Set the timer to a 2 second par time. Shoulder the shotgun and on first beep start the reload See if your sights are back on target, trigger engaged before second beep happens. When you can do this 20 times in a row, drop the time to 1.9 seconds and repeat. Use that timer on the range to do shot to shot times (with reload in between) don't cheat, hit a target with both shots :) You'll be surprised what the timer will tell you ... it's unbiased .. you don't rely on "that felt faster" and it'll get you away from bad habits quickly. Best $$ to spend for improving! Look for a good used timer, the brian enos board has used timers routinely and you save a little $$.

good idea I have a gymboss you can set for any time interval say 5 seconds and try to get two mag changes it will beep every 5 seconds up to 99 times that way I could get in a lot of practice and build muscle memory then once I get good at that I could try for 3 mag changes!

Go to e-bay put in Gymboss and you'll see what I mean they are only 24 bucks

Am I reading correctly, "No mag well"?

My solution: Mag well (Home built, because I wanted a bigger "mouth"). Home made mag pouch, so the magazines could be stored shot shells up and closer to the gun. Extended mag release. Practice reloads holding the gun pointing at the target with the strong hand.

Burris Fastfire mounted on the rear sight dovetail. Interestingly, my home made mount using the 1911 Burris mount works better than the R&R mount. The R&R is just too low for the cheap AK stock I use.

The .5 Russian choke (half choke). The best all around choke I have.

I prefer the AGP 10 round mags. The 3 gun matches I shoot are mostly USPSA rules, where the maximum load is 10 rounds.

Two second reloads, shot to shot. This is really not that important, because you rarely do a standing reload. The mag well gives you a reliable reload while running, difficult to do, "rock and lock".

• 6 months later...

I was going to build an AR for match shooting but decided to keep my old Olympic Plinker "Cast receiver" which has always been reliable and very accurate. So I'm taking that money and putting into my Saiga 12 and getting it ready for this year.