I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that the old eyes aren't what they used to be. I've always used scopes only with my deer rifles. I've preferred challenging myself with iron sights when shooting my AK, SKS, Mosin, .22LR, etc. Part of me has always thought that these types of rifles were never meant to be scoped. However, if I'm going to continue to enjoy shooting my favorite rifle (Saiga .223) past 25 yards, I'm going to have to have it scoped.

I've tentatively decided to get a POSP for the following reasons:

1. I believe it will "look right" on the Saiga.

2. I believe the POSP was designed for this style of weapon so it will maintain center.

3. It's different than my other scopes (new toy factor).

I would appreciate any advice you might give me. Is this the right choice? Which type of POSP do you recommend for a .223? Has anyone had good luck with a different type of scope on a Saiga .223?

Any help will be appreciate.

Thanks.

I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that the old eyes aren't what they used to be. I've always used scopes only with my deer rifles. I've preferred challenging myself with iron sights when shooting my AK, SKS, Mosin, .22LR, etc. Part of me has always thought that these types of rifles were never meant to be scoped. However, if I'm going to continue to enjoy shooting my favorite rifle (Saiga .223) past 25 yards, I'm going to have to have it scoped.

Have you tried a non-magnified red dot? I've managed some very good accuracy with those. I don't like magnified scopes on my AKs, on account of the role that I think they might be used in for real life purposes.

I've tentatively decided to get a POSP for the following reasons:

1. I believe it will "look right" on the Saiga.

2. I believe the POSP was designed for this style of weapon so it will maintain center.

3. It's different than my other scopes (new toy factor).

I would appreciate any advice you might give me. Is this the right choice? Which type of POSP do you recommend for a .223? Has anyone had good luck with a different type of scope on a Saiga .223?

Any help will be appreciate.

Thanks.

I had one of these for a while. They are heavy and bulky (like pretty much all side mount options), but not bad otherwise. I had the one with the uncluttered German Post reticle. The one with the BDCs does not make sense to me on a .223, since the BDCs are for a different caliber. I don't see range estimation as part of the reticle to be very necessary either, given my max range and relatively little bullet drop for 5.45 and .223.

Jim

I put a non-magnification 1x Reflex sight on my Saiga .223. It doesn't magnify, but it's reflex so you there is no eye relief issue. I mount it on my forehand grip picatinny rail. That's about 12" away. You can look through it with 1 eye or both eyes open. You can choose red dot, cross hair, etc... type sights. I am not trying to shoot my Saiga like my deer/elk rifle. (Meaning 3 shots touching each other at 100 yards. With my no-mag reflex sight, I can put all my shots inside the size of about a melon. Meaning 6-7". Not bad for basically open sights. BTW; the sights weight only a couple of OUNCES.

This is the best set up i have found. don't have to worry about any type of failures or extra weight. I thought about going back to blade but after switching back ad forth the peep was still the best for me. Its seems to be the best combo for quick sight acquisition under stress situations and decent bench shooting with practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKeRaZSAKA

I've got a 2.5x Redfield on the much-maligned UTG mount that attaches to the side rail. The scope is probably 30 years old and was repaired after failing on a muzzleloader. It was lying around unused so I tried it on the Saiga and am quite happy with it. The UTG mount lets me field strip the gun without removing the scope.

This particular scope model has a 1" tube with no bell at the objective end. The ocular is an oblong affair that has a wider-than-tall eyelens...sort of a mini TV screen effect. It has a very wide field, is quite clear and seems in-focus from the end of the barrel on out. What's neat is that when you shoot, little puffs of smoke appear at the bottom of the field-of-view.

You see these scopes occasionally on Gun Broker.

Bob