Noob question, "How do you order ammo?"

Ok, by checking this forum, I have figured out that I have recently purchased a "Sie-Guh".

Before buying my Saiga, ordering ammo was easy. I could ask for 9mm or .40 or 12 gauge or .308 and get just what I wanted.

However, ordering ammo has proven to be a problem. What is the proper way to say "7.62 x 39"

I was calling around pricing ammo and I kept having to repeat myself until they understood what I wanted.

So that is my question, How do you refer to the ammo? Is there some cool inside way of ordering this ammo?

Edited by thoricuncle

I would say, "Seven six two by three nine".

I would NEVER say ".308 ANYTHING", EVER, unless I was referring to .308 Winchester or 7.62x51mm NATO, Neither of which are 7.62x39mm.

The last one, while I can tell, is probably a joke, could actually cause more harm than guaffahs: The Soviets, and now the Russians, have used the 5.45x39mm round in their "AKs" (Specifically the AK-74 and later AK-1xx variants) for over three decades.

Remember, Wiki is your friend for quick, non-controversial topics!

I've only bought 7.62x39 in a store once, and I didn't have to ask for it. I just went and picked it up off the shelf. Otherwise, I get it online.

But I voted "Seven six two by thirty nine", as that's how I say it when speaking about it. When I'm typing and referring to 7.62x39, I'll usually get lazy and just say "x39".

I just ask for the terrorist ammo that goes in those big bad spooky guns!!

Oh, and remember to say "that shit is da' BOMB!" mumbling the first part but yelling the Bomb part.

That seems to go over well for me.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1