FTE everytime since polishing bolt and carrier!!!

hey guys, so i just got my saiga 12 this past saturday. the day i bought it i put maybe 6-8 rounds of bulk remington low brass and 5-6 00 buck, without a single issue. then i take out the bolt and bolt carrier and go to work polishing. i havent even polished it that well yet in fact most of the bolt carrier is just had the parkerizing removed but not even polished yet. however the bottom side of the carrier is polished along the the bottom side of the bolt and the top side of the hammer. i know i havent taken too much of because i havent really grinded on it anywhere just polishing a little.

now today i try to shoot the same low brass ammo and EVERY SINGLE shot will not cycle! tried probably 10 rounds every last one would not eject! i unscrewed the plug and took out the puck and looked the holes dont appear to be covered or clogged. so i put it back in tried setting 1 and 2 several times with the same result! i dont get it, it worked fine, i polished it alittle, now it dont work at all. did i screw up my brand new saiga? could it be b/c the entire action is basically bone dry from me wiping it all down while i was polishing? sorry for noob question its just got me worried i screwed up polishing it but every gun ive owned ive polished the internals and its never made it QUIT WORKING! any ideas of help would be much appreciated.

yeah thats the obvious answer which i should have tried b4 posting this honestly but i just thought these guns would function with little to no lubrication. i didnt think the lack of a little oil could cause it to fail to extract every single round fired! but then again i know nothing of this platform yet.

yeah thats the obvious answer which i should have tried b4 posting this honestly but i just thought these guns would function with little to no lubrication. i didnt think the lack of a little oil could cause it to fail to extract every single round fired! but then again i know nothing of this platform yet.

Dis-assemble and re-assemble it to make sure you have everything put together correctly. Another forum member was having FTE issues and his main-spring was out of place and the bolt was getting hung up on it...

Make sure you are on "2" for low brass.

Sometimes backing out the gas plug another turn will fix it.

If it's set on "2" back it around until it's on "2" again.

It's also possible that you dislodged a metal shaving and now it's someplace it shouldn't be.

Rest assured it's not broken from what you did.

It's going to be something very minor.

• Like 2

thanks for the replies guys, its too late to try again tonight but i will 2morrow. im hoping is was the lack of lube, she feels much slicker now. i know its still got a ways to go befor its "broken in" as far as that not being enough of a reliability test Id say 11 out of 11 FTE's is plenty to know something wrong, dont need to shoot a whole box of FTE's befor i can definatively say it aint workin.

Did the bolt move at all after pulling the trigger? I ask because another member didn't re install the gas puck after cleaning the gun and complained of FTE's every round.

The platform is very rugged and I'm certain you'll quickly discover and resolve the problem. Then you'll give yourself a big 'ol Homer Simpson, "doh!"

as far as that not being enough of a reliability test Id say 11 out of 11 FTE's is plenty to know something wrong, dont need to shoot a whole box of FTE's befor i can definatively say it aint workin.

I meant before you polished. :mellow:

I've seen too many guns with undersized ports to make an assessment until at least 100 rounds of differing powers have gone through them. (of course while using the Russian mags for baseline testing)

Are you using the same mag that you were successful with the first time? Have you added a buttpad?

Pics of said carrier and bolt showing polished areas would be beneficial.

Also be sure you are holding the gun tight against your shoulder (and do try unscrewing the gas plug a full turn). If you don't hold it tight enough, and the recoil lets the gun move backwards, that is counter productive to the action. This isn't as important with some guns, but definitely is with others.

You didn't mess anything up with only slight polishing, don't worry. If it's assembled correctly, and is getting enough gas, it should run with or without lube, but lube helps it run better.

Dis-assemble and re-assemble it to make sure you have everything put together correctly. Another forum member was having FTE issues and his main-spring was out of place and the bolt was getting hung up on it...

I'm having this problem, major FTE problems after my conversion. I guess I need to check the main spring and reference some pictures.

I'm having this problem, major FTE problems after my conversion. I guess I need to check the main spring and reference some pictures.

If it ran good before converting, it's probably the new hammer causing your problems.

If it ran good before converting, it's probably the new hammer causing your problems.

I'm thinking this may be contributing to my issues as well. I'll pull the hammer and contour to match the original....

You might try just swapping the hammer with your original first, just to see. (assuming you still have enough compliance parts that is...)

Be careful trying to "match the original profile". Thje G-2 is different and may not catch your disconnect if you flatten the face like the original hammer. Don't take it down any less than .40" thick at the point where it hits the firing pin striker. You also need to be sure it hits pretty square on the back of the bolt and firing pin striker.

when i first fired my gun it ran a box of low brass fine with agp 10 rounder. did conversion left original hammer in, went back to range wouldn't eject same ammo not even once checked gas ports, only had 2 ports that i couldn't even see. have no clue how it worked the first time but it did. got warranty work done.

ok so i lubed it good and still every single round it FTE's!! yes with factory mag, same one i used befor. i can see all three gas ports just fine they dont seem do be blocked. i wasnt polishing to improve function i just polished o smooth out the action and help with inserting a loaded mag. i will try to post pics in a second. i mean im completely stumped never heard of polishing the action causing reliability issues. and ive tried ever diffrent shooting shooting position even jamming the stock in my hip and holding to tight so as to keeping the guns motion from working against the gas system.

grind the tapco hammer to match the origanal, also there are two hooks on the bold one is fixed the other is spring loaded the fixed one is what is holding the empty shell I polished the take off a little metal.should work better

just tried shooting again and its like its not getting enough power to cycle the carrier fully rearward. i dont get it but im really upset!! im thinking over opening up the gas ports,

Starting to sound like it's the ammo you are using.

Low power rounds give low power results.

You're not by chance using "reduced recoil" rounds are you? My stock gun wouldn't shoot that reliably until I had some work done to mine.

Edit: Shoot some high brass/magnum loads and see if we can eliminate the ammo issue.

Edited by ErikTaylor

yeah ive shot some 00 buck through it with no problems really, but the first few rounds of low brass functioned fine. b4 i started polishing on it. im thinking maybe it needs to "broke in" with some more high brass. im just worried cuase it cycled fine out the box. im gonna try and post some pics of the bolt and carrier. heres the bolt

100_0220.jpg

the carrier

100_0211.jpg

what i was mainly worried about was that channel in the carrier that the bolt rotates in, i polished and smoothed the corners a little bit.

and heres a picture of my gas ports they appear good to me, the one on the right might could stand a little more clearance but its the angle that makes it look worse i deff. wouldnt say there obstructed. just to clarify though i need to shoot alot of high brass ammo through this thing befor i start messing with the gas system right? im not used to buying a gun and having to breake it in just to function properly with ammo its suppose to funcution with.

i hope the picures work, sorry if not.

100_0225.jpg

Double check the piston... (it's there and clean)

Double check the position of the gas plug... (the numbers might not line up so mark where the open area is and double check the position.)

Check the piston rod for bends... (tapco?)

Check the recoil spring and dust shield for damage and binding...

Check for abrasive crap from your polishing in any grooves or notches, like the locking lug pockets....

Past that, nothing else has changed, right? You didn't pull out the trigger group since it last ran fine?

Edited by Heath_h49008

There have been a few cases of the retaining pin in the bolt (secures the head of the bolt) walking out of it's hole when the gun cycles and causing drag. Make sure that pin is not loose to where it can just fall out, some of them are.

Easiest way to fix that is to rough up the end of the pin (vise grips work well) and then it won't wander out so easy.

guys im lost, the action feels smooth to me, smoother than when i took it out of the box. it feels kinda chunky when its pulled fully rearward but its not that bad. i swear im starting to question whether i left something out of the gas system but theres nothing to it but the screw in plug and the piston/puck right? and of course the piston on the bolt carrier which i have not touched. im going to hose it down with some WD-40 to make sure its clean in there and try again in a little while. the FCG is all stock, except i have smoothed down the hammer a little (maybe 1/8") i afraid of taking it too far. the only thing i can feel in the action is right when the bolt releases of course and when the carrier rides over the hammer and then to get it fully rearward where the bolt rides over the hammer it takes a little extra pull and the rear most recoil spring is sort of wrinkled up for lack of a better term. even when the action is closed the spring isnt totally straight. i dont know if thats normal or not b/c ive never messed with a saiga or an AK. only SK's and AR's. anyway thank you so much to everyone who have tried to help me with this extremly frustrating issue.

**i checked the retaining pin in the bolt it slid in maybe a 16th or so just a tiny bit doubt that has been the issue but who knows? i wish it would be that simple. will test in a couple hours.

**yeah dont think its the hammer spring leg either, i cant see anything that would bind or hinder the action

Edited by big-J