CCW prints. I don't think I care.

I have been seriously considering one of the new .380's that are making their way to market

as a more concealable CCW for the summer time.

I love and trust my G27 and have been reluctant to step down to a smaller caliber.

The other day I was out at a local store and ran into an old friend from college.

As she threw her arms around me, her hand brushed against the grip of my G27.

She looks down and says "Oh, what's that your cell phone?"

I just smiled and nodded and proceeded to start the small talk. I was wearing a t-shirt at the time.

When we parted company I got to thinking that I'll bet most people think the same thing.

With all the cell phones, Blackberries and Ipods hanging on peoples belts I would bet the the average citizen doesn't think gun

when they see a small bulge in a shirt.

Might just save the money for something else on the wish list.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Printing is when you can see the outline of the weapon against your shirt not when a person brushes up against you or hugs you and feels the weapon...

I carry a Colt 45 compact and sometimes it prints the weapon, so I change my shirt to something that is not as snug....

The pics below show the difference, 1st not printing, 2nd printing....

post-12142-094965200 1282232845_thumb.jpg

post-12142-033772800 1282232915_thumb.jpg

Printing is when you can see the outline of the weapon against your shirt not when a person brushes up against you or hugs you and feels the weapon...

Yeah. I realize that.

My point was the conclusion most people come to when seeing that tell tale lump in your shirt.

It was simply illustrated to me by the events listed in my OP.

What do you guys think?

What holster are you using now for the G27?

I think you're right, the average person probably doesn't assume "gun" when they see something making a small bump under someone's shirt. Other gun owners might notice, though. (My buddy always notices people who you can easily tell are concealed-carrying, but I never notice, unless I'm actively looking after a comment is made)

I plan on getting the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for my G19/G23. Rave reviews and if you look on YouTube, you can see plenty of vids on well it conceals in various shirts (tee-shirts, dress shirts, etc). There's even a video of woman using that holster to carry a Ruger LCP (or maybe it was an LCR) and even with her tight fitting shirts, it conceals very well.

What do you guys think?

I think you're right, the average person probably doesn't assume "gun" when they see something making a small bump under someone's shirt. Other gun owners might notice, though. (My buddy always notices people who you can easily tell are concealed-carrying, but I never notice, unless I'm actively looking after a comment is made)

I plan on getting the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for my G19/G23. Rave reviews and if you look on YouTube, you can see plenty of vids on well it conceals in various shirts (tee-shirts, dress shirts, etc). There's even a video of woman using that holster to carry a Ruger LCP (or maybe it was an LCR) and even with her tight fitting shirts, it conceals very well.

I use that very one for my 19, it's pretty comfy and not even people who also carry have noticed it. And it was an LCR :P Personally I think the LCRs are ugly looking, and they just feel way too light. It's almost like holding a plastic toy gun, just feels cheap.

Most people in my generation (mid 20s) arn't that observant to why there is a bulge on my belt line. If they do pick up on it I say its my leatherman, most people that is sufficient enough. The guys/gals that are into guns know that I carry though and I'm pretty sure they know the truth.

Most people who are not "switched on", carrying, or LEO won't take much notice to a buldge let alone a print from a handgun. Most shitheads off the street are not going to assess the situation for CCW civilians. They usually act spontaneous, sometimes violent. If you are carrying legit, don't sweat it. Here in the gunshine state, lots of people carry. If I see a print or flash of a holster or handgun, I make a mental note so I know "Joe Dirt" in automotive at Wallyworld is packing. If I see him again, I know potential threat or additional set of sights on a threat. My buds that carry do the same, look for bulges, prints, etc. Kind of a mindset thing. LEO feel free to add your inputs.

The funny thing is it's not something I ever even think about. My gun makes an obvious bulge but I just don't care. Let them all think what they want. Its not something I look for or care about with other people either. I've had people ask me, usually people I know, and I tell them it's a gun. No big deal to me or them.

It's called "Situational Awareness" and can save you and others from harms way. Pretty sad you don't look for it or have a sense of what's going on around you. That said, even if you don't see a print from a handgun doesn't mean don't pay attention to those who act peculiar. Your CCW does you absolutely no good if you are not in a mindset to be able to identify those things and be prepared to "break leather" if needed to protect yourself and others. Strutting around packing a pistol and kind of bragging about it amongst your friends doesn't mean anything but that you are not a convicted felon and can afford a pistol.

Desantis Cozy Partner. I like it because it completely covers the TG. Which I feel is important on a Glock.

I may have to look into the Crossbreed.

+1 on making sure the trigger guard is covered when carrying a Glock with one in the pipe (which I think any carry gun without one in the pipe is simply an expensive chunk of metal/polymer on your belt).

EDIT: Here's that video I was talking about (and you're right Vai, it was an LCR):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCQ0NHX0RTo

(....it's even better, because her body is easy on the eyes :ph34r: )

Edited by -Shooter-

It's called "Situational Awareness" and can save you and others from harms way. Pretty sad you don't look for it or have a sense of what's going on around you. That said, even if you don't see a print from a handgun doesn't mean don't pay attention to those who act peculiar. Your CCW does you absolutely no good if you are not in a mindset to be able to identify those things and be prepared to "break leather" if needed to protect yourself and others. Strutting around packing a pistol and kind of bragging about it amongst your friends doesn't mean anything but that you are not a convicted felon and can afford a pistol.

Yeah well. you're just reading a bunch of nonsense into what I actually said. You fluffed it up into your own story with your own interpretation. I'm not talking about walking down dark alleys here, pal. I'm talking about going about my daily life. Maybe you live in a combat zone but I don't. And don't lecture me. I don't how old you are but there's a good chance I was packing heat when you were shitting little yellow marbles, bitch. Answering somebody's question and not feeling compelled to lie about what I'm carrying is a whole lot different than "strutting around" and "bragging" about it. The problem you have with grossly misquoting someone on a forum is that what I really said is there for everyone to see. I suggestion you invest some time in your reading comprehension skills.

DogMan, you stated you didn't look for possible concealed weapons and that you didn't care if someone noticed yours. You are telling me you carry but do not assess your environment for possible threats? What are you planning on doing, wait until a threat is in your face, then try to dig out yours? Why fucking carry if you are not mentally prepared? Here's a true story to help get my point across. A friend of mine who carries a G19 daily was in a fast food joint one night and noticed a dude in a tank top printing a small semi auto. It was late and not very many customers and this Guy decides to brandish a. 380 to rob the joint. As the seconds went by, the guy got nervous and agitated and started randomly and wildly pointing it around at everyone. My friend who had already spotted said weapon and prepared himself mentally, carefully exposed his weapon and kept his body between it and the guys line of sight. He acquired my buddy in his sights and decided to squeeze off three rounds during which my buddy drew and put a controlled pair in the perp's chest killing him. During the exchange, my friend received a non life threatening wound. Cops said it was a justified shoot and the guy turned out to be a convicted felon.

Moral of the story? Not everyone packing is doing it legally and you and your non observant ways DogMan would have died on the floor there with the spilled French fries.

You think you are so experienced in the ways of carrying a pistol and want to call me out on my age? I probably have pistols I bought new that are older than you, you ignorant fuck. Maybe if you had some training and experience, you'd be aware of the mindset. Grow up!

Yeah. I realize that.

My point was the conclusion most people come to when seeing that tell tale lump in your shirt.

It was simply illustrated to me by the events listed in my OP.

Just curious: Is this why you titled it CCW prints?? Looks like others misinterpreted your title as well, no big deal. I had one of my customers drop his laptop off, we meet at a Lowe's, he was happy that I could get to it when I did, he tapped me on the side where my weapon was saying goodbye and had a blank stare on his face, I looked at him and said "Yes it is", he then said "I thought so" no worries...

I do not keep staring at people to see if they are carrying or not, I do not care, the only time I go into a defensive mode is when I actually see a weapon in someones hand, I do stay alert especially these days, but do not become paranoid or go overboard like some here....

Edited by 308saiga
  • Like 1

ding ding......Take it to the fight club, we don't care about your dick measuring contest gents.....Or better yet start another thread on the importance of recognizing others CCWing (is that even a word!?)

Back to the original question.

I know I sound like a broken record, but..... Thunderwear or Smart carry with a zach holster for any Glock is great, I even wear it on the river.

This website has some crazy stuff, I may try out the undertech concealment shirt for a back up in the winter. The underwear they have is interesting to, giving you plenty of options as to where to carry.

Unless of course your giving yourself a reason to purchase another gun! :rolleyes:

Edited by YARP
  • Like 1

EDIT: Here's that video I was talking about (and you're right Vai, it was an LCR):

Hey Shooter,

I checked out that video yesterday. I'm thinking of giving that holster a try.

And yes, I would like to see more of that young lady.wub.gif

Just curious: Is this why you titled it CCW prints?? Looks like others misinterpreted your title as well, no big deal. .

Yes. I thought the title was pretty self explanatory but like you said, no big deal.

I was just trying to get a feel for the opinions of others about what John Q. Public thinks or even notices regarding that lump in your shirt.

ding ding......Take it to the fight club, we don't care about your dick measuring contest gents.....Or better yet start another thread on the importance of recognizing others CCWing (is that even a word!?)

Back to the original question.

I know I sound like a broken record, but..... Thunderwear or Smart carry with a zach holster for any Glock is great, I even wear it on the river.

This website has some crazy stuff, I may try out the undertech concealment shirt for a back up in the winter. The underwear they have is interesting to, giving you plenty of options as to where to carry.

Unless of course your giving yourself a reason to purchase another gun! :rolleyes:

Thanks Yarp. I am trying to have a civil discussion hear. I appreciate the support.

I checked out the Thunderwear and Smart Carry stuff. I carry strong side so the idea of a loaded gun pointing at my dick or Femoral Artery is not that appealing to me. Though it does look very concealable.

I appreciate the input.

Hey Shooter,

I checked out that video yesterday. I'm thinking of giving that holster a try.

And yes, I would like to see more of that young lady.wub.gif

Let me know what you think about it, if you do. I've still yet to put my order in, as I don't think I'll be getting my CWP as soon as I'd hoped. But when I do, I'll be going with the horsehide option. Supposed to be great for hot/humid areas and be able to deal with sweat pretty good.

DaveM-I've been using the thunderwear as my DEEP concealment lately. I stitched my phone holder to a IWB holster (why no one has done this for $ is beyond me, maybe they have and I just don't know) and that works ok but you really can't beat the Glock clip and a zach holster.

LOL! just read my last post and realized I NEVER GAVE YOU THE LINK!

http://masterofconcealment.com/

Edited by YARP

DaveM-I've been using the thunderwear as my DEEP concealment lately. I stitched my phone holder to a IWB holster (why no one has done this for $ is beyond me, maybe they have and I just don't know) and that works ok but you really can't beat the Glock clip and a zach holster.

Thanks for the link YARP. Looks like a nice site with some great products.

I like my Desantis, Although I have four holsters for this one gun now.010.gif

I have plus one bases on all my mags for the G27 so that adds a little to the bulge also.

I guess a little bulge in your pants isn't such a bad thing. Especially at my age.021.gif

Have you smelled your thunder pants lately??? LOL, I had one and had to wash it every 2-3 days and it deteriorated within 10 months.....

As far as adapt your cell holster to it, they do make something like that, except the holster that your pistol goes in is made out of leather.....

DogMan, you stated you didn't look for possible concealed weapons and that you didn't care if someone noticed yours. You are telling me you carry but do not assess your environment for possible threats? What are you planning on doing, wait until a threat is in your face, then try to dig out yours? Why fucking carry if you are not mentally prepared? Here's a true story to help get my point across. A friend of mine who carries a G19 daily was in a fast food joint one night and noticed a dude in a tank top printing a small semi auto. It was late and not very many customers and this Guy decides to brandish a. 380 to rob the joint. As the seconds went by, the guy got nervous and agitated and started randomly and wildly pointing it around at everyone. My friend who had already spotted said weapon and prepared himself mentally, carefully exposed his weapon and kept his body between it and the guys line of sight. He acquired my buddy in his sights and decided to squeeze off three rounds during which my buddy drew and put a controlled pair in the perp's chest killing him. During the exchange, my friend received a non life threatening wound. Cops said it was a justified shoot and the guy turned out to be a convicted felon.

Moral of the story? Not everyone packing is doing it legally and you and your non observant ways DogMan would have died on the floor there with the spilled French fries.

You think you are so experienced in the ways of carrying a pistol and want to call me out on my age? I probably have pistols I bought new that are older than you, you ignorant fuck. Maybe if you had some training and experience, you'd be aware of the mindset. Grow up!

I said what I have to say. Your response was entirely predictable. Go pound sand.

Edited by DogMan

I agree, I considered switching to a smaller "pocket pistol", but decided if I want another gun to GET one, not make reasons to get one. Like you, I have a pistol (1911), that I love and trust my life to, and don't want to replace it because of printing, showing, or other issues. I'm lucky where I live (MI) because open carry is legal, so if it pops out, I'm good. I work at a place where I'm in pretty close contact with people and I've gone 2 hours next to a group of 4 or 5 people with a miami classic shoulder rig carrying my full-size 1911 before anyone even noticed.

Usually it's family "finding" (bumping into) my pistol, from hugging or whatnot, and I TOO have noticed that it seems like Jane and John Q. will usually assume it's some type of electronic device if the bottom pops out from under a shirt... no big deal... So I suppose my advice is (it's worth anything) use what you like, and if you want another gun, get one, but don't force yourself to get a new carry gun because you think it'll hide better.

• Like 2

I agree, I considered switching to a smaller "pocket pistol", but decided if I want another gun to GET one, not make reasons to get one. Like you, I have a pistol (1911), that I love and trust my life to, and don't want to replace it because of printing, showing, or other issues. I'm lucky where I live (MI) because open carry is legal, so if it pops out, I'm good. I work at a place where I'm in pretty close contact with people and I've gone 2 hours next to a group of 4 or 5 people with a miami classic shoulder rig carrying my full-size 1911 before anyone even noticed.

Usually it's family "finding" (bumping into) my pistol, from hugging or whatnot, and I TOO have noticed that it seems like Jane and John Q. will usually assume it's some type of electronic device if the bottom pops out from under a shirt... no big deal... So I suppose my advice is (it's worth anything) use what you like, and if you want another gun, get one, but don't force yourself to get a new carry gun because you think it'll hide better.

One of the best responses so far and spot on topic.

Thank you for that!

I'm 6' tall and about 150lbs. and I carry my G19/G32 in a high ride yaki style holster with no problems. Though I do pretty much exclusively wear button up plaid shirts that are one size too big. The plaid pattern helps to hide the printing.

I carry a Kahr CW9 in a nylon IWB holster (from a small TX company called WRB) that rides at 2 o'clock. I also carry a double mag holder on my belt in back. Generally I can carry without printing since I wear shirts that look good untucked. I'm stocky with a short torso, so I can't wear a basic t-shirt without printing. Slightly oversized shirts are the ticket.

Made the mistake of wearing a light-colored striped knit shirt when the wife and I went out for dinner last night. As we sat at our table, I got the uneasy feeling that I may have been printing, because our server and the restaurant manager kept showing our table an inordinate amount of attention. I hope it was just really thorough service, but I won't wear that shirt again when carrying.

With all that said, "dress around your carry piece" is sage advice.

Edited by Kevin in Texas
  • 4 weeks later...

When I decided to start carrying, I decided that I was going to get one of the new, small pocket pistols. I snagged a Ruger LCP and a Size 2 Uncle Mike's Holster. The thing fits easily into my pants pocket. The holster changes the print pattern and the size makes people assume its a wallet. I keep it in the same pocket as my keys. I can carry this thing in a bathing suit and not get made. If someone demands my wallet or keys, I can go for the gun without being suspicious. Being in a hot place, I can wear what I like and carry a weapon that is both well hidden and easily accessable at the same time. I have no complaints about the manner of carrying or the weapon itself.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't keep carrying a full size, duty pistol, since there are benefits to it, just that there are benefits of carrying a small peice. I do also live in a warm state that doesn't allow open carry, so printing is a bad thing, so I don't think I'll go that route personally.

Originally carried Bulgy Makarov .380 at 5 oclock... and just kept practicing my 'draw'.. then I got the heavy G30 Glock and that rode IWB at 1-2 oclock in a simple nylon Side-Kick holster.. I have the fancy Bladetech and Fobus's.. I basically have a small pile in a bag in the closet.. I have the undershirt and the thunderwear (in denim) here also somewhere..

The Side-Kick works for me.. 185 and 5' 8"..

Got to remember in certain states/towns printing can cause issues with LEO's being called by 'soccer-moms'.. nothing like being frisked at Walmart... then fixing your PRINT...

If carryiing you SHOULD be AWARE of your surroundings also.. I used to count heads going into certain places.. and check for mirrors and backdoors.. :blues:.. nothing better then PRINTING and getting COLD COCKED from behind while sitting..

My 0.02

Al