I recently found a Yugo AK at a decent price for around $600, which is good for NY. But when I did a function test at the local shop the bolt would hang sometimes when hand cycled. It would hang somewhere near the FCG which worried me a bit. I was then assured by the store owner that it was due to cosmoline in the receiver and that it would function flawlessly once cleaned. So I proceeded to disassemble the rifle and there was indeed quite a bit of cosmoline inside of it. I doubt the owner would put a defective rifle up for sale but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this kind of problem with other yugo AKs. Otherwise the barrel looks to be in decent shape and the rest of the rifle is in fairly good condition. I would just like some input before I purchase it, in case it is a common problem with century YUGO AKs. Also due to it being in NY the underfolder was welded in the open position and the folding mechanism pinned :ded:. AH I love NY :lolol: .

Edited by XXasdf

I recently found a Yugo AK at a decent price for around $600, which is good for NY. But when I did a function test at the local shop the bolt would hang sometimes when hand cycled. It would hang somewhere near the FCG which worried me a bit. I was then assured by the store owner that it was due to cosmoline in the receiver and that it would function flawlessly once cleaned.

He's pulling your leg.

All new AKs hang up as described.

It's the brand new FCG in them that does it.

Cleaning won't fix it.

There's only two things that will:

1) Shooting it. Several hundred rounds down range will break in the FCG.

2) Running it like a man. So many of these "it hangs up!" problems are due to folks babying their AKs. Pull the charging handle all the way to the rear and let it fly!

• Like 6

chinese or not it is still the best ak i have ever owned and the only one that didnt rattle...

You only think that because you don't own a Russian, (or at least Bulgarian), 7.62x39. ;)

Anyway, just fuckin wit ya. :D

The fact does remain that I am not a fan of anything Chinese; except their wind-up drums, they did actually come up with those instead of merely copying others' designs.

I don't like their rifles though. MAK 90 bolts are the only AK bolts I've ever heard of that sometimes fracture after moderate use.

ymmv.

chinese or not it is still the best ak i have ever owned and the only one that didnt rattle...

You only think that because you don't own a Russian, (or at least Bulgarian), 7.62x39. ;)

Anyway, just fuckin wit ya. :D

The fact does remain that I am not a fan of anything Chinese; except their wind-up drums, they did actually come up with those instead of merely copying others' designs.

I don't like their rifles though. MAK 90 bolts are the only AK bolts I've ever heard of that sometimes fracture after moderate use.

ymmv.

Chinese flat-back steel mags are the best steel mags out there (Still ((10)) Poly is king). I am sure there are other good, well made Chinese products out there....

• 4 months later...

My AMD does rattle at all... but I think all AKs hang up. My AMDs bolt will actually stay fully open if I pull it back and ride it slowly forward. Seems more like a feature really. It works in my favor, has a very smooth action, and hasn't ever malfunctioned that I remember. An AK bolt carry doesn't have a single smooth movement compared to like a 10/22 or even an AR.

As others said, the occasional bolt hang is fairly common. Thorough cleaning and lots of shooting will fix you right up. The inherent qualities of the Yugo builds far outweigh that issue.

Is this the Yugo with the "bulged" RPK recvr - the bulges at the barrel trunnion? If so, they are not as common as they once were.

Now they are often seen with the slick-side recvrs, which are still correct for a Yugo.

As others said, the occasional bolt hang is fairly common. Thorough cleaning and lots of shooting will fix you right up. The inherent qualities of the Yugo builds far outweigh that issue.

Is this the Yugo with the "bulged" RPK recvr - the bulges at the barrel trunnion? If so, they are not as common as they once were.

Now they are often seen with the slick-side recvrs, which are still correct for a Yugo.

Yea I ended up picking up the rifle, worked fine after a through clean. It has the bulged RPK reciever, stuck an ultimak + PA micro on it and the rifle has performed flawlessly after the initial break in.