Weld on saiga ak 74 muzzle brake

I'm converting a new saiga .223 and i really want to put an ak 74 style brake on,but the cutting and threading of the front sight block looks like way to much work. but i saw over on http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_12&products_id=16, for Saiga a slip on over the front sight block and weld ak 74 brake, anyone had any experience with these?

Edited by Joebanks

Well I am going to order one and when i do ill post pictures and a review, i've looked around and i've never seen anyone who has done this so that makes me leary to take the path less traveled, but a gunsmith is going to charge me 85$ to thread the barrel, and if i do it myself i'll end up paying 50$ for renting a dye and if i Screw up cutting the fornt sleve and cut into my barrel i'll really be sick, so guess i'll be the first

• 2 weeks later...

Ak 74 weld on muzzle brake was in my humble opinon very sucessful, 25$ + 8$ of autozone thermosteel muffler repair epoxy and this would appear to be on their good and tight. All in all very good way to get a brake on a saiga, took about 20 mins and it's so easy a goverment worker could do it.

post-23590-074350200 1283394608_thumb.jpg

Got any pics of the FSB where the 'seal/weld epoxy' is ??

Interesting idea..

I guess you basically checked the fit/centered.. and then just epoxied it on??

Yeah but that didn't hold i'll repost it later now that it looks more weld on style with black epoxy visible around the base of the comp but this time i'm hoping it will hold, if not ill have to truely weld it on, still looks great

And yeah i did also smear it inside in front sight post/comp

Edited by Joebanks

Got any pics of the FSB where the 'seal/weld epoxy' is ??

Interesting idea..

I guess you basically checked the fit/centered.. and then just epoxied it on??

Yeah but that didn't hold i'll repost it later now that it looks more weld on style with black epoxy visible around the base of the comp but this time i'm hoping it will hold, if not ill have to truely weld it on, still looks great

And yeah i did also smear it inside in front sight post/comp

THIS WAS INTENDED TO BE AN EDIT TO THE ABOVE POST

Edited by Joebanks
  • 2 weeks later...

Drill and tap two 8/32 set screw through the flash hider and drill a slightly larger hole about 3/32" deep into the shroud for the set screw to engage. The 50,000 PSI of muzzle blast will will make an epoxied FH launch like a grenade! Trust me. I learned the hard way 2 years ago with an M16 FH with just set screws in shallow dimples. It worked after I used longer set screws and indented them into the barrel deeper.