Had to crack off a couple to scare some idiots away

So I'm sitting outside tonight, just before dusk, watching a nice 10-point buck and his 6 does in a nearby field when this Chevy truck comes flying down the hill and stops at the intersection just in front of my house. He sits there for a few seconds and then a 4-wheeler with two people on it comes down the same hill, turns at the intersection and takes off up toward my neighbor's house who has a horse. The driver in the truck slams the gas, throwing dirt and rocks all the way around the corner and heads the same direction. Let me back up and say that I live in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road intersection on top of a mountain. I have 2 neighbors; the one with the horse who lives about 500 yards above me, and one over on the other side of the intersection about 300 yards from me. Anyway, I just shook my head and though, "idiots".

I went back to my spotting scope when I smelled something that smelled like sulfur. I sniffed the air for a few seconds, then decided that I'd better grab the x39 and take a walk. I topped up the mag and headed up the road. I saw my neighbor, a not-quite-middle aged woman, standing by her horse. When she saw me with the x39, she said, "thank God you got my back!" I walked up to her and she had a spent smoke bomb in her hand. She said that the guys on the 4-wheeler threw it at her horse. Well that pissed me off because she's spent a long time getting this horse used to people. The horse will now trust people and walk up to her fence and meet anyone who stops by, and these idiots on the 4-wheeler did that to her. :anger: I love animals, and that just torques me to no end. I told her that I'd keep my eyes and ears open, and just as we were talking, I could hear the 4-wheeler coming back down the road. She said, "Let me get my 4-wheeler and I'll head them off". As she was going to her garage to get it, the two idiots came down the road to her upper driveway. I stepped out into the road, and they seen me and stopped about 50 yards from me. I looked at them for a second, chambered a round, and fired it into the ditch to my right just to let them know that it wasn't an Airsoft gun I had in my hands. NOTE: I NEVER FIRED IN THEIR DIRECTION! I ONLY FIRED FOR EFFECT. They immediately threw it into reverse and whipped it around. I fired off 2 more shots into the ditch, but they couldn't see where I was firing. As I got my second shot off, Kat (my neighbor) came thundering down her upper driveway and nearly collided into the two on their ATV. They took off back up the hill and Kat was in hot pursuit, but theirs was much more powerful and they outdistanced her pretty quick. She came back a couple minutes later and couldn't thank me enough for coming up. We stood there and talked a little, and come to find out, there have been a few camp break-ins around here lately and some graffiti damage done.

We stood and talked until it got dark, and I never heard any other vehicles, so I think I sufficiently scared them off. I did, however, come back in and got the S12 out of storage and put some 00 Buck in her. I don't think I'll have any trouble, tho.

• Like 10

So I'm sitting outside tonight, just before dusk, watching a nice 10-point buck and his 6 does in a nearby field when this Chevy truck comes flying down the hill and stops at the intersection just in front of my house. He sits there for a few seconds and then a 4-wheeler with two people on it comes down the same hill, turns at the intersection and takes off up toward my neighbor's house who has a horse. The driver in the truck slams the gas, throwing dirt and rocks all the way around the corner and heads the same direction. Let me back up and say that I live in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road intersection on top of a mountain. I have 2 neighbors; the one with the horse who lives about 500 yards above me, and one over on the other side of the intersection about 300 yards from me. Anyway, I just shook my head and though, "idiots".

I went back to my spotting scope when I smelled something that smelled like sulfur. I sniffed the air for a few seconds, then decided that I'd better grab the x39 and take a walk. I topped up the mag and headed up the road. I saw my neighbor, a not-quite-middle aged woman, standing by her horse. When she saw me with the x39, she said, "thank God you got my back!" I walked up to her and she had a spent smoke bomb in her hand. She said that the guys on the 4-wheeler threw it at her horse. Well that pissed me off because she's spent a long time getting this horse used to people. The horse will now trust people and walk up to her fence and meet anyone who stops by, and these idiots on the 4-wheeler did that to her. :anger: I love animals, and that just torques me to no end. I told her that I'd keep my eyes and ears open, and just as we were talking, I could hear the 4-wheeler coming back down the road. She said, "Let me get my 4-wheeler and I'll head them off". As she was going to her garage to get it, the two idiots came down the road to her upper driveway. I stepped out into the road, and they seen me and stopped about 50 yards from me. I looked at them for a second, chambered a round, and fired it into the ditch to my right just to let them know that it wasn't an Airsoft gun I had in my hands. NOTE: I NEVER FIRED IN THEIR DIRECTION! I ONLY FIRED FOR EFFECT. They immediately threw it into reverse and whipped it around. I fired off 2 more shots into the ditch, but they couldn't see where I was firing. As I got my second shot off, Kat (my neighbor) came thundering down her upper driveway and nearly collided into the two on their ATV. They took off back up the hill and Kat was in hot pursuit, but theirs was much more powerful and they outdistanced her pretty quick. She came back a couple minutes later and couldn't thank me enough for coming up. We stood there and talked a little, and come to find out, there have been a few camp break-ins around here lately and some graffiti damage done.

We stood and talked until it got dark, and I never heard any other vehicles, so I think I sufficiently scared them off. I did, however, come back in and got the S12 out of storage and put some 00 Buck in her. I don't think I'll have any trouble, tho.

Great story! :super:

Edited by bigsal

Since they like to dick around with fireworks..........next time they come around, stick a 1/4-stick up their ass and light it. :devil::lolol:

Props for keeping an eye out for your neighbor. Here's to hoping it was just dumb kids who have now learned their lesson, and not someone who will feel the need to come back to make a point. Stay alert and stay safe.

Props for keeping an eye out for your neighbor. Here's to hoping it was just dumb kids who have now learned their lesson, and not someone who will feel the need to come back to make a point. Stay alert and stay safe.

You know it, brother. There's about 10 cars a day that travel thru here, so it's pretty easy to hear something coming. We have motion lights around the property, too, so they'll light 'em up if they come near this house. Kat has a boxer who will alert her if there is anyone on her property, too.

Out here in the country, we got each other's backs. :smoke:

• Like 1

You know it, brother. There's about 10 cars a day that travel thru here, so it's pretty easy to hear something coming. We have motion lights around the property, too, so they'll light 'em up if they come near this house. Kat has a boxer who will alert her if there is anyone on her property, too.

Out here in the country, we got each other's backs. :smoke:

Glad to hear it. :super:

(While I'm fairly sure I'm not cut-out for full-time life in the country.....I still dream of owning land in the boonies. Walking outside and popping off rounds whenever you want sounds like heaven)

They're local. If your type of country was like mine, you probably know who these people are, or can figure it out pretty easily. The quad didn't travel over a few miles and the truck would be identifiable, right?

You're absolutely right. As a matter of fact, before all this happened, I was down in town getting some gas in the Jeep, and that very truck was two pumps over. I don't know why, but I paid attention to it and it's driver. The kid looked like a guy that I graduated with, that's why I was giving it more than a second's worth of a glance. When it came over the hill and went up towards my neighbor's, I thought, "That's the truck that was getting gas when I was". I know I'll see it again, and I believe I know where the guy lives.

Glad everything worked out.

You should send a message that you know where the kid lives. It would eliminate any illusions of anonymity & temptation for the kids to ever come back in an attempt to "save face".

With my luck, my ass would land in jail & the cops would take my gun if I ever did like you did. <_<

(even if I lived in a rural area where it's okay to shoot.)

• Like 1

Glad everything worked out.

You should send a message that you know where the kid lives. It would eliminate any illusions of anonymity & temptation for the kids to ever come back in an attempt to "save face".

With my luck, my ass would land in jail & the cops would take my gun if I ever did like you did. <_<

(even if I lived in a rural area where it's okay to shoot.)

We're so far out in 'the sticks' that this is how people take care of unwanted people on their land or messing around with their property, anyway. The kids were lucky that I'm not like some of the people around here... they'd have been buried in the woods somewhere.

I'm fairly sure that they won't be back to 'save face', because I don't think they'd risk seeing me a second time with AK in hand. I know for a fact that I'll see that truck again, at least. I know that when I am at one of my good friend's house, that truck drives by there at least 4 times. I'll be able to send a real clear message next time I see it that I know who he is and where he lives and for him and his friends to NOT come back around here again.

word of advice, I'd remove this thread for your legal safety...I agree with your side, but I wouldn't want to see you lose any rights over a smoke bomb. You know how lawyers and politics can spin this...but good job :ph34r:

I totally agree with Vultite and side with you but, the smoke bomb prank wouldn't get these kids much in terms of charges. Brandishing and discharging a firearm for no reason (smoke bomb) in the eyes of the law could bring you some trouble though.

Edited by MT Predator

Man I think im paranoid some times. Some of you guys crack me up. "cough cough" last couple posters. Ease up guys lol. What the chances these two douche bags would even be around these forums. :rolleyes: By now its their word against his/hers. And hey...there is always. Besides....what they gonna say...Um yessir officer, we were riding 4 wheelers illegally on the road, and throwing fire works out of season.....I heard a pop pop. I think they were shooting at me... much less the chances an investigation would end up with confiscating his computer....lol :rolleyes:

GJ TR! :super:

• Like 1

Man I think im paranoid some times. Some of you guys crack me up. "cough cough" last couple posters. Ease up guys lol. What the chances these two douche bags would even be around these forums. :rolleyes: By now its their word against his/hers. And hey...there is always. Besides....what they gonna say...Um yessir officer, we were riding 4 wheelers illegally on the road, and throwing fire works out of season.....I heard a pop pop. I think they were shooting at me... much less the chances an investigation would end up with confiscating his computer....lol :rolleyes:

Right. Just because somebody says they did something on a forum doesn't mean that it actually happened. They still have to prove it. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.

word of advice, I'd remove this thread for your legal safety (????) ...I agree with your side, but I wouldn't want to see you lose any rights over a smoke bomb (????). You know how lawyers and politics can spin this...but good job :ph34r:

I totally agree with Vultite and side with you but, the smoke bomb prank wouldn't get these kids much in terms of charges. Brandishing and discharging a firearm for no reason (smoke bomb) in the eyes of the law could bring you some trouble though.

What are you 2 talking about????

I'll quote what he said:

"thank God you got my back!" I walked up to her and she had a spent smoke bomb in her hand. She said that the guys on the 4-wheeler threw it at her horse.

So what are the legalities here??? You guys need to go back to law school.... :lolol:

All I can say is that the law around here sides with property owners in nearly every case such as this, if they are even ever called in the first place. Like I said, we live out in the "hick sticks", and you can consider yourself lucky if you leave any property without any holes in your body if you are fucking around with livestock, homestead, or persons. Not only that, but people around here are generally not "lawsuit crazy" and understand that they may just get shot at if they do something stupid like what these kids did. Besides, it'll make a great story for them to tell their grandkids someday.... LOL!!

Not to mention that if I haven't heard anything by now, I doubt I'll hear anything at all.

Oh, and the secondary roads around here are all legal for ATV use.

• Like 1

I put cat food and water around once in awhile so the wild cats can eat it and take care of the mice at the same time. Skunks were getting into it, so I called up the local cops. (I'm in legal limits of town by 100 yards or so) and asked them if it was ok if I shot a gun off.) They asked why. I said either your going to get the skunk or I am. They said go ahead.

All I can say is that the law around here sides with property owners in nearly every case such as this, if they are even ever called in the first place. Like I said, we live out in the "hick sticks", and you can consider yourself lucky if you leave any property without any holes in your body if you are fucking around with livestock, homestead, or persons. Not only that, but people around here are generally not "lawsuit crazy" and understand that they may just get shot at if they do something stupid like what these kids did. Besides, it'll make a great story for them to tell their grandkids someday.... LOL!!

Not to mention that if I haven't heard anything by now, I doubt I'll hear anything at all.

Oh, and the secondary roads around here are all legal for ATV use.

Some folks just dont get out of the city enough TR, they dont know what the freedom of the country it like. :lolol: Id call em paradoid fuckers, but then again im too paranoid to live in the city. :cryss:

I wasn't referring to removing the thread. My post had nothing to do with being paranoid whatsoever. I was simply stating from a legality point of view about brandishing and discharging said firearm. True, carrying it in the country would not be brandishing but firing shots to warn or threaten might be looked at differently depending on the law and the LEO. Sounds like where he is, the LEO would side with him.

Yeah I can see it now,

Kids: Officer officer, there was a guy who shot at us!!!

Officer: Where? When?

Kids: We where on someones private property, and we threw a smoke bomb at a persons horse!

officer: Put your hands behind your back, you are under arrest.... You have the right to remain silent, anything you say may and WILL be used against you in a court of law, you have a right to an Attorney if you can not afford an attorney *one dumb ass attorney that just got out of law school will be appointed to you....

*Just ask my cousin, who was accused of theft, arrested and charged, he received a letter from the accuser (which the DA also received) stating the person lied, had to plead out. Once released he was re-arrested (same day) on the same charges just different counties (look up "Double Jeopardy". He had to again plead out to get released wow 2 felony convictions for the same charges......

Remember 2 things guys, 1) it is a misconception the statement "you are innocent until proven guilty" and 2) If you can not afford an attorney you are screwed....