Coloring markings, lettering and numbers?

Ok, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm trying to find a kosher method for coloring the markings on my receiver. Namely I'd like to bring out the lettering in white and also I'd like to color the Safe and Fire markings too. (Is there a term for this process? :huh: ) Any suggestions or experience?

I recall an article from a long time ago that stated using a white crayon??

Thankyou

Crayons work okay. I have done it a few times and it can look pretty good. Sometimes the excess crayon will discolor the finish and this is less than satisfactory. Also, if the stamping/lettering is of an inconsistent depth, or a very narrow font, the crayon is more difficult to apply evenly.

You can either use a very narrowly sharpend crayon, and re-sharpen it frequently, or you can smear crayon liberally over the letters and wipe away the excess.

Brownells sells specific color sticks, which I have found too wide, to use. I wish I had the corrdination and steady hand so that I could actually paint the letters, but I'd get paint everywhere!

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

Crayon works great on an AR lower with deep engravings. I did it before, then after awhile, removed it all except for the Fire/Safe markings. But like WJ said, Crayon not might be the best for the shallow marks on a Saiga (assuming you're even talking about working on a Saiga). Just a heads up.....normal "red" Crayon looks pink when you do this. I'd recommend a darker red.

Others have used Testors model paint.

Either way, I'd suggest a non-permanent method at first. A lot of people (like myself) lost interest for the look after awhile.......and it was easy to remove the Crayon.

I used white china marker pencil,got it hot first, colored it in , then wiped off the excess with Gun oil...worked well on my Saiga...

then heard about wite-out, wipe it in, let it dry, and use goo-gone to remove excess....i'm gonna try that next...

Edited by icefire

White out (typo fixing white paint) works great and is easy to apply / clean up after.To mark the "F" in red you can first use the white, then once it's dry paint over it with a red Sharpie pen (permanent marker).

post-1293-093661200 1283533845_thumb.jpg post-1293-095124700 1283534353_thumb.jpg

post-1293-076672000 1283534395_thumb.jpg post-1293-057016400 1283534412_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm trying to find a kosher method for coloring the markings on my receiver. Namely I'd like to bring out the lettering in white and also I'd like to color the Safe and Fire markings too. (Is there a term for this process? huh.gif ) Any suggestions or experience?

I recall an article from a long time ago that stated using a white crayon??

Thankyou

Believe it or not I used white out to fill in the numbers on my DPH gas plug and it worked and has continued to work very well. I wiped off the excess with a damp sponge and the lettering is solid white.

• 3 months later...

I've seen crayons, white-out, etc used... but how do any of these hold up against cleaners?? I don't imagine wax crayon holding up against cleaing solvent (making it pretty much useless), and nail polish seems like it would not hold up either. What gives? Are we talking about temporary markings here or permanent? I'd be interested in permanent markings.

Edited by Brian M1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen crayons, white-out, etc used... but how do any of these hold up against cleaners?? I don't imagine wax crayon holding up against cleaing solvent (making it pretty much useless), and nail polish seems like it would not hold up either. What gives? Are we talking about temporary markings here or permanent? I'd be interested in permanent markings.

The only solvents I use on my nail polish guns are occasional bore cleaner. I usally wipe the guns exteriors down with rem oil since it seems to act as gentle cleaner and it drys fairly quick.

My Glock, Colt 6920 and my saiga-12 have held up nicely using the nail polish method. The Saiga was a little tricky to do though.

• 2 weeks later...

I used white china marker pencil,got it hot first, colored it in , then wiped off the excess with Gun oil...worked well on my Saiga...

then heard about wite-out, wipe it in, let it dry, and use goo-gone to remove excess....i'm gonna try that next...

I tried the white out for mine. It worked ok but I struggled with the depth of the lettering and the white out penitrating properly. It was a lot more work than I thought it was gonna be. As it turned out I liked the all black lettering in the end but removing it was not difficult.

• 2 weeks later...