5.56 Fireball?

This weekend I I decided to try 5.56 in my .223 Saiga. I have seen several posts on this forum and all said it was OK. I shot about 40 rounds. However, it seemed like the muzzle flash was much bigger and it was way louder then .223. The recoil seemed about the same but that could have been because I was shooting a k98 just before that.

Is it just me?

On my rifle, firing 5.56 was causing the bolt to slam into the rear trunion HARD. Easy fix though, wolf extra power spring and all was good. With the possible exception of 55 grain .223 silver bear, anything rated as 5.56 has grouped tighter than .223 on my rifle.

How could you tell that this was going on? Felt a difference in the recoil? Mine likes XM193, so I'd like to make sure I'm not having this issue.

Edited to add: I realize that linking to ar15.com might be heresy on an AK forum, but I really think the Ammo Oracle said it best concerning fireballs: http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/perf_m193loud.html Plus, the Ammo Oracle should be just as useful to Saiga .223 shooters as AR shooters.

Edited by Anthony_DuClare

On my rifle, firing 5.56 was causing the bolt to slam into the rear trunion HARD. Easy fix though, wolf extra power spring and all was good. With the possible exception of 55 grain .223 silver bear, anything rated as 5.56 has grouped tighter than .223 on my rifle.

How could you tell that this was going on? Felt a difference in the recoil? Mine likes XM193, so I'd like to make sure I'm not having this issue.

Edited to add: I realize that linking to ar15.com might be heresy on an AK forum, but I really think the Ammo Oracle said it best concerning fireballs: http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/perf_m193loud.html Plus, the Ammo Oracle should be just as useful to Saiga .223 shooters as AR shooters.

there was very much a difference in recoil. Didnt worry much, but was odd as it was much greater than any other .223 or 5.56 weapon I have used. The wolff spring fixed that right up, however. My rifle loves the xm193 stuff. Shoots very well with it.