I have a convert with a 24" Barrel. I want to cut it...help

Welcome to the forum! :beer:

So long as you're not taking it down below 18", you COULD do it yourself without the need for any ATF paperwork. I'm not sure what a gunsmith would charge to shorten your barrel, but they would/should be able to do a nice job.

I HAVE seen people use a pipe cutter to MARK the barrel, then hacksaw it and file back to the mark made by the cutter. For a shotgun, it should be pretty good, though having a professional do it with proper equipment would be my first choice.

The thing you might run into however is the current gas ports might have to be opened up a little when shortening the barrel. Otherwise, there may not be enough gas getting into the system to reliably cycle it.

Corbin

• Like 1

There's a thread on here somewhere where I posted good pics and info on this exact procedure, as I did it myself to one of my guns.

And I printed it out so I could take it to the shop and cut my 22" barrel down. Word to the wise, take a look at your gas ports now. A 24" gun has more barrel to build up pressure compared to the 19" gun.

I called lock and load before i got it and they want $125 for both...If it whre $100 i would have had them do it when i picked it up there (thats who i got it from)

that is just cutting it..not rethreading it

I assume that you live in Vegas by your name. If so there is a new gun shop on Eastern @ Serene that will cut and thread for $100 and promised a week turnaround.

Any luck with this?

yup i took it in to rifle dynamics today. he is going to cut and thread the barrel for $100. he is a great guy and I am happy to deal with him. I think i will be doing all my gunsmithing with him from now on. he checked the ports and said they all look fine and in line. he will test fire it before i get it back. now i just need a bad ass break for it :)

Lock and load was the place.... I didn't have mine done yet but they are a new business. They seemed hungry to get gunsmith work; maybe that is why they quoted me $100. What were you promised for turnaround at rifle dynamics. I tried to get RD on the phone weeks ago to no avail. RD seems to be a well known company and seem to have alot more involvement with servicing Saiga products Than L&L. Any word from RD on a price to do a shorten/thread/perm?

well lock and load i know those guys well...its henderson defence so they are well known. I just really liked RD. yes getting ahold of them is a little harder but smithing and building is what they do where as LL are retail sales. check him out. my turnaround was a week. price was $100 for the whole thing. I havent seen the work yet but he is a good guy from chatting with him and i will bring him my work from now on. I will get pics up as soon as he is done

I would ask your smith to test the functionality with cheap Federal or Estate low base ammo instead of high brass slugs and buckshot.

Mine would not work with low base without adding a port and opening all of the existing 3 gas ports.

- That is what he checks it with...the walmart federal target junk (good thing casue i have a bunch)

• 3 weeks later...

I would ask your smith to test the functionality with cheap Federal or Estate low base ammo instead of high brass slugs and buckshot.

Mine would not work with low base without adding a port and opening all of the existing 3 gas ports.

- That is what he checks it with...the walmart federal target junk (good thing casue i have a bunch)

HEre it is cut down.

post-26571-025628800 1285178625_thumb.jpg

HEre it is cut down.

post-26571-025628800%201285178625_thumb.jpg

But does it fire low-brass?

How much port work did he do if it does?

Edited by Paulyski

Or if you want the best chokes without having to thread anything else, get a choke adapter that uses standard internal thread chokes. This one uses Winchokes, Browning Invector, and a few others. Gives better results than a Polychoke and you can get rifled slug chokes as well. These are for getting greater distance and accuracy with sabot slugs, not just the standard so called "rifled" slugs.

post-1293-035284500 1285248053_thumb.jpg

post-1293-007682000 1285248085_thumb.jpg