From Guns and Ammo: "Best of the Avtomat Breed?"

This ran a few years back and concerns the Arsenal SLR-106FR, though a lot of it could probably apply to other quality AK-type rifles (including our converted Saigas), especially ones in .223/5.56. I've read gun magazines long enough to know that the reviews are almost always glowing and a bit hyperbolic at times, but I think for most of it the author was trying to be fair and accurate. One of the best parts was the author's revelation that "cheap imported lacquered steel-case .223 Rem. ammo that scares the ACOG clean off your prissy tight-chambered AR" runs perfectly in a .223 AK.

:) Looking at the pile of Tula I bought on clearance... :super::killer:

The one part that I'd definitely take exception to was his listing of weaknesses of the AK platform:

• "poorly placed controls" - OK, this can be annoying, especially if you're used to the AR-type's manual of arms. It can be overcome with training, practice, and maybe a few select upgrades.
  • "short sight radius" - That didn't stop the author from consistently knocking down 300m human silhouettes. It's not a target rifle, and it was never meant to be.
  • "hard-to-mount modern accessories" - Quad rails for AKs, including Saigas, have been available for years. So have optic rails for the receiver side mount. Put those two on an AK, and you've got just as much rock-solid rail space as a flat-top AR, in almost exactly the same places. Yes, they're sold separately from your AK, but quad rails usually don't usually come standard on an AR, either.

I think there's still some ignorance and preconceived notions going on here. But, it's really nice to see some (generally) positive mainstream coverage of the platform we like so much.

Thoughts?

I have a buddy with a freankenbuilt AR-15, Bushmaster upper 20" Hbar on a Superior Arms lower that eats lacquered cases just as well as my WASR or Saiga ever has. I guess some people do have trouble getting cheap imported ammo to reliably feed in their AR, but I guarantee most people have never even tried for fear. If a rifle won't eat ammo, it's usually a problem with the rifle, and not with the ammo whether it be imported, lacquered or anything else.

• 4 months later...

From Guns and Ammo: "Best of the Avtomat Breed?"

This ran a few years back and concerns the Arsenal SLR-106FR, though a lot of it could probably apply to other quality AK-type rifles (including our converted Saigas), especially ones in .223/5.56. I've read gun magazines long enough to know that the reviews are almost always glowing and a bit hyperbolic at times, but I think for most of it the author was trying to be fair and accurate. One of the best parts was the author's revelation that "cheap imported lacquered steel-case .223 Rem. ammo that scares the ACOG clean off your prissy tight-chambered AR" runs perfectly in a .223 AK.

:) Looking at the pile of Tula I bought on clearance... :super::killer:

The one part that I'd definitely take exception to was his listing of weaknesses of the AK platform:

• "poorly placed controls" - OK, this can be annoying, especially if you're used to the AR-type's manual of arms. It can be overcome with training, practice, and maybe a few select upgrades.
  • "short sight radius" - That didn't stop the author from consistently knocking down 300m human silhouettes. It's not a target rifle, and it was never meant to be.
  • "hard-to-mount modern accessories" - Quad rails for AKs, including Saigas, have been available for years. So have optic rails for the receiver side mount. Put those two on an AK, and you've got just as much rock-solid rail space as a flat-top AR, in almost exactly the same places. Yes, they're sold separately from your AK, but quad rails usually don't usually come standard on an AR, either.

I think there's still some ignorance and preconceived notions going on here. But, it's really nice to see some (generally) positive mainstream coverage of the platform we like so much.

Thoughts?

I have a newbie question....

Are their "conversions" for the Saiga other than the magazine? What doe it entail?

Thanks!

Edited by JFT

yeah... I read to

" Although IZHMASH-produced AK-101 rifles will likely never be available in the United States, Arsenal Inc. of Las Vegas, Nevada, has brought to life an excellent Bulgarian copy. "

and then quit reading.

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1