stock compliance question!

I have a saiga 7.62x39 and I have zero interest in converting. However I am planning on installing a bullet guide so I can use Hi cap mags and I also plan on installing this stock. http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=198&zenid=d54aa91ff3d2d6e404d5f9c1648b76ac What else would be the easiest and cheapest mod to make this thing legal?

I have a saiga 7.62x39 and I have zero interest in converting. However I am planning on installing a bullet guide so I can use Hi cap mags and I also plan on installing this stock. http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=198&zenid=d54aa91ff3d2d6e404d5f9c1648b76ac What else would be the easiest and cheapest mod to make this thing legal?

That's a foreign stock (obviously, lol). So you're in the same boat as if you wanted to just throw a 10+ round mag into your completely factory x39. You need to lose 4 foreign "counted" parts (see here for parts list) and replace them with US made parts.

The easiest and cheapest route? Swap out the handguard for a US made one, and only use US made mags, when using mags over 10 rounds. There's your 4 parts right there; Mag = 3 parts, Handguard = 1 part.

But the link you gave is to a handguard/stock set. You wouldn't be able to use that handguard in the setup I listed above, because it's foreign. So if you really want to use that handguard, you'll still need to only use US made mags if they're over 10 rounds and still need to swap 1 more part. The gas piston can be swapped out for a US made one, for that 1 other part needed.

Ironwood makes some but are $120+ for a set and.. then you need a gas tube $30 and lower HG retainer $25-30 from CSS or Apex..

Tapco also makes a USA wood set for about $110 from CSS (Timbersmith Brand) and they are sharp also. but you need the pieces above to make them work also.. $$.

Better using the US Mags.. Either Surefire or Tapco maybe..

You could get a Tapco Intrafuse Saiga Tri-Rail that just goes right on for like $42 or so.

Al

You could buy a G2 trigger and use the hammer and disconnector from it while keeping the factory trigger. That leaves two needed parts. Since I cannot under any circumstances recommend using a US made magazine for the AK, I would say you have two options. You could either swap the gas piston, and use US made followers or floorplates on your high capacity magazines, or you could leave the piston and use US made followers AND floorplates in your magazines.

So, to recap, should replace four of these five parts with US parts:

Hammer

Disconnector

Followers

Floorplates

Gas Piston

So I have another stupid question. When I bought the Saiga I bought a us made 30 round magazine.. I dont understand how that magazine is legal but a steel ak mag isnt.. 30 rounds is 30 rounds right? This 922r is pretty ridiculous as I understand it.

922r is ridiculous.

Basically it states that the rifle must contain less than 10 foreign parts in order for it to remain legal.

I think it has something to do with supporting US businesses and the economy or something :unsure:

Essentially it's about hassling law abiding citizens and not much more.

922r comes into play when you lose the "sporting" purpose of the rifle. A 30 round magazine causes it to lose this purpose no matter where the magazine is made, so, with 30 round magazines, you need to make sure you abide by 922r. If it's 10 rounds or less, you are fine no matter where the parts are made.

Clear as mud right?