Dependability of .308 in an AKM package

The thing holding me back from buying a Saiga .308 is that historically such a powerful cartidge would use the bigger (RPK?) recievers.

Does the current SVD use the same reciever as the Saiga .308?

Have there been any long term abuse studies of the Saiga .308 with regard to reciever flex, cracks, etc?

The thing holding me back from buying a Saiga .308 is that historically such a powerful cartidge would use the bigger (RPK?) recievers.

Does the current SVD use the same reciever as the Saiga .308?

No, it doesn't. The .308 Saiga does, however, use a reinforced receiver like the RPK.

Have there been any long term abuse studies of the Saiga .308 with regard to reciever flex, cracks, etc?

None ever reported to my knowledge.

I think you're worrying about nothing.

There is an extra 'lug' / crossmember on the Saiga 308 near the trunnion.. much like the S-12 has...

If that helps you out any?

Have a good day.

Albert

Yea I guess if the 12 guage models are holding up this shouldn't be a problem. Duh. I'm thinking I need to buy one of these as its the closest thing to an SVD with the benefit of using USA available ammo. Understand the conversion is a little different need to study up on that. I honestly don't understand why these aren't more popular, seem like Pattons favorite battle rifle only 1/3 the price.

Thanks Gentlemen!

There is an extra 'lug' / crossmember on the Saiga 308 near the trunnion.. much like the S-12 has...

If that helps you out any?

Have a good day.

Albert

Yea I guess if the 12 guage models are holding up this shouldn't be a problem. Duh. I'm thinking I need to buy one of these as its the closest thing to an SVD with the benefit of using USA available ammo. Understand the conversion is a little different need to study up on that. I honestly don't understand why these aren't more popular, seem like Pattons favorite battle rifle only 1/3 the price.

Thanks Gentlemen!

I've only put ~200 rounds through my S308 but it has been just as reliable as my 7.62x39. No problems at all.

The S308 is very easy to convert. No bullet guide, just new FCG, pistol grip, and stock. The hardest part was cutting the sporter plate off. Mine had two spot welds in addition to the two rivets. The spot welds were annoying and took a little work. I had to drill holes for a trigger guard. The holes from the sporter plate did not match up well.

jrmock

Same here as jrmock. Conversion PLATE removal was the only itch'.. The spot welds in the middle make it a little rough.. The good news.. only 2 rivets and not 3.. LOL.

You can run a modified (Hump removed)Tapco G2 with a 6mm washer ($0.49/4pk at Home Depot) on the Trigger Sleeve (BHO side) and call it done.. mine had no 'safety' issues as some have said.. guess thats trial and error though..

We carry the modded G2's for $38 (in our section on here as were on vacation till the 4th or so).. or Tromix ones for $45 ish..

You figure AR10 round with 1/2 the price is about correct though.. AND its an AK reliable weapons base.. :rock: and you can get 15-20 round steel mags from csspecs..

Al

If I convert and use the Choat dragunov stock I am thinking I could use a FCG from a russian tula kit as 922® wouldn't apply to a dragunov stock?

Would there be any advantage to this? I imagine with all the Tula kits just imported there will be some FCG available, would be nice to have an original russian FCG.

Also is there any convecieable way to put a NDS "Tabuk" style flash hider with 14x1 LH threads on the .308 Saiga?

Last are the new .308 saiga's selling now have the stub FSB or do they have the extra length past the FSB like the x39's do ?

Thanks,

Again

If I convert and use the Choat dragunov stock I am thinking I could use a FCG from a russian tula kit as 922® wouldn't apply to a dragunov stock?

Would there be any advantage to this? I imagine with all the Tula kits just imported there will be some FCG available, would be nice to have an original russian FCG.

Also is there any convecieable way to put a NDS "Tabuk" style flash hider with 14x1 LH threads on the .308 Saiga?

Last are the new .308 saiga's selling now have the stub FSB or do they have the extra length past the FSB like the x39's do ?

Thanks,

Again

If your pistol grip (including any on a thumbhole stock) is mounted below the receiver, it counts as a "pistol grip" as far as 922r is concerned.

Installing a flash hider + thumbhole stock will also put your rifle into "922r required" territory, as the rifle cannot be imported with that combination of "evil features".

Lastly, you can have a bone-stock Saiga, and if you insert a "non sporting" magazine (one with more than 10 round capacity), you instantly run afoul of 922r.

Save yourself a lot of trouble, and convert with US parts.

I honestly don't understand why these aren't more popular, seem like Pattons favorite battle rifle only 1/3 the price.

If they had a solid source of military grade mags available, I think a lot more folks would have them.

Maybe its the difficulty to attach a brake or flash hider. I searched the posts in this forum and I can't grasp how one would attach a muzzel device withFSB pushed up to the end of the barrel as it comes from the factory..

Edited by Regal

I honestly don't understand why these aren't more popular, seem like Pattons favorite battle rifle only 1/3 the price.

If they had a solid source of military grade mags available, I think a lot more folks would have them.

Good call, mags are an issue costing four times what I pay for metal on an x39. Ammo is a bit pricey also, while you can get good brass mil-surp for it the cost will be over twice that of yugo mil-surp for the x39. Nothing like the yugo brass even exists for the 308, not only cheap but very high quality. All that considered if I could only have one rifle the S308 would be it.