Gas plug settings using MD Drum AND AGP Mags

Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile but I know this is the place to come. I'm shooting in a 3 gun match in PA in the middle of October and I'm scrambling to get things together. The shotgun I'm using is a Tromix built 8 inch barrel Saiga 12 but I've got ammo questions. I have the MD Drum and AGP mags and have only been using low recoil Federal buckshot in th gun. I was informed we will HAVE to use low brass game loads (quail, grouse, etc). I have not installed Mike's gas plug and have been running the factory one. My question is with the above mentioned ammo what gas setting is needed and should I install the new plug if I intend on using both the drum and the mags? Thanks in advance for your help!

Setting 2 on the factory plug.

As for an after market plugs, the higher the # the more gas.

You're gonna wanna be wide open & use the most powerful low-brass you can find.

Take your plugs & look at them next to the block. Look at where the index pin will be, then look at the bottom & you'll see how much each setting will cover your ports.

Edited by Paulyski

Stating the obvious but you need to shoot it and make sure it will cycle with the drum (and at what settings,) before the match

Yeah, depending on how fine tuned your gun is, drums may run differently with high or low power loads...

But you said you run "low recoil", so you may be close enough for it to work good.

I've never adjusted spring settings on my drums out of the box & they shoot low brass winchester bulk (not recommended) as well as Super X 9 pellet .00 buck...

I just change gas settings.

That 8" gun is going to burn through some ammo and not knock much down.

I predict you'll be acquiring a 19" Saiga following this match. :angel:

That really depends on shotgun class and division as well as the course design/stage setup. If it's more of a CQB course design where manueverability is paramount he'll have a nice advantage with the Tromix S17 and an MD20. From my experience most non-slug stage shotgun course targets are set up at about pistol-distance range where the 8" setup has no problem at all.

In this video Mike is using Remington #8 birdshot from about 33' away. No problem hitting targets and knocking down steel targets at a nice pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYPnB_pjeQ

Zach

Kross, LLC

Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile but I know this is the place to come. I'm shooting in a 3 gun match in PA in the middle of October and I'm scrambling to get things together. The shotgun I'm using is a Tromix built 8 inch barrel Saiga 12 but I've got ammo questions. I have the MD Drum and AGP mags and have only been using low recoil Federal buckshot in th gun. I was informed we will HAVE to use low brass game loads (quail, grouse, etc). I have not installed Mike's gas plug and have been running the factory one. My question is with the above mentioned ammo what gas setting is needed and should I install the new plug if I intend on using both the drum and the mags? Thanks in advance for your help!

Nate's plug will actually reduce the volume of the chamber. It will pressurize slightly faster. Meaning you will get more cycling power than with the factory plug. The increase is minimal. But enough that some people with weak ejecting guns have reported that with the plug they where able to cycle the same ammo that the factory plug wouldn't. I have a few 8 inch S-17 and you should be just fine. But you should test the ammo and mags together first.

... But you should test the ammo and mags together first.

Words to compete with ... you should avoid any "new" combinations at a match (or worse, for hd/sd)!!! Murphy loves folks who don't test out gear/ammo ...

That 8" gun is going to burn through some ammo and not knock much down.

I predict you'll be acquiring a 19" Saiga following this match. :angel:

The choke has a lot more effect on performance than the bbl length. The fall off in muzzle velocity as bbl length goes down is a lot less dramatic than you might think, and the steel... but you are right, it's still there. Ive seen a lot of cylinder choke 18" shotguns with little/no knockdown power on steel plates, almost comical at times. If you aren't knocking down reactive steel, you should choke up, or use larger shot, or both. This is where it gets a little tricky, during practice you may find that well aimed shots take steel down, only to find during match that the imperfect aimed shots aren't getting it done (nerves, shots on move, etc). Try to practice like you really shoot if you can get a range that allows shooting on move, and has steel targets for use.

I was informed we will HAVE to use low brass game loads (quail, grouse, etc).

I'd double check this ... I've only EVER seen restrictions on shot size from range/matches. Controls the distance the shot will go, potential damage to targets and potential splash damage ... I guess it could be, but that'd be a first for me. If you are mostly shooting steel, use the largest shot size allowed (often 7.5, 6 and I've seen 4 allowed ... but 6 and 4 often are loaded into high brass shells). If you have clays involved (in holders are flipped up or thrown) then smaller shot helps. My favorite all around is 7.5, but distant steel can cause problems unless I choke down pretty tight (which means you need a better sight picture, no slop allowed!).

Have fun, good luck!

Edited by kmoore

My 19" runs any ammo from any feeding device on the lowest setting. Really have to try out your gun and see what happens and make adjustments as/if needed.

make sure you have a good tight choke too. helps with patterning and will help get a tight seal which helps cycling.

Edited by Rusty truck