Bolt on DIY trigger gaurds

I am fixing to start ordering my conversion parts, and I have a few concerns that I will relate in question from:

1. Does anybody have experience with the DIY bolt on trigger guards, (Tromix, CSS) in terms of how reliable they are, IE: is the built in grip nut/bushing strong enough to handle S12 power? I like the fact of having that nut built in to the guard..but I am not beyond cutting out the hole required to fit the normal grip nut..

2. Those same guards are mentioned being made for the SAW grips.....will the built in nut be able to accept a traditional AK grip, assuming the right screw is used?

3. Does anybody re-use the pin retention spring during the conversion process? I saw a youtube vid where it was suggested to get a different retention spring and modify it accordingly to the S12...

Thanks for any thoughts ya'll may have...

I got a conversion kit from CSS. A new pin retention spring was included, and I chose the CSS trigger guard. It bolted up solid. I have fired all sorts of crazy rounds throught my S12 without issue. As for other grips, I would assume that they would fit if you shortened the bolt. I can't say for sure though, I'll let someone else answer that one.

2. Those same guards are mentioned being made for the SAW grips.....will the built in nut be able to accept a traditional AK grip, assuming the right screw is used?

I don't know why they say they are for SAW grips. If you trim the grip screw to the right length they work fine for regular AK grips.

I don't know why they say they are for SAW grips. If you trim the grip screw to the right length they work fine for regular AK grips.

To fit better

tapco saw has a wider opening in the nut area

I had one of the older Tromix DIY guards and I fubar'd it by using a standard AK grip and standard grip screw configuration. From what I understand, the newer ones are thicker and much stronger. You may be able to use an AK grip with it, but you should get some confirmation from Tromix first. They do make for a really quick conversion/restoration.

Well, I am going to go with the CSS version. (No offense to Tromix....i'm just not an "angle" type of guy. Besides, I'm getting the modified G2 by Tromix to make up for it)

I will be adding a SAW grip and a regular ol' AK stock. This is the first firearm I've owned, and of course, my first conversion, so I'm keeping it quick and easy :)

No worries, there are a lot of great products out there, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the offerings that I've seen on here. Ours does have the advantage of being totally bolt-on with no hole cutting or drilling.

Style is probably the main choice for most guys. Ours is modeled after the H&K, some guys want a more traditional AK or even an AR look.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43450

This is a great DIY TG with a traditional AK style and attaches by a three point method like a real Saiga 12 -C or other military styled Saiga 12.

Also implements a true AK style selector stop.

Comes with both rivets and button cap machine screws & threaded plate for inside. You can mount it like a real AK TG if you have the means to crush steel rivets, or simply bolt it on by drilling two holes behind your S-12 mag catch.

Most sturdy DIY TG on the market IMO.

I've got the Tromix DIY, and have never had any problem. I used red loctite to secure my bolts, and after about a year the setup is 100% solid. I use the Hogue pistol grip with mine, and if I remember correctly.. the screw that came with that worked just fine with my trigger guard. I did have to dremmel out a very small amount of plastic from the flat inside area of the PG that contacts the grip nut, just so it would tighten all the way up and contact the receiver.