ok got 2 for my s12. yes i know they suck. i have read the fix.

based on what i have read here and elsewhere, promag will replace them with a gen2. my question is this. are the replacements any better than the ones that suck? or...is it a better plan to fix them and be done with it?

cheers

scott

Has anyone ever seen these mythical 2nd gens?

Back last year when I waited 3 months & called 10 times before they sent me a new one, they SAID they would send me a "2nd gen" that the problems were fixed on, but I got a mag exactly like the one I sent them...

Maybe you should try it & see if these 2nd gens that we've heard so much conjecture about really exist yet? :unsure:

I did a through write up on how to fix them on a youtube video & posted it here more than once, I was able to get it running well. You do should insert a cork in the follower or something after expanding the mouth to keep the follower from getting beaten by the bolt, but the one I fixed ran.

I just didn't trust it for long term or SD use, so I sold it as part of a set of mags. (with the buyer knowing the full history.)

PM if you want the full text or have any questions.

Edited by Paulyski

well i went ahead and did the deed and boiled the mags.

IMG_20100904_143725.jpg

i didnt use a hammer handle. instead i found a 16mm deep well socket that was just a hair larger than the 12ga round. shove it in the mag an boiled away. amazing how easily the shell slips thru the mag now

IMG_20100904_144007.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

never again will i utter the word "promag"

No! Don't say that! Your .308 is gonna love the new ProMags. I've run 2 hard for a while now, and they have been great.

ProMags, for me, are always polar experiences. They fuckin' suck, or you can't get them to stop working.

Edited by TackDriver

Paulyski jarred my memory on this one. i have been so wrapped up in other crap that i forgot about this. i just hand cycled a full mag of 3" buck. as fast as i could pull the handle they fed. not a single hang up!. i guess i will need to retract my sour promag taste for now.

hey tack! this is for the 12 you will get to shoot when we can hook up. my hk sights just came in and hopefully next week i can get them on.

Edited by smartbomb
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...