Yellow Jackets under the front porch...

I got a nest under the brand new front porch... Yellow jackets... the little yellow nasty bastards. So far they go in and out from the sides and havent bothered anyone YET... but the hose is right there, so I think its just a matter of time before one of them gets a little "over zealous" and we have an accident.

SO... with all that said...

What are YOUR best yellow jacket trap recipes...

I have googled it... and know the soda bottles with sweets inside, or the attractant filled ones you can buy, or the tripod with a piece of fish... etc... and I am not doubting any of these... I just want to know if any of you have had a similar issue and what you did to get rid of them once and for all quickly and easily.

Just looking for anyone's "SURE FIRE" "FOOLPROOF" Yellow jacket trap ideas... :up:

THANKS!!!!

:smoke:

... not really a trap, but if you buy the yellow jacket bug spray and apply a flame (attorney: don't try this at home) it makes a deadly 20ft flamethrower... or so i'm told.

That wasp spray does just fine. LOL and if you add the said flame it gets very interesting. Will do just fine.

Sevin Dust.

Most of the time we get em they are in the ground. You just watch the hole and pinpoint where they are coming zooming out of there and going back to, then go in at night and dump some dust down in and all around the hole. They will get it all over their hairy asses when they start buzzing all around, and while going in and out. Give that shit a chance to work through the nest for a couple days or so......problem solved.....whole damn bunch and even the queen. I've killed more nests like this than I can count.

Some people around here prefer to pour gas down there and light it but that's not really something I like to be around long. The fire really pisses those little fuckers off...lol!

• Like 1

If you can find the entrance (hole) to the underground nest - a red road flare after sundown will allow you to burn most of the "soldiers" as they try to swarm out and then when you get tired of that you can jam the burning flare into the hole and the smoke and fumes will kill the whole underground hive. That may not be practical under the porch. I've had very good results with the hanging yellow plastic traps with attractant. I had a hive somewhere under the garage at a rental that I couldn't locate, put up one of those traps and had to empty it every day for a week as it filled up and finally they were gone.

Carb cleaner works on contact they just drop and twitch for a bit. But you gotta hit'em. Spray inside the nest at night when they arnt flying around. Than, just for good measure caulk the entrance! :devil:

EDIT TO ADD

Carb Cleaner works on ALL bugs not just bees or yellow jackets!!

Edited by Arik

yeah, sevin dust is great for most insects. i would recommend doing the dirty work at night or early morning when it is still as cool as possible. they will be less active. that could be an ideal time for a spray you can hose into the opening of the nest and still give time to evacuate the scene.

Wait till dusk, pour gasoline in hole. Fumes kill whole nest on contact. If you want to you can ignite it but it is unnecessary. I have eradicated several nests over the years with 100% success using this method. Then again a couple of rounds from your Saiga 12 in the hole probably wont hurt either.

post-26524-023560100 1282994810_thumb.jpg

thanks for all the replies.. unfortunately, none will work... except a trap... i cannot GET UNDER the porch... I may try some sevin in a way that might work... flames are all right out... i just spent 1500 on the porch... dont want to burn the place down yet... LOL :up:

You can get the sevin in there to them if you have a way to get the business end of a leaf blower or shop vac in there. Here's an old trick I learned from an exterminator friend once. It worked to kill the fleas (and everything else) we had under our crawl space that was too small to actually crawl into (but the damn dogs found a way to get all up in there with fleas...).

Stick the blower hose in the access hole and if you can turn it so the air blows along the foundation wall inside. If you have to just make a simple 90 degree turn out of whatever you have....a PVC elbow would be perfect.

While blowing the air in there, shake a bag of sevin dust into the fan where it's sucking air. It will take the dust round trip around the whole space under there. Problem solved. Ya might want to armor up some first though...lol.

I can go at it from the OTHER side of the porch... LOL The porch has the crisscross lattice to keep animlas ( like the chickens ) out from under it... but the yellow jackets only exit from the east side... I could hit the blower from the WEST side and be out of there before they realize what hit em! :up: SWEET idea, bro!! Best one I have gotten yet! Sure beats "Light it on fire" LOL :lol:

Me and my 3 year old were out looking for worms to go fishing on Saturday and stepped on a nest in the leaves. The little bastards zapped me and my son before we even know what happened. I got nailed about a dozen times and my son got whacked about 6 or 7. IT was truly scary. Once they get attached to you clothes, they don't come off easily. Now, any yellow jacket that I see is a dead yellow jacket.

If they are in a hanging nest, use a spray with Bifenthrin. That will kill on contact as well as kill any that come back to the nest. Typical wasp sprays only kill on contact. If they are in the ground, nuke the little bastards with diesel or gasoline.

When I lived in Taiwan I got stung by an Asian giant hornet (2 inch long monster as round as your pinky). To say that it hurts is an understatement. http://muenster.org/hornissenschutz/vespa-mandarinia.htm

Wasp traps made from a big plastic jar. 2 or 3 pieces of 1/2" pvc. Cut holes in middle of pvc pipes, run the pipes through the jar and seal with silicone.

HOLES IN PIPE MUST BE ON BOTTOM.

Bait trap with a piece of bacon and flat soda or beer.

The ends of the pipes are open and wasps enter. They aren't smart enough to look for the exit on the bottom. Make several traps and empty the bodies now and then!

Hey I just remembered we did this before? Anyone with the plan post a pix.

I have strung SEVERAL commercial "bait traps" around. the ones that use the attractant... all 3... WORTHLESS... ZERO insects trapped in 3 days!

I am going to try the tripod, tub of soapy water, and chunk of fish here pretty soon...

GOB I followed your instructions in the last thread we talked about this and made this.

post-1293-090514600 1283297790_thumb.jpg

post-1293-072371000 1283297844_thumb.jpg

post-1293-061085200 1283297859_thumb.jpg

post-1293-006575000 1283297873_thumb.jpg

Maybe I didn't use the right bait or something, didn't have much luck. Or maybe the hole in that top tube was too big on the side. Did kill a few of those bastards though before the sevin ate their asses up.