762x39 conversion dillemma

Ok, heres the deal! I have a 762x39 that I want converted. I want to put on the black laminate tapco timbersmith set as opposed to the plastic stuff. I have never done a conversion myself but I found a guy who can do it for $340 all parts included (including stock set). My question is how much would I save if I did the conversion myself and is it worth paying someone else to avoid the hassle. I heard that installing the tapco stocks can be a bit of a pain.

Ok, heres the deal! I have a 762x39 that I want converted. I want to put on the black laminate tapco timbersmith set as opposed to the plastic stuff. I have never done a conversion myself but I found a guy who can do it for $340 all parts included (including stock set). My question is how much would I save if I did the conversion myself and is it worth paying someone else to avoid the hassle. I heard that installing the tapco stocks can be a bit of a pain.

Well just calculate the price of the parts you want to use and thats how much it will be if you do it yourself. I say definently worth it to do it yourself. Learn a good bit about the platform and when you get done you just feel better knowing you did it yourself. I did anyways. I say do it yourself!

If you go with CSS for the Timbersmith $110 ,the modified lower HG retainer $30, and the gas tube $30 you'll need to install all that.

FIgure 2 hours (or less) for the conversion dremeling and such, and then about 30 minutes to bolt on the stock set.

All the parts together will run you about $180 for the wood alone.. the coverision parts FCG, etc.. about $50..

I can't see how the guy can do it for $340 complete.. when you got $230 in parts.. not much for labor costs I guess.

I did my Christine (7.62x39) took about 1 1/2 hours to do (1st).. Then my 5.45x39 Helene took about 45 minutes.. (2nd).. My Saiga 308 took about 1 1/4 because that has 2 spot welds holding the plate on..

I say DIY and save the $110 for ammo.. unless your not to sure..

Make sure YOU are there when the guy orders the parts as you need the gastube and retainer and FCG to make this work for you..

Albert

I say its up to you as an individual. Are the you kind of guy who dives in and does stuff even if it might be unfamiliar? I personally procrastinated my conversion over a year. If I'd had a guy offer to do it for $110...done. Its all how you value your own time though. I think there is a lot to be said for being familiar with your weapon and I think it will give you a bit of pride...but at the end of the day what we want is a good rifle with good fit, finish, ergonomics and trigger pull. You can get that yourself, but if you can also get it pretty cheap, might be worth it.

If I am going to pay someone for a conversion (Tromix is the only one I have used), I would want them to weld and finish the holes left from the old FCG. Tony does this and if you do a folding stock or Tromix or Ace type stock, the rear plate is welded on smoothly like it has always been there. That is money well spent and something that I can't do in my garage without serious capital investment in welding gear and lots of practice and training.

I would also ask what kind of paint the guy is using... See if it is regular spray paint instead of a bake-on enamel, Cerakote or Duracoat finish (these stand up to gun solvents while cleaning and maintaining your weapon)

If the guy is doing a conversion where it will accept regular AK mags and guaranteeing the function, then that is worth a couple bucks more in parts & labor (bullet guide and drilling and tapping/riveting it in) and trips to the range hopefully saved if he test fires it for function before returning it to you.

If these things aren't happening, then you are paying for less than an hour or so worth of dremel and drill work that is actually a lot of fun (IMO) if you educate yourself here first and currently have a good drill (or press) and dremel tool!

As many other members are saying here, you're best off doing it for yourself. As Buffet mentioned, it's a lot of fun. Hell, I can't wait to do another I had such a great time. In the end, it really is up to you, but you'll be saving yourself money and gaining some valuable knowledge if you do it for yourself. Either way, post pics when it's done!!!

OK! here's the update.. I decided to let him do it. He does a good job, (he did my Saiga 12). While I wanted to take it on for the pure adventure of it, I just dont have the time and I know I would have parts laying around the garage for months! Thank you all for your input. To buffetdestroyer.. I'm not too concerned about the welded holes, this is a $300 rifle that I want to make legal and functional, with a badass black laminate stock set! I have an M1 Garand and a 1903A3 that are my "pretty" rifles! If anyone is in the Phoenix area and wants a fair, well done conversion, email me and I will forward his info.. mramirez2@cox.net

I was lucky enough to find a local gunsmith who was down to earth and only charged me 45$ to convert one of mine.

This is a good deal in my opinion.

If paying over $100, I would want all the things Tromix does on their conversions as a personal preference because I can't do them myself.

tmrami, to correct you, you will now have a $640 gun! :dollar::rolleyes::dollar:

I think the Timbersmith will make a cool looking $640 gun though!

Dude: $340 out the door.

Buffet: It is going to be sweet! I cant wait to see how that black laminate wood looks.

Be sure to post some pics when you get it back!

Nuh! I said it first! <_<

At any rate, I double my request for pictures. Just to beat buffet. :haha:

• Like 1

Buffet: It is going to be sweet! I cant wait to see how that black laminate wood looks.

post-4669-047819200 1283368266_thumb.gif

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to post pictures!!!!

:lolol:

• Like 1

if the price sounds good to you, its a good deal. what type trigger is going to use? i still think you should do one yourself. maybe next time. you will be so glad you did. it is well worth learning that much about your rifle.

also requesting post operation photos.

post-4669-047819200 1283368266_thumb.gif

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to post pictures!!!!

:lolol:

+1!!! I love that movie!!!!!!!!