Finally! A Fail-Proof BHO!

I finally got fed up with the current BHO that my S-12 is equipped with, the design just doesn't work well, so I set it up so that it can't get in the way and figured I'd just use the weapon sans BHO.

This weekend, after thinking about it, I decided to take the dremel to my safety lever to make a BHO that actually works. It actually isn't that hard to do with the safety lever on the weapon...

IMG_9873.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9876.jpg

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9878.jpg

I took pics with the dust cover off just to show a little more detail, but as you can see in the following pics with the dust cover on, it works well and with the bolt closed and the safety on, there really isn't that large of a hole to allow debris to enter.

This, and similar types of mods to the safety lever to act as a bho, are much better solutions than adding the bho mechanism to an already perfect design.

Now a lrbho is a different story...that's a welcome futuristic addition to a timeless platform.

• Like 1

The yugoslavians did it a long time before Dinzag did

M92.jpg

Huh. My M92 does not have that type of safety lever...

It should. It was an M92 feature. Someone may have swapped yours out for you or they might have done it at the factory.

Mine is a Vector build on a (supposedly) virgin kit. Kinda annoyed about the safety. Probably riding on sombody's personal AK right now.:angry2: Adding to my frustration, the flip-up front sight post went missing on the last range visit and I'm sure there are no spares available outside of buying another kit. Damnation.

Always gotta tip my hat to the DIY'ers, even when it's the simple jobs. Looks good.

I finally got fed up with the current BHO that my S-12 is equipped with, the design just doesn't work well

What exactly was happening? I've never had a problem with my BHO, even after I uninstalled/reinstalled it. The only "problem" (and I don't consider it a real problem) is that with the factory BHO engaged, if you were to bump the butt on the ground, it releases the bolt. Some people like that, some people don't.

Always gotta tip my hat to the DIY'ers, even when it's the simple jobs. Looks good.

I finally got fed up with the current BHO that my S-12 is equipped with, the design just doesn't work well

What exactly was happening? I've never had a problem with my BHO, even after I uninstalled/reinstalled it. The only "problem" (and I don't consider it a real problem) is that with the factory BHO engaged, if you were to bump the butt on the ground, it releases the bolt. Some people like that, some people don't.

Sometimes, the factory BHO gets stuck up inside the receiver essentially locking the bolt in the open position thusly making it nearly impossible to fix. It really is the worst design they could have possibly put in there, you can really tell it was an after-thought.

BTW, if I had bought a safety lever for an AK it wouldn't work right with my weapon. Notice the position of the bolt handle on mine compared with the AK...

• Like 1

Sometimes, the factory BHO gets stuck up inside the receiver essentially locking the bolt in the open position thusly making it nearly impossible to fix. It really is the worst design they could have possibly put in there, you can really tell it was an after-thought.

BTW, if I had bought a safety lever for an AK it wouldn't work right with my weapon. Notice the position of the bolt handle on mine compared with the AK...

I restored my S-12 and never saw my BHO disappear into the gun. I would tell everyone to check the work done to the gun before cutting up factory parts.

I restored my S-12 and never saw my BHO disappear into the gun. I would tell everyone to check the work done to the gun before cutting up factory parts.

That's cool, good for you, but I'm not the only one who's had this problem, and when I convert mine, the factory BHO will be removed and the hole will be filled. You'd probably tell me to restore my 'vette to it's stock 180 horse engine too, and then, just like now, you'd get a very polite "duly noted."

If it were an expensive or hard to find part I wouldn't have done it, but it's a freakin' safety lever...

Mine is a Vector build on a (supposedly) virgin kit. Kinda annoyed about the safety. Probably riding on sombody's personal AK right now.:angry2: Adding to my frustration, the flip-up front sight post went missing on the last range visit and I'm sure there are no spares available outside of buying another kit. Damnation.

If your'e talking about the flip up tritium sight I might have a spare from a M70 virgin kit.

The virgin m92 kits come with notched safeties. You got robbed.

Youve got a normal bolt handle in the same position as everyone elses bolt handle. .

You've got a normal bolt handle in the same position as everyone else's bolt handle. .

Bull, BTW, I corrected the improper punctuation in your post...

The Saiga-12 bolt handle travels further rearward than an Ak's bolt handle. Look at the pictures...

I wouldn't call this fail proof, maybe fail resistant?

Be careful, a fall or jostle CAN release the bolt. I've had it happen with the notch even more angled (holding the bold handle more aggressively).

YMMV

I'll keep an eye out for that but I meant fail-proof as in, the operation of the gun cannot be disabled, i.e. BHO getting stuck up inside the receiver and rendering the weapon useless until you rip it apart.

I'll be careful though, I'm not really in the practice of dropping or throwing around my weapons. Thanks for your input.

You've got a normal bolt handle in the same position as everyone else's bolt handle. .

The Saiga-12 bolt handle travels further rearward than an Ak's bolt handle. Look at the pictures...

Thank you soooo very much for correcting my punctuation. Such a relief. Yes. The bolt goes back farther than the notch on the normal AK safety notch as it does on an AK as well. That doesnt mean you have to pull it that far to lock it. AK's and Saiga 12 bolt carriers both travel rearward to exactly the same point. The bolt only needs to go all the way back under power.

imag0165q.jpg

Thank you soooo very much for correcting my punctuation. Such a relief. Yes. The bolt goes back farther than the notch on the normal AK safety notch as it does on an AK as well. That doesnt mean you have to pull it that far to lock it. AK's and Saiga 12 bolt carriers both travel rearward to exactly the same point. The bolt only needs to go all the way back under power.

imag0165q.jpg

Alrighty then, I stand corrected. Thanks!

BTW a standard late Saiga or late AK-74 selector will work as a replacement. Any AK safety will but the detent is farther forward on the late model guns. It would just make a different mark on the receiver if you use an earlier safety.

BTW a standard late Saiga or late AK-74 selector will work as a replacement. Any AK safety will but the detent is farther forward on the late model guns. It would just make a different mark on the receiver if you use an earlier safety.

See, I wouldn't have thought that since there are so many parts that are "special" for these things, that's even better, if I ever want to "undo" this I can just buy any lever...

Thanks again, sorry for being a dick, I can't really help it, since I'm a dick and all... :lolol:

See, I wouldn't have thought that since there are so many parts that are "special" for these things, that's even better, if I ever want to "undo" this I can just buy any lever...

Thanks again, sorry for being a dick, I can't really help it, since I'm a dick and all... :lolol:

Join the crowd

That's cool, good for you, but I'm not the only one who's had this problem, and when I convert mine, the factory BHO will be removed and the hole will be filled. You'd probably tell me to restore my 'vette to it's stock 180 horse engine too, and then, just like now, you'd get a very polite "duly noted."

If it were an expensive or hard to find part I wouldn't have done it, but it's a freakin' safety lever...

As you may not be the only person to have had this problem, you still represent a small minority. And yes, since cars are much like guns with respect to how they maintain their value, I would tell you to restore it to a more factory state. Why? Because it's the smarter thing to do. No one wants a chopped up corvette or gun. Secondly, I'd be worried about why my gun wasn't functioning properly and fix the problem so in the future it doesn't blow up in my face.

But hey, I was using practical logic. Sorry to confuse the situation.

As you may not be the only person to have had this problem, you still represent a small minority. And yes, since cars are much like guns with respect to how they maintain their value, I would tell you to restore it to a more factory state. Why? Because it's the smarter thing to do. No one wants a chopped up corvette or gun. Secondly, I'd be worried about why my gun wasn't functioning properly and fix the problem so in the future it doesn't blow up in my face.

But hey, I was using practical logic. Sorry to confuse the situation.

Nobody? Hmmm, I guess that's why Mike Davidson and other businesses are BANKING hundreds of thousands, if not, millions of dollars off people customizing their Saigas, much like a sporter Saiga sells for $450-$600 when a fully converted Saiga is worth $1,000 to $1,200.

Yeah, no one wants a custom corvette... riiiiiight :rolleyes: it's plain to see that you know nothing about practical logic...

Psst, I'm never selling it, and it's always getting faster. I still have the numbers matching engine and tranny for both my classic cars, but there is no need to restore them, I don't see a '77 'vette or a '74 4-door Nova going on Barret Jackson any time soon, and if any did, they wouldn't be mine, some things, you just don't sell.

I don't buy guns to profit off of them, I've sold one in my lifetime, it was a Taurus, and I got out of it what I had in it. You value nothing but money in your life.

Being greedy is a horrible way to live...

I wanted a weapon to work the way I need it to work until I can convert it, so STFU!!!

You are now free to resume posting while at work, it must be nice...

Edited by Caged

Nobody? Hmmm, I guess that's why Mike Davidson and other businesses are BANKING hundreds of thousands, if not, millions of dollars off people customizing their Saigas, much like a sporter Saiga sells for $450-$600 when a fully converted Saiga is worth $1,000 to $1,200.

Yeah, no one wants a custom corvette... riiiiiight it's plain to see that you know nothing about practical logic...

Psst, I'm never selling it, and it's always getting faster. I still have the numbers matching engine and tranny for both my classic cars, but there is no need to restore them, I don't see a '77 'vette or a '74 4-door Nova going on Barret Jackson any time soon, and if any did, they wouldn't be mine, some things, you just don't sell.

I don't buy guns to profit off of them, I've sold one in my lifetime, it was a Taurus, and I got out of it what I had in it. You value nothing but money in your life.

I wanted a weapon to work the way I need it to work until I can convert it, so STFU!!!

It's pretty obvious that with your piss poor attitude, abrasive personality and inferiorty complex, you won't be around long. So I'll say my good-byes now. Buh Bye.

LOL at the "STFU". Hey doofus, you're on a message board. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah, no one wants a custom corvette... riiiiiight it's plain to see that you know nothing about practical logic...

It's pretty obvious that with your piss poor attitude, abrasive personality and inferiorty complex, you won't be around long. So I'll say my good-byes now. Buh Bye.

LOL at the "STFU". Hey doofus, you're on a message board. :rolleyes:

You're the one trying to tell others how to live...