Finally! A Fail-Proof BHO!

Just be aware that if you cut it too steep the safety will not disengage. Of course, if it's not steep enough you won't be able to pull the charging handle back. It takes some playing with to find an acceptable balance, but it works quite well when you find your sweet spot.

I'd also like to explicitly state that if you like this design/mod/whatever, please feel free to use it, post pics of it, and tell all your friends. At your own risk, of course, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape. You can even copyright it, if you're so inclined.

Edited by mammynun

thanks caged for the post which reminded me i needed to do this!

went with mammynun's type of cutout in the end, with the front edge profiled to match the shape of the charging handle as closely as i could - with the rear ramp not for releasing but to aid hooking in the slot, bolt releases fine just by disengaging safety :angel:

ak9.JPG

ak10.JPG

Edited by sh00ter

Here is one way to add a tab without welding. I don't weld either and prefer not to subject any of my gun parts to that kind of extreme heat. I prefer to use the time proven method of using steel rivets to join all parts on an AK.

I used this method when I installed this finger tab on a friend's selector on his Tromix SBS-12 (Slug-O).

post-1293-052219700 1283531659_thumb.jpg

Back on topic, I got the shits of my BHO spring popping off, so I got a JTE main spring, straightened out the little tab on my BHO, then put the right side hook of the main spring on the BHO. Works great.

Interesting solution. Got any pics?

Another easy solution is to drill a small hole through the BHO and put a bend in the spring to fit through it.

nice one Cobra, def one for me to try :smoke:

as for the bho spring, i stripped mine out my other saiga yesterday to have a play/clean. After much head scratching and swearing i managed to get it back in ok, i then took it out again, straight back in... i used the bho itself to hold the spring in position then line it with hole for pin.

Hard to describe but held it against receiver wall by pushing bho against it, then with the springs short leg in place pushing it down behind bho with a small flat screwdriver whilst keeping a little pressure on bho so the little bugger of a spring stays down, flip over and using small screwdriver line it up with pin hole.

I spent ages trying to get that bloody spring in, but once i adopted the above approach it was an instant job every time :super: