Shorten and Thread Barrel On A "Real Gun"?

I have a Saiga-12 with a 24" barrel, and I've decided to have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 18.5" and thread it externally (same as on your 19" guns from the factory). I want to add a Poly Choke as some of you guys/gals have done. I have other hunting and self-defense guns, but I think the Saiga is extremely versatile and fun to shoot. None of the 3 gunsmiths where I live in Southern Oregon have experience with Saigas. Their experience is principally related to 'sporting' (hunting) guns. Once this is done, I plan to take the plunge as you have done and attempt my first conversion.

Each of the gunsmiths I spoke with was unsure how to remove the barrel so that it would go onto their lathe. They said that to ensure straight/accurate threads, a lathe is necessary. They assumed that the barrel is attached at the gas block.

Is this correct?

Is it necessary to remove the barrel to have a straight cut and straight threads?

One gunsmith suggested that he simply use a power hacksaw and crown the barrel (square it off), and that I NOT attach a choke or brake device. In other words, it would only be a home defense gun.

Each gunsmith stated an assumption that the external barrel threads were probably metric, and if so, they are not equiped to cut metric threads and would not be able to use a Poly Choke threaded for Saigas.

Are the threads metric?

Is there an alternative solution (other than permanently soldering on a choke or brake)?

I left the gun with someone I know, like and trust for him to ponder the situation for awhile.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments and advice.

P.S. - I hope to receive some sound advice as requested above, and I hope my following comments do not detract from that objective. However, I share the following for your enjoyment: One of the gunsmiths basically threw me out of his shop. He had no experience with AKs, Saigas or guns of similar 'heritage', but he was quick to dismiss them as "RATTLE TRAP" guns, and that they were "NOT REAL GUNS", and that he would welcome my business if I ever brought in a "REAL GUN." He immediately turned on his heels and went back to the REAL GUN he was working on when I walked in. At that moment, I didn't know whether to laugh at him or flip him off with some choice words of my own. I do know this: I will NEVER give him any of my business to work on any of my REAL GUNS. LOL

Edited by UGlide

I've had people treat me that way. Fuk'um! Here is a link that might help. http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/s12-threading.pdf

And here is a page that has some other info u might be interested in: http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/downloads.html

And furthermore, saigas are some of the most FUCKING AWESOME platforms there are in my opinion

Edited by AZG

I have a Saiga-12 with a 24" barrel, and I've decided to have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 18.5" and thread it externally (same as on your 19" guns from the factory). I want to add a Poly Choke as some of you guys/gals have done. I have other hunting and self-defense guns, but I think the Saiga is extremely versatile and fun to shoot. None of the 3 gunsmiths where I live in Southern Oregon have experience with Saigas. Their experience is principally related to 'sporting' (hunting) guns. Once this is done, I plan to take the plunge as you have done and attempt my first conversion.

Each of the gunsmiths I spoke with was unsure how to remove the barrel so that it would go onto their lathe. They said that to ensure straight/accurate threads, a lathe is necessary. They assumed that the barrel is attached at the gas block.

Is this correct? Anyone that is lost enough to think that the barrel is attached at the gas block isn't putting a finger on my weapon. Incompetent is an understatement

Is it necessary to remove the barrel to have a straight cut and straight threads? I didn't remove my barrel and there is no indication that the threads are crooked.

One gunsmith suggested that he simply use a power hacksaw and crown the barrel (square it off), and that I NOT attach a choke or brake device. In other words, it would only be a home defense gun.

Each gunsmith stated an assumption that the external barrel threads were probably metric, and if so, they are not equiped to cut metric threads and would not be able to use a Poly Choke threaded for Saigas.

Are the threads metric? If they have a decent lathe, they can cut metric or standard threads. There will be different longitudinal feed settings that will determine what threads are cut. Also, unless they are cutting Acme threads or square threads, they will be using a 30? degree cutting tool and it doesn't know the difference between metric or standard. It just cuts threads, period

Is there an alternative solution (other than permanently soldering on a choke or brake)?

I left the gun with someone I know, like and trust for him to ponder the situation for awhile.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments and advice. If this will be your only S12, send it to one of the masters here. If you may end up wanting to cut and rethread a few of these, buy the thread alignment tool, the proper die, and a 12ga crowning tool. Dinzag arms has everything you need. Unless you are going to run a supressor, the threads do not need to be absolutely and perfectly aligned with the bore. The thread alignment tool (TAT) should get you plenty close enough for a Polychoke. I did mine without the TAT or crowning tool and actually had to 'right' the factory threads a little. I will do it to the rest of my S12s as well. To speed things up next time, I will be buying that TAT and crown tool.

post-22401-054636400 1283311233_thumb.jpg

P.S. - I hope to receive some sound advice as requested above, and I hope my following comments do not detract from that objective. However, I share the following for your enjoyment: One of the gunsmiths basically threw me out of his shop. He had no experience with AKs, Saigas or guns of similar 'heritage', but he was quick to dismiss them as "RATTLE TRAP" guns, and that they were "NOT REAL GUNS", and that he would welcome my business if I ever brought in a "REAL GUN." He immediately turned on his heels and went back to the REAL GUN he was working on when I walked in. At that moment, I didn't know whether to laugh at him or flip him off with some choice words of my own. I do know this: I will NEVER give him any of my business to work on any of my REAL GUNS. LOL I'd like to chase that guy around his shop with my 'rattle trap' full of rock salt :smoke:

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

There are polychokes out there specific for Saiga-12s for the factory threads. I chopped my 22" gun down and threaded it using basic hand tools. I've found out that with that gun my threads are ever so slightly off (bought a factory barrel extension and paradox rifled choke so that's almost an extra foot of barrel to find the deflection). I've had a Tromix shark brake on that gun since I threaded it and it does fine. I did have to do gas system work as my gun was originally a 3 port gun, as I'm thinking your 24" gun would be.

If you don't feel up to the task I would go with one of the vendors here, the hardest part was getting the gas block off to drill and additional gas port. The barrel goes through the gas block and its pinned into the receiver.

That being said most of the gunsmiths around here won't touch the Saiga, so that's why I learned.

Any smith that knows AK's can pull the barrel. 2 pins on the gas block need to be removed and the gas block pressed off. 1 pin holding the barrel to the trunion needs to be removed and the barrel pressed out of the trunion. If you don't want to mess with this, the best advice I saw was to contact one of the forum business members that do gun work (not just sell parts). The only thing that may be remotely be considered special is supporting the throat of the barrel while pressing it out of the trunion. After that it's normal lathe work to thread it (with the proper metric thread).