Norinco SKS, also seen on the receiver the word "Poly". The stock was what caugt my eye to begin with. Looked uncharacteristic for a SKS. Rich deep color. The forward sling point fixed and doesn't move. Asking price was $185. Does this variant ring a bell to anybody?

Poly is probably Polytech Industries.. Chinese front company for the Chicom government to export rifles.

Nothing special, but check prices around town and if its comparable, go ahead and get it if you want it. Around here Chinese SKS goes anywhere from 150-300 depending on how dumb the buyer is and how much of a scheister the seller is.

The average chinese norinco sks's here vary between $175 to $225 if you can find one they seem to be really scarce sometimes. Most of the sks's here are still not used that much too so most of the time your getting a new gun with hardley any wear at all heck some of the ones i have picked up still have cosmoline in them too because they weren't fully cleaned too. So my point is if you buy it make sure you tear it down and clean it really good to be sure its ok and take the firing pin out too and get the crud out of the firing pin bore in the bolt so it can't slam fire if it sticks. These guns are still great buys either way the chinese made great quality sks's my orginal one still hasn't failed me yet. UKP

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think the yugo sks's are on the bottom of the list because they have no chromed lined barrel they will see more barrel wear and may have problems with using corrosive ammo too unless there not cleaned properly. The chromed chamber means less wear when using steelcased ammo too thats a big plus. The yugo's are cheap but thats were it stops you get what you pay for. ukp

I think the future is the time to part with sks's when the price will be much higher the profit will be in the ones waiting out the long haul. Lets look at the prices on the Albanians right now? They jumped up very quickly in the past few years when the supplies ranout and i'm sure the yugo's will jump up too when they runout too. I think the prices of these will be much higher in 5 to 10 years if you can find one.

Edited by Unknown Poster

aren't polytechs rare and worth a shit load of money?

i know the polytech ak's sell for $1000.00+ depending on condition.

just check gunbroker. i've seen em go for about $1200.00 nib.

sks's go up in price every year almost.

get all that you can. i remember the days you could get a crate of 10 of em for a couple hundred bucks if not less.

i also remember the days when you could get a saiga for $150 and the mags for $10-$25 bucks depending on the model.

whats this world coming to?!?!!!! :dollar::dollar::ded::dollar::dollar:

aren't polytechs rare and worth a shit load of money?

i know the polytech ak's sell for $1000.00+ depending on condition.

But I don't think Polytech made SKSs. That's what threw me off when I saw it, and why I asked about it here. Does anyone know is they made them?

found a poly sks on gunbroker.

it's $200 before shipping.

thats the only one i saw so i guess $185 local is not too bad.

the other would be no less than $250 by the time you pay shipping and ffl fees.

Neither Poly Tech or Norinco made anything. They are export companies set up by the Chinese govt. to sell Chinese made goods. The the way we think in the USA about business, the closest comparision would be that Poly Tech and Norinco are like brand names.

http://www.nti.org/db/china/baoli.htm

The pre 1989 ban Poly Tech AK rifles had better fit/finish on the metal/wood than the Norinco AK rifles made in the same factory. They were imported and marketed by Kengs Firearm Specialties as a premium AK rifle. Due to looking better than the Norinco rifles they command a higher price.

The SKS rifles were the same as any other SKS rifle just marked Poly Tech and were imported by Kengs under their Poly Technologies,Inc name.

SO?!?!?!?!?!? this thread was STARTED On MAY 8!!!!!

Its been like TWO FREAKIN MONTHS....

Did ya BUY THE SKS OR NOT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I would think theres no point in hemming and hawing over what SKS's are good and what they are worth NOW... its been 2 months... if it hasnt been gotten by now... it probably WONT! or its GONE....

And if you did....

WHERE ARE THE PICS?!?!?!? :)

And if not.... WHA'SAMMATTA YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?

:smoke:

• 5 months later...
I think the yugo sks's are on the bottom of the list because they have no chromed lined barrel they will see more barrel wear and may have problems with using corrosive ammo too unless there not cleaned properly. The chromed chamber means less wear when using steelcased ammo too thats a big plus. The yugo's are cheap but thats were it stops you get what you pay for. ukp

I think the future is the time to part with sks's when the price will be much higher the profit will be in the ones waiting out the long haul. Lets look at the prices on the Albanians right now? They jumped up very quickly in the past few years when the supplies ranout and i'm sure the yugo's will jump up too when they runout too. I think the prices of these will be much higher in 5 to 10 years if you can find one.

While it's true the Yugos have no chrome lined barrels if you take good care of the barrel and don't shoot corrosive ammo they'll last as long as chrome lined barrels. Chrome moly steel used for the barrels has the same hardness as the chrome but not the same corrosion protection. I have a Yugo and like it and would NEVER trade it for a Chi Com SKS, it's much better made than the Chinese version. Furthermore many Chinese SKSs were commercial made versions not mil surp ones like the 'paratrooper' version which the Chinese paratroopers never used.

Most military surplus guns go up in price, just look at the M-1 Carbine which used to sell for $150 twenty years ago now they run $350 to $500. Enfields and the Schmidt Rubin rifles are cheap but the ammo costs are expensive fortunately ammo for the SKS is inexpensive. I remember the Hungarian PA-63 were selling for $89, now you don't see them anymore. If you miss out on a mil surp gun you miss out. Fifteen years ago I could have bought a Russian Makarov pistol for $124 now the Bulgrian ones sell for more and the Russian ones sell for $280.