Gas valve setting 2

Some overgassed guns would run certain light birdshot on setting 1 but it would foul sooner. Federal seems to use a slow burning powder which I believe burns in the gas tube transferring more energy.

If whatever you are shooting will reliably run on setting 1 there is no harm is using it on setting 1. In fact you are guaranteeing the bolt carrier won't be kissing the rear trunion this way.

The rule of thumb is to test all new brand ammo to find the lowest gas setting that it will reliably run with, and use that gas setting.

Some overgassed guns would run certain light birdshot on setting 1 but it would foul sooner. Federal seems to use a slow burning powder which I believe burns in the gas tube transferring more energy.

If whatever you are shooting will reliably run on setting 1 there is no harm is using it on setting 1. In fact you are guaranteeing the bolt carrier won't be kissing the rear trunion this way.

The rule of thumb is to test all new brand ammo to find the lowest gas setting that it will reliably run with, and use that gas setting.

Great rule of thumb. I've been thinking of using a reduced power front return spring. Do they really help make the gun function better with Walmart ammo?

I've been thinking of using a reduced power front return spring. Do they really help make the gun function better with Walmart ammo?

If your gun cycles federal bulk pack, just shoot federal bulk pack.

The reduced power recoil springs can make shell ejection easier, but you have less forward power to chamber the next round. This might cause a problem, or it might not. My point is don't mess with it if it works. For me, once I ported the barrel I had to either open up gas ports or use a reduced power recoil spring to get the gun to cycle again. The recoil spring was so cheap and easy it was a quick try and so far it feeds well.

The cheap winchester ammo isn't worth the price of the ammo let alone the cost of messing with your gun. Remington bulk pack seems to have a fast burning powder so even though all of the paper stats are the same as the Federal, the Federal runs better in long gas system guns. My ported barrel gun will run through 100 rounds of Federal bulk pack like it's pouring water but will stovepipe 98% of the Remington equivalent. It's weird.

Edited by hobbyshooter

I've been thinking of using a reduced power front return spring. Do they really help make the gun function better with Walmart ammo?

If your gun cycles federal bulk pack, just shoot federal bulk pack.

The reduced power recoil springs can make shell ejection easier, but you have less forward power to chamber the next round. This might cause a problem, or it might not. My point is don't mess with it if it works. For me, once I ported the barrel I had to either open up gas ports or use a reduced power recoil spring to get the gun to cycle again. The recoil spring was so cheap and easy it was a quick try and so far it feeds well.

The cheap winchester ammo isn't worth the price of the ammo let alone the cost of messing with your gun. Remington bulk pack seems to have a fast burning powder so even though all of the paper stats are the same as the Federal, the Federal runs better in long gas system guns. My ported barrel gun will run through 100 rounds of Federal bulk pack like it's pouring water but will stovepipe 98% of the Remington equivalent. It's weird.

Mine wasn't reliable on setting 1 with Federal bulk #6 shot last weekend. It stovepiped or failed to go into battery at least once every mag. The barrel has 3 holes in the gas port & they are lined up fine. I've polished the bolt & rails. I also have a reduced power hammer spring that came with the trigger conversion. I was having feeding issues before polishing the edges of the chamber. That stopped the feeding issue and then the stovepipe started. The failure to go into battery may be a lub problem. I'll tclean it & take it back to the range with different ammo this weekend.

It seems to run better on Federal bulk #7.5 or 8. I was in a match last weekend with the #6 shot. It ran terrible on that shell. I haven't had a chance to run the other ammo since the match.

Mine wasn't reliable on setting 1 with Federal bulk #6 shot last weekend. It stovepiped or failed to go into battery at least once every mag. The barrel has 3 holes in the gas port & they are lined up fine. I've polished the bolt & rails. I also have a reduced power hammer spring that came with the trigger conversion. I was having feeding issues before polishing the edges of the chamber. That stopped the feeding issue and then the stovepipe started. The failure to go into battery may be a lub problem. I'll tclean it & take it back to the range with different ammo this weekend.

It seems to run better on Federal bulk #7.5 or 8. I was in a match last weekend with the #6 shot. It ran terrible on that shell. I haven't had a chance to run the other ammo since the match.

Would it run the #6 shot on setting 2?

The short answer is no. During the match, I didn't think of it. I wish I had. Funny how when the buzzer goes off your game plan goes out the window and that's when everything is working as advertised. Toss in a glitch and it really gets messy. Had I reset the gas valve I would have gained some valuable data. I'm planning on taking it to the range this weekend and running several deferent shot loads through it to see where I am with the cycling and ejecting. This was my first match using the S12, Before the match, I thought I had it running reliably. But, that was using #7.5 & 8 shot. I didn't think the going to #6 shot would make a difference. Now I'm second-guessing everything.

I took it to the range late yesterday. Tried # 6,7.5 & 8. It was unreliable with all shells, stocepiping at lease once every mag. The failure to go into battery didn't come back after cleaning and lube. I stuck a spent shell in and cycled the action. The only way I can see it could stovepipe would be short stroking the bolt carrier. I got it home and found the gas puck stuck in it's bore. There's always a lot of fouling in the gas port section and my US made gas puck fits much tighter than the OEM. I going to try using the OEM puck next time.

I took it to the range late yesterday. Tried # 6,7.5 & 8. It was unreliable with all shells, stocepiping at lease once every mag. The failure to go into battery didn't come back after cleaning and lube. I stuck a spent shell in and cycled the action. The only way I can see it could stovepipe would be short stroking the bolt carrier. I got it home and found the gas puck stuck in it's bore. There's always a lot of fouling in the gas port section and my US made gas puck fits much tighter than the OEM. I going to try using the OEM puck next time.

I had the same issue using the twister puck made by etac, it was just too tight. Even after a very thorough cleaning of the gas block it would only get about 50rds thru the gun before the fouling would cause the twister puck to stick, thus making the gun not run. I put the OEM plug in it and reliability went back to being 100%.

Took it to the range with OEM puck installed and it ran noticeably better. Still not 100% on Fed bulk shells. I measured the bore and both pistons. The bore is .828. The old piston puck is .825 & the US made ppiston is .824. After reading up on thermal dynamics it appears the a cylinder gets looser as it heats up and the piston expands relatively larger but not quite at the same rate. So, the .001 difference cold could be larger when hot. This would account for the increased fouling of the US made puck. Now if I can just figure out what I need the do to make it 100% reliable I'll be golden. I saw some one is using tourch tip cleaning rods to clear the ports. I did that also. It appears I can hog out the ports with the cleaning tips by a few thousands. Oh boy, another reason to go to the range.

Some overgassed guns would run certain light birdshot on setting 1 but it would foul sooner.

I don't know who it was that started that rumor but it's false....

Just because a gun will run birdshot on setting #1 does not mean it's "overgassed". It was quite common a few years ago before all these 2 and three port guns started coming in. If a 4 port gun is running as smooth as it can with no extra resistance (IE "broke in good"), it's not uncommon to be able to shoot low brass on #1 without issues.

People make a little bit too big a deal about "beating up the gun" too. It's a Kalashnikov. It's made to be beat up some.

Fortunately, thanks to Nathan (gunfixr), we have a choice today to install a gas plug that can be used to turn the gun down some if you are worried about it, and don't want to use a buffer.

People make a little bit too big a deal about "beating up the gun" too. It's a Kalashnikov. It's made to be beat up some.

I agree completely. It seems the majority of the posts from new owners here consist of people being afraid to shoot their guns to even see if they have any problems.

I guess the term "overgassed" wasn't really the right one to use. Just more gassed than others.

My 2001 three hole 19 incher runs anything on either setting.

TOO many ANAListic Elmer Fudds get their panties in a twist if the rear trunnion gets 'kissed' by the carrier.

It.s a fucking AK for God/s sake!

Jeez, unless you run 5000 rounds+ on setting 2 with 3 inch Magnums you have no worries.

Now if your rear trunnion is getting the shit pounded out of it THEN you have issue(s).

Too many Fudds own these Combat shotguns. Shoot it and clean it instead of worrying that the carrier kissed the trunnion, the gas block is full of 'stuff' or it didn't cycle on shitty ammo.

Failing that advice; sell your Saiga, get breast implants and continue acting like a teenage girl with a late period though she's a virgin.