New guy here.. Need a mag recommendation

I just picked up an S12 at the show this past Saturday, and I'm very stoked to start modding this thing. I blame all of you for this purchase, since this is where I realized the potential of such a weapon. It seems the more I read on this forum, the more I realize I don't know jack about my Saiga. I'm grateful to everyone here who has shared information, and made the mistakes so I, hopefully, won't have to.

My question: I want to lock into a couple of 10 round mags, but keep reading mixed results for different makes. Is there one manufacturer that stands out as being more reliable than most?

I know that answers will vary with each application, but if there's a lemon to stay away from, I'd like to know.

Thanks

Chris

You have a few options.

1) Buy AGPs.

2) Buy Surefires.

3) Buy a mix of each and see which ones you like better.

4) Buy 1 mag of either brand and hold out for MD Arms double stacks. The wait for which may be nearing its end.

Personally, I did #2. I read a whole bunch of different threads on here about mags and bought Surefires: 1 12 rounder, 2 8 rounders and a 2 rounder. What tipped it for me was that there was a whole thread stickied for AGP complaints. I've had no complaints about any of those mags and I bought them because of my time preference, ie, they seemed to be the best for the money in the time frame when I wanted to buy them.

With that being said, I probably won't spend anymore money on Surefires OR AGPs. I bought two more Russian 5 rounders when I found them new for a great price and I have a Russian 8 rounder on order. Any new mag money will be put on hold until I can get MD Arms Double Stacks as I suspect that they will be the best hands down and thus see no reason to spend more money on Surefires or AGPs.

This is not to disparage AGP. I've never handled one or used one in my shotgun so I can say nothing more about them then what you can read in other threads.

Determine your time preference, determine your needs within that time preference and then optimize your buying based on the best information you have at this time.

Edited by physicsnerd
  • Like 1