I am a new owner and am on a learning curve so please forgive my question if it is a no-brainier! My S12 has the Pistol Grip mod and does not have a bolt lock installed. It has the slot in it but no lock mechanism. When I asked the shop owner that sold me my S12 he stated you lose that option when modified, and no one makes a lock to fit after the PG modification. Fact or Fiction? If fiction were can I get the parts to rectify the lack of a bolt lock? :unsure:

Some idiot couldn't get the thing back in there. Yes, fiction. All of mine have been reworked from front to back and converted/restored.... they all have bolt hold open (we call it BHO here). carolinashooterssupply.com sells the lever and the spring as a kit. You may need to take a little off of the side of your hammer to fit it in there. It's pretty easy to me, but it all depends on your skill level and patience.

Welcoe aboard!

Edited by evlblkwpnz

First off, the BHO (bolt hold open) is only present on Saigas to satisfy a political requirement. It doesn't enhance the operation (and in some cases, has caused malfunctions).

If it were left in place, it'd eat into your hand while firing, or your hand'd engage the BHO while firing.

If you still just have to have one, I'm sure someone here who is smarter than you can sell you their take-off BHO and spring. Installation instructions can be found all over this forum.

First off, the BHO (bolt hold open) is only present on Saigas to satisfy a political requirement.

Some people like how it makes loading drums, and stick mags full of 3" shells easier.

If it were left in place, it'd eat into your hand while firing, or your hand'd engage the BHO while firing.

I've never had either of those issues with any of my guns.

My BHO has never failed, accidentally engaged, or hurt my hand no matter what I shoot through it.

It's actually quite helpful when loading drum magazines

First off, the BHO (bolt hold open) is only present on Saigas to satisfy a political requirement.

Some people like how it makes loading drums, and stick mags full of 3" shells easier.

I've never had either of those issues with any of my guns.

Hive mind

• Like 1

"I'm sure someone here who is smarter than you can sell you their take-off BHO and spring."

Easy Tex. he is just asking a simple question no need to belittle him. I'm sure at some point even you didn't know all things.

If you're gonna quote me, quote all of me.

If you still just have to have one, I'm sure someone here who is smarter than you can sell you their take-off BHO and spring.

If you still just have to have one, I'm sure someone here who is smarter than you can sell you their take-off BHO and spring. Installation instructions can be found all over this forum.

Don't mind Nalioth, he is better than everyone on this board and makes it known regularly.

• Like 3

I am a new owner and am on a learning curve so please forgive my question if it is a no-brainier! My S12 has the Pistol Grip mod and does not have a bolt lock installed. It has the slot in it but no lock mechanism. When I asked the shop owner that sold me my S12 he stated you lose that option when modified, and no one makes a lock to fit after the PG modification. Fact or Fiction? If fiction were can I get the parts to rectify the lack of a bolt lock? :unsure:

Fiction. CSS (Carolina Shooters Supply) has them. They can be tricky to put in if you've never done it before. A pair of long handle needle nose pliers definitely comes in handy.

Don't mind Nalioth, he is better than everyone on this board and makes it known regularly.

better at being rude maybe, but nothing else...

As a quiet aside, some users also employ a modified (notched) safety lever to hold the bolt to the rear. You can either modify your current safety lever, or purchase one with the work already one.

IIRC, the Yugo M92 utilized this method of holding the bolt to the rear. It is not perfect, but it's better than nothing and at worst is just an opening for crud to enter the receiver through. It's an AK, and will kick the crud out anyway, but it is a hole.

Modified safety selectors with the notch already cut are available at several forum venders, to include CSS and Dinzag (gotta ship Dinzag a lever to work on, though)

All bickering aside, welcome to the forum, and enjoy the Saiga!

post-25215-092365200 1283531293_thumb.jpg

post-25215-072658900 1283531303_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If your gun has been converted to pistol grip configuration, odds are that they didn't mod the hammer since they didn't reinstall the BHO. If not, additionally your going to have to remove material equal to the thickness of the BHO from the hammer where the pin passes through on the RIGHT side. Typically the aftermarket FCG hammer is the same width as the inside of the receiver, your just taking off material to allow the BHO to be installed. Some other food for thought is that a few LRBHO designs are coming to market that may, or may not, be more desireable to you than the factory standard part that has to be manually engaged.

Nalioth it only takes a few seconds on a bench grinder to shorten and round off the shape of the BHO so that it doesn't hurt or accidentally engage. I do this mod to all mine.

Which increases the odds of it getting stuck in the receiver, giving you "permanent open bolt syndrome" w/o tearing down the weapon.

The factory BHO is a politically motivated added-after-the-fact POS.

LOL...man I know other AKs don't have them but what does politics have to do with them? The Russian guns also have them. There is no risk of a properly installed (or re adjusted) BHO getting stuck up in the receiver under normal use. The only way it can even go all the way up inside is if the spring pops off and / or the BHO is pushed up in such a way that it goes past the rail. If one pays attention while operating it then I don't see how that can happen normally. You would have to actually try to push it up in there that far it seems to me....

LOL...man I know other AKs don't have them but what does politics have to do with them?

It's all about "sporting firearms".

The more "sporting features" you have on your foreign firearm, the more "importation points" it has. The higher the number, the better chance the gun has of being imported into the USA as a "sporting arm" (non-sporting firearms are not allowed to be imported). This is why Glocks have "thumb rests" molded into their grips, as "thumb rests" are features found on "sporting guns".

"Sporting firearms" have bolt hold opens. Ergo, Izhmash came up with these shi**y BHOs to add "importation points" to the Saiga line.

The factory BHO is a politically motivated added-after-the-fact POS.

Having a BHO is a usefull tool for range (or other) work, in Europe the armies train to leave the weapon open on the range (bolt open) now when I first saw this I too cried BS but was informed that it assists with keeping the barrel cool, which makes perfect sense - especially on an AK based rifle with its slimline barrel.

So y'all please tell me why the US version of the Saiga line has the BHO, but Saigas meant for non-US customers don't.

Please have a look at these sites (you're looking at the non-USA versions of the Saiga), and show me the BHOs on them.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh07-e.htm

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/weapon.shtml

http://izhevsk.club.guns.ru/eng/saiga12.htm

http://www.izhmash-arms.ru/eim/imp/25.html

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/firearms_saiga12.htm

The BHO is a slapped-on-at-the-last-minute political kludge to get the Saiga line imported here.

Edited by nalioth

"The more "sporting features" you have on your foreign firearm, the more "importation points" it has. The higher the number, the better chance the gun has of being imported into the USA as a "sporting arm" (non-sporting firearms are not allowed to be imported). This is why Glocks have "thumb rests" molded into their grips, as "thumb rests" are features found on "sporting guns"."

Are you saying Glocks have "thumb rests" so they have features of a "sporting gun" and can be imported?

Edited by raidersfan_5544

"The more "sporting features" you have on your foreign firearm, the more "importation points" it has. The higher the number, the better chance the gun has of being imported into the USA as a "sporting arm" (non-sporting firearms are not allowed to be imported). This is why Glocks have "thumb rests" molded into their grips, as "thumb rests" are features found on "sporting guns"."

Are you saying Glocks have "thumb rests" so they have features of a "sporting gun" and be imported

Yes, I am.

Our importation system is the only reason the Glock (and other foreign semiautomatic pistols) has them.

Gah, what a load of BS. Put the tinfoil hat away man ). PIstol manufactures put thumb rests and other finger indentations in their firearms to aid in repeatability of grip placement which aids in accuracy. If factory AKs dont have BHO's its because the AK was designed to be mass produced as cheaply as possible. The BHO is not only a good feature but a much desired one. If it didnt come with one most owners would pay extra to have one added, oh wait, they already do that. If you keep everything you own in "factory intended" condition then you live a very boring life. You sound more like a guy worshiping Stalin than a guy from Texas.

Why do American gun manufactures put finger rests on their guns?

Gah, what a load of BS. Put the tinfoil hat away man ). PIstol manufactures put thumb rests and other finger indentations in their firearms to aid in repeatability of grip placement which aids in accuracy.

It's not tinfoil. Look it up.

Why do American gun manufactures put finger rests on their guns?

Because they're manufacturers of "target pistols"?

Why don't you name some American made semiauto pistols with "finger rests" built into the grip from the factory.

It would probably be easier to try and figure out which American gun manufacturers dont offer one or more of their handguns with finger grooves or thumb rests. How about you do that, name an American firearm company that does not offer any of their non "target" pistols in a configuration with finger grooves or thumb rests. Firearm manufactures here and around the world have almost always tried to take into account how the gun will fit the hand of its shooter. The only reason a firearm doesnt have those features are due to added cost or mass production ease.

• Like 1