Looking for Saiga buttstock w/o pistol grip

Hi guys, as you all know, the standard buttstock is not really well made and it's hollow, so what I'm looking for is something a bit more sturdy. Primarily I want to balance the weight since I have a POSP scope on it so it seems very unbalanced.

The only problem is I live in commiefornia and the lawmakers here decided that we were not worthy of pistol grips or even those thumbhole/dragunov style stocks.

So I am wondering if there are alternatives kinda like a M14 style stock?

If not and I am SOL, I can deal with it I guess

Second question is where do I find a good recoil pad for my saiga 308?

Thanks guys!

You can do whatever you want to an AK in CA, you just need to have it properly configured! and YES, you CAN have a pistol Grip in CA and if you know what you're doing you can even legally use highcap mags too if you use a Monsterman or Kydex grip to consider it a featureless build. Believe me...I have plenty of friends that are LEO's and they will back my statement up to the hilt!

Edited by RoughRider666

I don't care for the hollow plastic stock either, but I just ended up converting it to a pistol grip version. I also got a Ver21 with the wood thumbhole stock.

You should try reworking the factory stock by filling in the stock with something. You could add the weight where you want and then use foam to beef it up. You can play with the weight placement and amounts by taping bullets in before you glue it. You could also coat the outside with epoxy to give it texture where you grasp it(like they do on precision bolt guns) and do a smoother finish over the entire stock for a more substantial feel. I have considered stipling the stock with a hot iron to give it more texture. Another option is using a rubberized truck bead coating on the outside of the stock w/ weights & foam inside. All those options are cheap and worst case you scrap it if you are unhappy. A replacement factory stock is very easy to find on the used market.

If you want, there is also factory wood stocks, but you will have to look on the used market and they aren't real cheap. You could also try Ironwood Design if you want a new stock set.

• 4 weeks later...