A different mindset

Please only respond if you own or are in the process of obtaining an NFA item  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When waiting for your form 1 or form 4 to come back, what do you do?

• Track every little detail you can, date the check is cashed, date of approval, etc.
    • Wait impatiently for it to come back, possibly growing irritable when it takes too long, without contacting the ATF to inquire on progress
    • Put in your form, forget about it, then have a pleasant surprise when your form comes back approved and you get to take possession of your item.

For my first transfer, the second option describes me. For my second, I took the third option. I came to the conclusion that it will take however long it takes, and that tracking it or being frustrated about it won't make my form come back faster. As much as I dislike the process, and the fact that I cannot take immediate possession of my purchase without a muddling through a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit, adopting that mindset means I get to enjoy the whole process a lot more. Instead of being frustrated for a few months, then having that frustration relieved when the wait is over, I get to set the whole thought aside and just be pleasantly surprised when all of a sudden I get to go pick up my new toy.

Clearly, a form 1 might be a little different from the form 4s I've done, since you already have the item in hand and you're just waiting for paperwork to attach a buttstock or chop a barrel.

I keep track of every step:

1) The time it took from sending the envelope "overnight" to date/time and signature of who received it, (AVG 2 days)

2) Received to check cashed, (AVG 5 days)

3) Cashed to Pending, (AVG 40 days)

4) Pending to Approved, AVG 35 days)

5) Approved to Forms in dealers hands, (AVG 4 days)

6) Forms received to NFA item in my hand. (AVG 1 day)

AVG = my average time over the past 9 items....10 is currently pending. It isn't that hard and lets you see the progress...especially when it isn't your first you kinda know when to expect things.

Hope this helped some,

MCASSgt New River

That is useful information, especially averaged over the course of multiple transfers. Thanks for the response!

I just got some irritating information. I use a trust to hold my NFA items. Well, using the same exact wording that has been approved before, I just had a form come back with a correction letter; supposed to read "First Name Last Name Revocable Living Trust" instead of "Revocable living trust of First Name Last Name". So if I use the new recommended wording and another inspector handles my next transfer, that one will come back with a correction letter :rolleyes:

Well, at least it tells me that my approved form will be back in a couple of weeks. Time to forget about it for a few weeks.

It isn't that hard and lets you see the progress

+1 I never worry about it, but I do keep track by calling occasionally. I seem to have more trouble worrying about companies taking my money and delivering nothing but excuses. So little integrity in the world today....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few days before my stamp came, I was close to calling and checking on progress or status, but really haven't had time to do it. I was pleasantly surprised when the mail came yesterday :smoke: I was beginning to wonder what I filled out that was incorrect.

Apparently.... I dun good fer my first time ciferin one uh dem forms :grimace:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://blog.princelaw.com/2012/01/20/shot-show-2012-atf-town-hall-meeting-and-nfatca-meeting-dealers-and-manufacturers-take-notice/

"The issue of ATF Form 1 and Form 4 processing was also brought up. ATF’s response was that they are under the hiring freeze of the DOJ and while they have attempted to bring in temporary employees and move people around from different departments, due to the increase in NFA applications, the wait time of 4 – 6 months is not likely to change anytime soon."

• 1 month later...

I pick # 3

I'm 6 months two weeks into this transfer.....

my best was 8 weeks door to door.

I used to average 120 days. Those days are long gone.

I read somewhere once that one ATF agent broke a record and did four thousand forms in a day.

I hear now there are over one hundred twenty thousand forms waiting to be approved or denied.

This is all forms for NFA not just F1's.