Saiga .308 with muzzle brake

I was wondering how a muzzle brake would be added to the .308 Saiga with

the 16.5" barrel. The end of the sight to the tip of the barrel is so short it looks

like it would be very difficult to do. Has anyone personally done this? If so, which

brake did you use?

Ed

• 1 month later...

I am goinna get in contact with a local gunsmith and try to put a good muzzle brake on my Saiga 308 in wood. The front sight goes all the way to the end of the barrel, I hope to keep welding to a last resort, I will keep ya posted to how it turns out :super:

Just outa curiosity, dooes anyone know how the front sight is installed on a 308 saiga wood?

It looks pretty odd in making, is it welded on? or is it just pinned or pressed on.

I have found a muzzle brake I like... I feel that the Israeli Muzzle Brakes will do great justice for this rifle.

I am getting mine from http://www.entreprise.com/

They have 3 main diffrent types...

I think I will Get the one with set screws, threading a barrel is expensive and has small legal issues I think.

ALL I REALLY NEED TO DO NOW IS FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOVE THAT FRONT SIGHT ASSEMBLY BACK A HALF INCH! :unsure:

P.S. Does anyone have the Saiga Wood with 22in BBL, and a Micrometer, or a method of gettting the OUTSIDE diameter of the barrel down to the thousanths of an inch?

post-6-1079285035.jpg

Edited by Job_of_Uz

You have some work ahead of you. The barrel is turned down to make a step under the FSB. Additionally there is a sleeve between the FSB and the barrel. You will have to remove to pins that hold the FSB onto the barrel and remove the sleeve. Then you can turn the barrel down the appropriate amount for an additional 1/2 inch so that you can move the FSB back onto the barrel. You will have to then add the grooves in the barrel for the retaining pins. This is assuming that you have the barrel removed from the front trunnion/receiver so that you can put it on a lathe.

Hint: welding is easier.

Edited by ak01q

Hmmm,

I will think about welding, but I want it removable, for legality reasons. (I also have a AWC thundertrap threaded for my M1A that I may want to try out on it later :angel: )

I like to keep everything removable and changable... Keeps the gun fun! If I have to weld it and later get tired of it, that means I may have to sell it or do some major grinding.

I could just remove the front sight all together and use a scope for sights!

Or maybe I can modify, remove material form the front sight itself... Just maybe.

Lathe work is too much to handle for such a project.

THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE PUSH PINS! I was wondering about that!

I got a 6 inch Dial Caliper from Sears today for 30 bucks, It says my barrel diameter was about 0.695 inches. I will need to see of I can get a brake that diameter now.

• 4 weeks later...